06-22-2015, 09:57 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
My first straight razor just came in today and I'm super excited!!  Although I'm ready to lather up and try it out, I'll probably wait until I find a good strop. Plus I'm still a little skeerd. Biggrin

I'm still working on taking better photos and while I'm not there yet, at least my thumb isn't in the picture. Thumbsup

Ralf Aust - Solingen 6/8 African Blackwood Spanish Point

[Image: JdsVaSp.jpg]
[Image: LFdkxDF.jpg]
[Image: BQgYWH9.jpg]

18 260
 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Nice Photos. Enjoy the Razor!

59 4,385
 06-22-2015, 10:55 AM
User Info
Looks like a beauty!  I only have about 6 straight shaves or should I say "partial" shaves under my belt so long way to go but at least now I am not afraid of it!  Smile

2 116
 06-22-2015, 11:10 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Very nice razor, enjoy.

0 403
 06-22-2015, 11:38 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, nice looking razor. If it came with a shave ready edge you shouldn't need to strop it to try your first shave.  Many places that hone them to make sure they have a good edge before sending them out recommend not stropping a razor before the first shave. That eliminates you messing the edge up by poor stropping and lets you know what a good edge should feel like. Strop it before your second shave and if the razor feels duller than the first shave it is a clue that your stropping is off. 

Nothing to be sacred off if you take your time and don't try anything you are uncomfortable attempting to do. I would not try a full 3 pass shave first go. Maybe settle for a WTG pass on the cheek and finish with a DE.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
Bob has some great advice there, put that beautiful razor to use and get a strop on the way ASAP!

4 41
 06-22-2015, 12:33 PM
User Info
For me my first shave with a straight I shaved my cheeks only. Also let my beard grow out for a day or 2 so I could see the hair under the lather. I shaved my cheeks. Felt a little more confident so I shaved my chin. Felt a little more confident so I shaved the sides of my neck. I did use a de for mustache and middle of my neck. The more you use a straight the more comfortable you will get. Just prep the best you can and don't skip on it especially that first shave. I would pick my slickest lather and if you do preshave apply it as well. Just go slow and don't be scared use as little pressure as needed and don't get confident yet on your first shave. Take your time even if that means only lathering in small sections at a time . I'm not going to tell you shaving with a straight is easy its not, and has a learning curve. Make sure you have plenty of time and if you have a wife or kids just tell them you need to concentrate in the bathroom or shaveden whatever you call where you shave. I find it pretty hard to shave with kids screaming .

3 1,356
 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
It will shave very smooth. I have that razor from SRD. As mentioned, if it is not shave ready, send it out to be honed professionally. The learning curve with straights is long enough, don't add to it by having an uncomfortable shave or two. 

Strops are essential to straight shaving. You will not keep any edge long without daily stropping.

7 441
 06-22-2015, 03:28 PM
User Info
Tim:
Forgot to mention in my earlier post, If that razor has come to you and is not shave ready I would be happy to hone it for you, no charge, just shoot me a PM.

4 41
 06-22-2015, 03:48 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I did get this from SRD so I think that it is shave ready. I moved the razor by some hairs on my arm (not against my skin)and it made a plinking sound and cut the hairs pretty easily. Thanks for the honing offer as well. You just can't beat the good group of guys here at TSN. I'm going to take this really slow and not rush it.

18 260
 06-22-2015, 05:01 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Congrats on the razor!

9 1,684
 06-22-2015, 05:05 PM
User Info
Congrats!! Now just sit back and watch them multiply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

64 337
 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
Nice razor! I got my R Aust 5/8 several weeks ago with a strop. I have 3 shaves under my belt. Only WTG. And at that it feels like I am not taking anything off. My left hand is week and I need to learn to use it better on the left side of my face. Stropping takes some time I do some after my shave and again before my shave it's a good work out . Good luck enjoy it.

21 447
 06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
User Info
Will the razor pass the HHT or hanging hair test?

3 1,356
 06-22-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
(06-22-2015, 05:20 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Will the razor pass the HHT or hanging hair test? Also at least the straights I have the seal was broken on the paper and mine had a little sticker saying honed by____ . 

3 1,356
 06-22-2015, 05:28 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very nice razor. It will give great shaves for a lifetime is well cared for. Enjoy.

38 5,031
 06-22-2015, 06:38 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(06-22-2015, 03:48 PM)ncguy1 Wrote: Thank you everyone for the great advice. I did get this from SRD so I think that it is shave ready. I moved the razor by some hairs on my arm (not against my skin)and it made a plinking sound and cut the hairs pretty easily. Thanks for the honing offer as well. You just can't beat the good group of guys here at TSN. I'm going to take this really slow and not rush it.

From what I have read SRD has a reputation for sending out shave ready razors that they have honed before sending. I would just go ahead and try it without stropping it for the first shave. Yes you will need a strop to help maintain the edge by stropping before a shave but stropping is a double edged sword. If you strop correctly you will help maintain the edge but if you make a mistake you can also dull the blade. There is no sense in taking a chance on dulling the edge by stropping a razor that is more than likely shave ready before the first shave.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(06-22-2015, 11:38 AM)BobH Wrote: I would not try a full 3 pass shave first go. Maybe settle for a WTG pass on the cheek and finish with a DE.

Bob

That's probably what I'll try first just to get the hang of it.

Quote:Otis375 Wrote:

Will the razor pass the HHT or hanging hair test? Also at least the straights I have the seal was broken on the paper and mine had a little sticker saying honed by____ .

Yep it will cut a single hair. It seems pretty sharp. Thumbsup  The wax paper had been opened but there was no sticker.

Quote:Posted by Otis375 - 6 hours ago

For me my first shave with a straight I shaved my cheeks only. Also let my beard grow out for a day or 2 so I could see the hair under the lather. I shaved my cheeks. Felt a little more confident so I shaved my chin. Felt a little more confident so I shaved the sides of my neck. I did use a de for mustache and middle of my neck. The more you use a straight the more comfortable you will get. Just prep the best you can and don't skip on it especially that first shave. I would pick my slickest lather and if you do preshave apply it as well. Just go slow and don't be scared use as little pressure as needed and don't get confident yet on your first shave. Take your time even if that means only lathering in small sections at a time . I'm not going to tell you shaving with a straight is easy its not, and has a learning curve. Make sure you have plenty of time and if you have a wife or kids just tell them you need to concentrate in the bathroom or shave den whatever you call where you shave. I find it pretty hard to shave with kids screaming .

I told my wife that I was going to need complete and utter peace and quiet while I embark on this journey. She said that I could give her money to go shopping and then I could have the house to myself. Facepalm

18 260
 06-22-2015, 07:50 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(06-22-2015, 06:38 PM)BobH Wrote: From what I have read SRD has a reputation for sending out shave ready razors that they have honed before sending. I would just go ahead and try it without stropping it for the first shave. Yes you will need a strop to help maintain the edge by stropping before a shave but stropping is a double edged sword. If you strop correctly you will help maintain the edge but if you make a mistake you can also dull the blade. There is no sense in taking a chance on dulling the edge by stropping a razor that is more than likely shave ready before the first shave.

Bob

I've watched a bunch of videos on using a strop but I know it's going to take some practice. I've used wet-stones before on knives but never a strop. I still haven't (or can't) decide which strop to get.

18 260
 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM
User Info
I am new to straights too with a few under my belt but not many!  I too just did cheeks, then moved down towards jawline, some chin and then some neck but mainly where it was relatively flat or I could make flatter by stretching the skin!  I am getting to do two passes with a straight then use a DE to cleanup the shave as the jawline, chin and neck areas are still a bit harder to get close shave with the straight.  

I also need a good strop and looking at this one.  I do not know if it is good or not but it was recommended to me so I might get one.  I am sure others (or I hope others) will chime in about this strop if it is or isn't a real good one!

Enjoy!

2 116