06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
I think I've found a cheap, yet effective, post-shave treatment.

It involves:

. Rubbing a block of 444 alum (or any other high-quality alum) on your face
. Putting 444 aftershave balm on your hand
. Squirting a small amount of Thayer's original alcohol-free witch hazel to the same hand you put the 444 aftershave balm on
. Rubbing the mixture of Thayer's and 444 AS balm on your face

Does anyone do this? If so, does it yield good results?

0 214
 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 12:17 PM)Pnume Wrote: Does anyone do this? If so, does it yield good results?

not yet, but i have a tube of 444 that i have no idea what to do with and also have Thayers (original aloe vera), so may give it at try.

8 2,718
 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 01:13 PM)brucered Wrote: not yet, but i have a tube of 444 that i have no idea what to do with and also have Thayers (original aloe vera), so may give it at try.

I'm sure it'll be effective. If you look at any of the aftershaves that are claimed to have great healing properties, such as Speick, they'll usually always contain witch hazel and, sometimes, alum.

I'm sure the quality of witch hazel varies a lot, but Thayer's seems to be a highly regarded brand.

0 214
 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM
User Info
does your 444 coming oozing out as soon as you take the cap off? i just went up to sniff and look at it again and a bunch came out.

i put the cap on, tried again and a bunch oozed out again.

i'm assuming it's because it's new and not used and the pressure inside is forcing it out...i guess i'll have to start using it soon.

MdC is up in a few days (once i finish off QCS Tangerine), so it will go nicely with that.

8 2,718
 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-18-2012, 12:17 PM)Pnume Wrote: Does anyone do this? If so, does it yield good results?

Hi

I do similar (but without the aftershave) with good results...
  • Rinse face with warm water.
  • Then re-rinse face with cold water.
  • Gently rub Alum block over freshly shaved face.
  • Clean up and put away shaving stuff.
  • Rinse face again with cold water, don't want to leave the properties of the Alum block sitting on (my) skin.
  • Very lightly pat down freshly shaved face.
  • Apply Thayers (alcohol free) Witch Hazel.
  • 10 to 15 minutes later apply aftershave (alcohol free) balm.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Seems like it would work well. I will try this sometime this week.

10 1,858
 06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
WH mixed with rose water is nice too.

9 1,199
 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
User Info
thanks Pnume. i trid it this morning and my face still feels great.

i little dab of 444 and a quick squirt of Thatyer Aloe WH (with alcohol, only 1 i have) and smeared it together and applied to my face.

it went on kind of tacky, but left my face feeling great and my face was not tacky after it absorbed.

i picked up the 444 not knowing what i'd do with it, so at least now i have 1 product to mix it with and it worked well.

8 2,718
 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'm wondering if 444 (which contains glycerin) wouldn't be a good way to add a bit of skin care to "aftershave" that is really just a weak cologne?

10 1,858
 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 05:43 PM)mikeperry Wrote:

Hi

• Rinse face again with cold water, don't want to leave the properties of the Alum block sitting on (my) skin.

Take care, Mike

*Mike, i have a very similar routine to yours except after my Thayers has dried, two minutes, maximum, i use Unrefined Shea Butter as a "balm" to finish off the shave. i have not found anything that keeps my skin as soft and moisturized all day as this great product.

75 20,883
 06-20-2012, 06:59 AM
User Info
i used the 444 today with some Captains Choice Bay Rum. normally i get a burn with the CC, but with the 444 mixed, it was great and i still got the bay rum scent, which i love.

this 444 is looking very versatile for me right now and has me thinking of getting a full bottle of Captains Choice. not a fan of the sting, but if i can mix it with 444, i'd be happy with that.

8 2,718
 06-20-2012, 01:53 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-19-2012, 08:17 PM)celestino Wrote: *Mike, i have a very similar routine to yours except after my Thayers has dried, two minutes, maximum, i use Unrefined Shea Butter as a "balm" to finish off the shave. i have not found anything that keeps my skin as soft and moisturized all day as this great product.

Hi celestino

Where do you get the Unrefined Shea Butter from?

What is the consistency of Unrefined Shea Butter ie Does it go on easily?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info

Hi

Take care, Mike

Mike that is exactly what I have been doing the last couple of weeks, with the best results I've had since I started wet shaving. My technique is better too, but this regimen has been working well!!

15 185
 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
444 and HW again today, let dry and absorb and finished with Proraso alcohol free balm....WOWSERS, that was nice too.

8 2,718
 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-21-2012, 12:08 PM)Qhead Wrote: Mike that is exactly what I have been doing the last couple of weeks, with the best results I've had since I started wet shaving. My technique is better too, but this regimen has been working well!!

Hi

Good to hear such a post-shave routine is working well for you Thumbup

It took me awhile to settle on (stumble upon) that particular routine, but since doing so I've not looked back, plus I still get to tryout new products, change things up slightly, within the routine ie different Witch Hazels and Aftershave Balms.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(06-18-2012, 02:24 PM)brucered Wrote: does your 444 coming oozing out as soon as you take the cap off? i just went up to sniff and look at it again and a bunch came out.

i put the cap on, tried again and a bunch oozed out again.

i'm assuming it's because it's new and not used and the pressure inside is forcing it out...i guess i'll have to start using it soon.

I think it's the metal tube. What I found with paints in metal tubes is:
  • The take less pressure than you'd think to get them to work.
  • If you press it too much and then get the cap back on, it just sits there under pressure, waiting for its chance.
  • Unlike a plastic tube, once you squish it down too far, you're stuck with the consequences.

10 1,858
 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info

Hi

Take care, Mike

Agree. Feel that it's important to : Clean; Tone; and Moisturize your skin as a part of shaving.

5 410