06-18-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
I have finally ordered a knot, but I would like some guidance on the loft. It is the 30mm 2-band finest from TGN.

I have done some research and see that most Shavemacs are in the mid 60's with the exception of the 167, which is 54mm. The Chubby 3 is 56mm. Vulfix 40 is 60mm. I had read somewhere that 51mm was a good loft for a TGN knot, but can't find it to see which grade it was.

I would love to hear from people who have big brushes, and especially those who have used the TGN 30mm finest. Thanks all.

0 103
 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
Something useful to add is how scrubby you like your brushes. Any examples?

7 1,179
 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
Sorry I don't have much brush experience. I started wet shaving with a Tweezerman a year and a half ago. A little over a year ago I got a Grosvenor mixed hair. The tweezerman did not feel scritchy to me if that helps. I like the Grosvenor, but I head shave, and would like to load once from the soap puck. Plus I have a big round head, and would like to try a bigger brush. I face/head lather pretty much every time I shave, I like the feeling. The Grosvenor is getting scratchy, and upon inspection the boar hairs are breaking off the spit ends. It started out with just a few, but it is now a considerable number.

I really have never been much for creams, I probably use them 5% of the time. I used to use sticks more than soap, but for the past couple months I have only used soaps. I have been on a weekly rotation of QCS Rose Otto and Provence, and Arlington if it helps any.

0 103
 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 12:44 PM)Saliavin Wrote: I have finally ordered a knot, but I would like some guidance on the loft. It is the 30mm 2-band finest from TGN.

I have done some research and see that most Shavemacs are in the mid 60's with the exception of the 167, which is 54mm. The Chubby 3 is 56mm. Vulfix 40 is 60mm. I had read somewhere that 51mm was a good loft for a TGN knot, but can't find it to see which grade it was.

I would love to hear from people who have big brushes, and especially those who have used the TGN 30mm finest. Thanks all.

Collin, I have a 30mm TGN at ~54mm loft (2 band). I don't remember what it was supposed to be, but I just used my caliper and that's where it came out.

I'm basically a 'face latherer' and I like the larger brushes (24-26) with ~48 loft. This is certainly my largest. The brush is great, but with a few problems:

It's definitely a soap hog, big time.

The handle, by definition, needs to be huge. So buyer be ware.

Making a long story short... I wouldn't want it any longer, nor much shorter.

2 546
 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
User Info
Good luck, sir. Way too big for me, but it depends on how scrubby you want it and how much backbone. Shorter loft, more backbone and scrub; longer loft, less backbone and a bit less scrubby.
What Bob suggested is fine advice.

75 20,883
 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
Bob, thank you. The knot should get in today in the post, and hopefully I will have time to swing by a DIY store and pick up some RTV Silicone.

0 103
 06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 08:37 AM)Saliavin Wrote: Bob, thank you. The knot should get in today in the post, and hopefully I will have time to swing by a DIY store and pick up some RTV Silicone.

Collin, you're welcome.

Please keep us posted. Maybe a pic.

2 546
 06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I like big brushes, they're all I use. I'd try to fight the urge to have them with too low of loft but that's a YMMV thing. Here are two that I made with TGN 2 band finest. The blue handle is 28mm with a 60mm loft and the purple is 30mm with a 58mm loft. Notice the difference in the bloom. I just made up a 30mm silver tip with a 60 loft and it's quite a bit different in feel from from the 2 band as you would expect. It's to new to have formed much of an opinion on yet. I made up a bunch of 30mm handles so I'll probably do at least one more silver tip.
[Image: Kaput_004.jpg]
image hosting adult
A few more 30mm handles. The 30mm silver tip went in the orange handle.
[Image: PIF_004.jpg]
picture hosting

12 743
 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
(06-18-2012, 12:44 PM)Saliavin Wrote: I have finally ordered a knot, but I would like some guidance on the loft. It is the 30mm 2-band finest from TGN.

TGN finest are fairly stiff knots, I don't have a knot that large but I've set my two 24mm knots at 50 and 52 mm, the one set at 50mm is very scrubby. The ratio I've seen most often is around 2 to 1, 2mm of loft for every 1 of knot diameter. I always practice set my knots with washers and a hot glue gun before I make it permanent. The hot glue works until I find my optimum feel.

3 68
 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM
User Info
Here it is, I decided to set it at 58mm. I made a shelf with a burr while widening the hole, so I just put a little RTV Silicone on the shelf, and stuck the knot in. I did this so if I want, I can remove it and change how I set it.

I let it cure all day, and late last night gave it a test lather. Used a puck of Williams, which I have not in the past gotten a good lather from. Well, I have never seen such lather from Williams. Wow! I think the amount of water this brush holds works perfect with the thirst of Williams. Gonna have to use Williams sometime here again. Anyway here is the post bloom shot.

Used it this morning, it is so soft. It had good feel, and not even close to the floppiness of the Tweezerman I started out with. I can't believe I waited so long before doing this. I will probably make a handle, but the Omega Pro handle feels very nice, and it being lightweight certainly helps. I didn't think the brush weighed much more than my Grosvenor.

Goal accomplished!! I was able to shave my face and head without having to load the brush twice. Yippee!

0 103
 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
You have a excellent brush. It will even have a nicer feel after a few more shaves. Congrats.

12 743