06-22-2015, 01:02 PM
User Info
I've read a couple of posts where people mentioned "super lather" in passing. It's my understanding a super lather is when you use both a puck of soap and a cream combined to make your lather. My guess is that you load your brush first from the puck and then dip it in the cream, but I'm not sure. Could someone who has done a super lather tell me more about it. It sounds like it might be a nice thing to do.

1 142
 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Hi Gordon, at a high level, a super lather involves loading your brush per usual from a soap. Squeeze a dollop of cream into a bowl then build your bowl lather, adding small amounts of water as needed per your usual build technique. Keep in mind during loading your brush that you will be adding cream to the mix- adjust accordingly so you don't overdo it.

A great shave is born! (I exclusively face lather but have tried super lather on occasion to good result).

2 1,180
 06-22-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
Thanks Kevin. Your way makes more sense. I'll be trying it tomorrow morning. Biggrin

1 142
 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-22-2015, 01:18 PM)gordon55 Wrote: Thanks Kevin. Your way makes more sense. I'll be trying it tomorrow morning. Biggrin

Good luck and let us know how it goes! 

I neglected to mention that you could scoop a small amount (almond-ish size) if your cream is in a tub. Some take it even further with "Uber" lather and add a bit of glycerin to the lather bowl. Have never tried the latter but don't have particularly sensitive skin.

2 1,180
 06-22-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
(06-22-2015, 01:16 PM)kwsher Wrote: Hi Gordon, at a high level, a super lather involves loading your brush per usual from a soap. Squeeze a dollop of cream into a bowl then build your bowl lather, adding small amounts of water as needed per your usual build technique. Keep in mind during loading your brush that you will be adding cream to the mix- adjust accordingly so you don't overdo it.

A great shave is born! (I exclusively face lather but have tried super lather on occasion to good result).

Great Advice. I don't ever super lather, but the few times I have, I would just place the cream on the brush after lathering the soap, and proceed to face lathering. 

I got the same results from super lathers as I did to from lathering one product, so I personally do not see the need for it. YMMV of course!

46 1,102
 06-22-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
Well, I couldn't wait until the morning. After all what's a five o'clock shadow good for if not an excuse to try something new. The first picture is of the size of the dollop of Geo F. Trumper's cream in a bowl. 
[Image: XPxXeQ9.jpg]
The next picture is of the brush loaded with Krampert's Frostbite soap before working it in the bowl.
[Image: bhY0636.jpg]
The next picture is of the brush loaded after I'd worked it in the bowl with the dollop of Geo F. Trumper's cream.
[Image: NVuKpVi.jpg]
There was lather left in the bowl. This points to the fact that you would have to be careful not to be wasteful, but really the thing that surprised me was how fast and easy it was to get a truly super lather. I could get this good a lather from a puck using some of my soaps but no where near as easily. I followed up with a shave and it was very nice too. I don't think it's something that I'd do everyday, but I might do it occasionally for a special occasion. Thanks for teaching me how to do this.  Biggrin

1 142
 06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
User Info
I guess it is an effective way to get a brush really loaded with soap..
and fun to get things going like this  Smile

21 1,175
 06-22-2015, 02:43 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Claus is our resident expert and I'm sure will be happy to share his techniques.  I have done it in the past by applying a small amount of cream to my face, similar to a pre-shave, then loading the brush with soap and face lather as usual.  Using two products that lather well can easily lead to heaps of lather that in the end gets washed down the sink, but I'm sure if you were frugal with your loading then a nice balance could be achieved.  Overall, I am very happy with the soaps in my rotation and see nothing (other than an interesting scent combination) that could be gained from adding a cream so I have eliminated all but one cream from my den.

144 2,743
 06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
(06-22-2015, 01:24 PM)kwsher Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 01:18 PM)gordon55 Wrote: Thanks Kevin. Your way makes more sense. I'll be trying it tomorrow morning. Biggrin

Good luck and let us know how it goes! 

I neglected to mention that you could scoop a small amount (almond-ish size) if your cream is in a tub. Some take it even further with "Uber" lather and add a bit of glycerin to the lather bowl. Have never tried the latter but don't have particularly sensitive skin.

I add glycerin in my bowl to build a super or Uber lather. Use to do this quite often but have shied away as my soaps lately have produced wonderful volumes of lather.

103 2,038
 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
User Info
I SuperLather 95% of my shaves these days.

I found that most soaps would dry out my skin, and if I only use creams I lack slickness and thickness in the lather.

Superlather gives me the benefits from the soap and the benefits from the cream mixed into one.
A bowl is not necessary at all to SuperLather.

I'm a face lather, and never bowl lather to safe my life.

I go about making the SuperLather this way:

First wet my face, then rub the cream into my stubbles with my fingers, massaging it into a light creamy lather.
Then dip my wet brush into the soap pot and swirl and load the brush like I hate it  Biggrin

Then I begin to face lather the brush with the soap directly on top of the cream I have on my face.

You get a very thick dense protective lather this way.
You have to build the lather little by little and add water drop by drop to the brush.

Usually it takes me 3-5 minutes before I'm contempt with my lather - depending on the products I use.

It does take an extra 4-5 minutes to super lather, but it's worth it to me.

For instance Martin de Candre mixed with Musgo Real cream gives me the post shave feel I'm looking for, and feel is missing from using MDC by itself.

24 5,962
 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
Claus, 

Thanks for all the good information.   Smile I'll try your technique next time I shave.

1 142
 06-22-2015, 06:25 PM
User Info
(06-22-2015, 04:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I SuperLather 95% of my shaves these days.
I found that most soaps would dry out my skin, and if I only use creams I lack slickness and thickness in the lather.

Sounds like you might need to stop using most of your commercial soaps, my friend, and stick to the ones with the more simple and 'natural' ingredients such as Haslinger, Cold River, et cetera which, more than likely, don't contribute to drying out your skin.  Smile

82 21,076
 06-22-2015, 09:52 PM
User Info
Most soaps will dry out your skin, because these soaps naturally have high PH levels. You could use any soap without the drying effect if after you shave, you neutralize your skins PH with a toner of such that is PH Balanced. Long term effects of using soap on your skin is pretty harsh. Obviously much better to use natural soaps vesus irish spring on your face, but still not the best without balancing the skins PH after. I haven't had anything to use for a long time to bring the PH levels of my skin back to normal (because i would rather invest in shaving gear) but recently purchased a couple Hydrosols for the first time in a long time, so i'll be getting back into the swing of things over here shortly without any drying feeling on my skin what so ever after a shave.  

Hope this helps someone and sorry for getting off the topic at hand.

46 1,102
 06-22-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for your insights and I have been using unrefined shea butter for over 15 years, so I have no concern with dry skin! It seems like it is, actually, keeping me looking younger!  Biggrin

82 21,076
 06-22-2015, 10:22 PM
User Info
Unrefined Shea butter will definitely keep your skin very youthful! But I can't use it! Great stuff though. Don't stop!

46 1,102
 06-23-2015, 12:24 AM
User Info
I opened this thread thinking I'd say something about super lathering being wasteful, but after reading that there may be actual benefits other than just having a ton of lather to work, I may just give this a go. Though I primarily use creams and don't really have any soap/cream combos that would work well together scent-wise. May have to pick something up and give it a whirl!

4 63
 06-23-2015, 01:38 AM
User Info
Quote:Then dip my wet brush into the soap pot and swirl and load the brush like I hate it  Biggrin

Usually it takes me 3-5 minutes before I'm contempt with my lather - depending on the products I use.

Load it like you hate it... contempt leads to contention. that one was just notable with the "hate it" theme Smile

(06-22-2015, 09:52 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: Most soaps will dry out your skin, because these soaps naturally have high PH levels.

Soaps do dry out the skin not  because of pH level but because of their detergent properties, making oils water-soluable and stripping the skin of its hydrophobic barrier.

BTW there is a product called LUSH that is not soap based, and recommended by Mr. Schechter
at 7:00
I was not feeling like instantly buying the product with mixed reviews existing; Howard Schechter has made many good points and I tend to take my time until I am converted. Wink

21 1,175
 06-23-2015, 03:47 AM
User Info
Claus,

I just had a wonderful shave that started using your method. Here is how the shave progressed.

1. I rubbed shaving cream on my face, working it in as if I were working in a pre-shave cream. 
  2. After I had my face covered using a surprisingly small amount of cream, I took a few drops of water and massaged that in.
  3. I then took my Simpson Tulip brush and worked it in a tub of Krampert's Frostbite soap until it was loaded.
  4. I then worked the brush over my face and got a nice thick lather, which I finished up by using painting strokes.
  5. I then did a nice three pass shave. There was plenty of thick rich lather.
  6. After rinsing with cool water, I patted my face dry.
  7. I then put on a splash of Thayer's Witch Hazel and waited for it to dry.
  8. I then put on a splash of Krampert's Frostbite after shave and waited for it to dry.
  9. I then put on a pea size amount of L'Occitane's L'Occitan shave balm.
My face feels Great and nicely moisturized. The lather was very nice throughout without being excessive. A really DFS. Thanks.  Smile

1 142
 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-23-2015, 03:47 AM)gordon55 Wrote: Claus,

I just had a wonderful shave that started using your method. Here is how the shave progressed.

1. I rubbed shaving cream on my face, working it in as if I were working in a pre-shave cream. 
  2. After I had my face covered using a surprisingly small amount of cream, I took a few drops of water and massaged that in.
  3. I then took my Simpson Tulip brush and worked it in a tub of Krampert's Frostbite soap until it was loaded.
  4. I then worked the brush over my face and got a nice thick lather, which I finished up by using painting strokes.
  5. I then did a nice three pass shave. There was plenty of thick rich lather.
  6. After rinsing with cool water, I patted my face dry.
  7. I then put on a splash of Thayer's Witch Hazel and waited for it to dry.
  8. I then put on a splash of Krampert's Frostbite after shave and waited for it to dry.
  9. I then put on a pea size amount of L'Occitane's L'Occitan shave balm.
My face feels Great and nicely moisturized. The lather was very nice throughout without being excessive. A really DFS. Thanks.  Smile

Sounds (and looks) like you have found a path to a great shave! Well done and glad that it worked out with a couple of different options.

2 1,180
 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
The only times I superlather is when i'm trying finish a tube of SC that I don't like. But superlathers are nice when done.

10 963