06-23-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
Is it just me or does St. James of London's sandalwood and bergamot smell just like Taylor of Old Bond Street's Jermyn Street. I bought a sample and ,having used Jermyn Street in my rotation for some time, upon opening and smelling had to take a double take at the label. Is the scent the same its so spot on its got me thinking that someone labeled this sample incorrectly. If Anyone else has tried the two please fill me in. Thanks!

79 824
 06-24-2015, 08:39 PM
User Info
I own both, actually own both the cream and soap of TOBS Jermyn Str. and the St. James.

There are scent similarities, but still they smell differently to my nose.
Both scents are aromatique fougeres, and both made by the same company, Creighton.

All TOBS creams are made by Creighton. Creighton is behind the St. James brand also.

24 5,966
 06-25-2015, 03:47 AM
User Info
FYI TOBS like D R Harris has not been made by Creightons for some time now.

They still make St.James, Trumpers & T&H.

Real Shaving Co. has been sold to another manufacturer. I assume the company (Swallowfeild) has the forumlas for the classic line, but I doubt the creams will remain unchanged.

1 162
 06-25-2015, 08:09 AM
User Info
(06-25-2015, 03:47 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: FYI TOBS like D R Harris has not been made by Creightons for some time now.

Out of interest, who does manufacture for TOBS and DR Harris? There are a large number of UK cosmetic contract manufacturers...

0 280
 06-25-2015, 08:14 AM
User Info
(06-25-2015, 08:09 AM)Sabre Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 03:47 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: FYI TOBS like D R Harris has not been made by Creightons for some time now.

Out of interest, who does manufacture for TOBS and DR Harris? There are a large number of UK cosmetic contract manufacturers...

Top secret I'm afraid. I think Creighton's min 800kg batch size was the reason for changing supplier.

1 162
 06-26-2015, 03:00 PM
User Info

They still make St.James, Trumpers & T&H.

Real Shaving Co. has been sold to another manufacturer. I assume the company (Swallowfeild) has the forumlas for the classic line, but I doubt the creams will remain unchanged.

Very interesting news !

Do you happen to know when TOBS switched to the other manufacturer ?

I can actually see a slight difference in texture and performance of my newer TOBS - the TOBS Grapfruit, the TOBS Coconut and the TOBS Peppermint creams. They are slightly more dense in texture, and performance for me is tiny bit better. My older TOBS creams still performs nicely though. But seems like TOBS perhaps made the move around the release of these 3 creams I mentioned above........ ?!?

I still think my pot of Jermyn Street from 2012 feels and looks like a Creighton made cream, but what do I know......... Rolleyes

Actually when I think about it, my pot of Jermyn ZStreet gave me a better performance than the other TOBS I owned prior to that, so perhaps TOBS made the move there  Huh

24 5,966
 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM
User Info
(06-25-2015, 08:14 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 08:09 AM)Sabre Wrote:

Top secret I'm afraid. I think Creighton's min 800kg batch size was the reason for changing supplier.

I guess it is is one of the following?  Confused

Allingham Beck
Broad Oak
Cosmetic Labs
Fleet Labs
Hants Cosmetics
Kew Health
Laleham
Nicholas James

0 280
 06-27-2015, 09:50 PM
User Info
For the time being, TOBS & DRH are using the same base [in same order too] as Creightons: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide.

0 488
 06-28-2015, 06:29 AM
User Info
(06-27-2015, 09:50 PM)ask4Edge Wrote:
For the time being, TOBS & DRH are using the same base [in same order too] as Creightons: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide.

Although this could mean they have similar bases having the same ingredients list doesn't really tell you that much. The ingredients are listed by weight so the % of each ingredient could be completely different. Plus they are likely to use different suppliers, grades of ingredients. I like using both, but I have always found DRH more concentrated.

1 162
 06-28-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
(06-26-2015, 03:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Very interesting news !

Do you happen to know when TOBS switched to the other manufacturer ?

I can actually see a slight difference in texture and performance of my newer TOBS - the TOBS Grapfruit, the TOBS Coconut and the TOBS Peppermint creams. They are slightly more dense in texture, and performance for me is tiny bit better. My older TOBS creams still performs nicely though. But seems like TOBS perhaps made the move around the release of these 3 creams I mentioned above........ ?!?

I still think my pot of Jermyn Street from 2012 feels and looks like a Creighton made cream, but what do I know......... Rolleyes

Actually when I think about it, my pot of Jermyn ZStreet gave me a better performance than the other TOBS I owned prior to that, so perhaps TOBS made the move there  Huh

The change happened a few years ago, so my guess would be when the parabens free formulas came out.

The two main reasons for different consistencies are the fragrance & curing time. Adding oil in a formula whether fragrance or essential can drastically change the consistency. When curing or cooling down if the lids are screwed on to early you end up with a thinner cream, too late & the cream is harder & more concentrated. Obviously how old the cream is makes a difference, some of my Coates tubs are firm but still ok others tubs, same scent, same batch are hard but I do not know how they were stored before I got them.

1 162