06-18-2012, 02:15 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Today I shaved using an SE razor for the first time ever. The razor was a Schick G1 and I used a Schick blade.

First impressions:

This razor is aggressive without being dangerous. It mowed my beard but didn't cut, nick, or burn. I was surprised at this.

The angle is not hard to learn. This razor makes a very loud scritching sound as it cuts the beard, so if you hear that sound you have the angle right, otherwise you don't.

I did a three pass shave, just as I do with a DE. I always do a "touch up" pass at the very end to get any spots of stubble remaining. This pass today was considerably different from my DE shaves. There was less stubble and it cleaned up very quickly using little short rapid hacking like strokes.

The result was a BBS and no burn. This razor impresses me a lot. I'm also going to like that the blades last at least twice as long as DE blades and maybe more.

I would urge anyone out there to at least give one of these SE razors a try. They are quite nice!

And thank you to the kind gentleman who sent me this razor to try out!

0 396
 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
I have an schick adjustable injector razor which is nice to shave with.
I hope you enjoy the razor like I do Biggrin

0 197
 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 02:15 PM)uncledave Wrote: Today I shaved using an SE razor for the first time ever. The razor was a Schick G1 and I used a Schick blade.

First impressions:

This razor is aggressive without being dangerous. It mowed my beard but didn't cut, nick, or burn. I was surprised at this.

The angle is not hard to learn. This razor makes a very loud scritching sound as it cuts the beard, so if you hear that sound you have the angle right, otherwise you don't.

I did a three pass shave, just as I do with a DE. I always do a "touch up" pass at the very end to get any spots of stubble remaining. This pass today was considerably different from my DE shaves. There was less stubble and it cleaned up very quickly using little short rapid hacking like strokes.

The result was a BBS and no burn. This razor impresses me a lot. I'm also going to like that the blades last at least twice as long as DE blades and maybe more.

I would urge anyone out there to at least give one of these SE razors a try. They are quite nice!

Dave,

Follow these instuctions and you will always get an excellent shave with a G1.

173 23,559
 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 06:21 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 02:15 PM)uncledave Wrote: Today I shaved using an SE razor for the first time ever. The razor was a Schick G1 and I used a Schick blade.

First impressions:

Dave,

Follow these instuctions and you will always get an excellent shave with a G1.

Thanks Johnny! I was very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable this razor was. I will be using it quite a bit I think.

0 396
 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
UncleDave, did it feel like you were cheating cause it was sooo easy? Biggrin

31 7,914
 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I think it's really funny that the warning in huge letters in the article Johnny posted was not about using the razor incorrectly, being careful with used blades, etc but that you can only use schick blades in the schick razor...

0 353
 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 07:55 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: UncleDave, did it feel like you were cheating cause it was sooo easy? Biggrin

Heh heh heh. It was definitely easy. The easiest part was finding the proper angle. It makes a loud sound when it cuts whiskers so it's easy to know if you're holding it right. Biggrin

0 396
 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 07:59 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 07:55 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: UncleDave, did it feel like you were cheating cause it was sooo easy? Biggrin

Heh heh heh. It was definitely easy. The easiest part was finding the proper angle. It makes a loud sound when it cuts whiskers so it's easy to know if you're holding it right. Biggrin

If you think an injector is a noisy shave, then just wait till you experience the Bose surround sound hair cutting experience from one of the SEs from Gem or Ever Ready.

31 7,914
 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 08:04 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 07:59 PM)uncledave Wrote:

If you think an injector is a noisy shave, then just wait till you experience the Bose surround sound hair cutting experience from one of the SEs from Gem or Ever Ready.

Sounds like I'd have to turn off my hearing aids!!! Biggrin

0 396
 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
User Info
Congrats, Uncle Dave. Enjoy, but i still think you guys are crazy using those things. Those blades were very uncomfortable for me.
Good luck and enjoy your shaves.

75 20,884
 06-18-2012, 09:43 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 09:40 PM)celestino Wrote: Congrats, Uncle Dave. Enjoy, but i still think you guys are crazy using those things. Those blades were very uncomfortable for me.
Good luck and enjoy your shaves.

It was just the opposite for me. I was a little fearful because I thought I would probably cut myself pretty badly with it. Instead it gave me a nice smooth shave. I was surprised to be honest.

0 396
 06-19-2012, 03:33 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Excellent thread uncledave and happy that it's working for you!

This is timely as well for me, I just won my first two Injectors on the Bay. I've never even seen one in person prior.

Johnny, thanks for the diagram. I'm gonna need it. It's thankfully different from having to handle those Feather blades with the Cobra Classic.

6 905
 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
Uncle Dave - The Schick E2 injector is my go-to razor most every morning, very similar to your G1 injector, both of which are excellent shavers.

0 1,377
 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
You guys are definitely not helping to quiet down my RAD. It doesn't help that an injector is a whole different style of razor, thus making for a (small) justification for wanting one. Smile

10 1,858
 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(06-19-2012, 07:50 AM)Songwind Wrote: You guys are definitely not helping to quiet down my RAD. It doesn't help that an injector is a whole different style of razor, thus making for a (small) justification for wanting one. Smile
I'm in the queue right behind you - I think I'm very close to being persuaded, especially by Johnny et al. and their fab SOTD photos. I'm jealous.

1 290
 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I definitely think you guys who are considering getting one should go ahead and take the plunge. In my limited experience with one I would say it shaves BBS with less effort than with a DE. If you've never used one it looks scary! It shaves very very smoothly though. I think you'll love it.

0 396
 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM
  • diggity
  • Los Gatos, CA
User Info
Great to know, Dave. I bought one not too long ago and I am looking forward to using it!

18 281
 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing Dave. I hate loud razors, so I'm glad to know the G is noisly before wasting my money on one. Which leads me to ask, are all injectors noisy? I know not all SE's are loud, but some are just annoying.

Maybe the Stainless Pal or the Personna injectors wouldn't be very loud. Dunno, but loud razors are just like nails on a chalk board to me. LOL

9 451
 06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
User Info
(06-20-2012, 09:41 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Thanks for sharing Dave. I hate loud razors, so I'm glad to know the G is noisly before wasting my money on one. Which leads me to ask, are all injectors noisy? I know not all SE's are loud, but some are just annoying.

Maybe the Stainless Pal or the Personna injectors wouldn't be very loud. Dunno, but loud razors are just like nails on a chalk board to me. LOL

I can't recall my type L or type F being noisy, especially not as noisy as the GEM I used for my last shave.

40 5,830
 06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
The type F has pretty heavy build, which would reduce the vibration. I think I'll look for the heavier types. I really like the I1 & I2 , they look shorter and fatter in the handle than the others. It's a shame that the K3 has "Lady" stamped on it and a teal handle, it looks like a solid design, just not very manly. LOL

9 451