06-23-2015, 03:47 PM
User Info
I'm wanting to melt a pic to put it into a shaving stick tube for my travel kit. Does anyone know if this messes with the formulation in anyway? Does the heat kill the scent? Does the heat make certain ingredients seperate or anything? Any knowledge would be helpful, but if you're just hypothesizing please say that it's just a guess and you're not for sure. Thanks!

79 824
 06-23-2015, 03:55 PM
User Info
I've attempted melting soap for travel sizes and can say definitively that it changes the property of the soap. Not for the better either. It worked, but I wished that I had just bought some travel soap instead. Luckily I only ruined a $15 puck and not something awful expensive. It didn't really change the scent any, but it greatly diminished the performance

4 63
 06-23-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
It depends on the soap.  Some shave soaps are of the "melt and pour" variety, which is designed to be melted in a hot water bath with moderate heat.  Heat can cause the fragrance to dissipate, but if you're careful, it shouldn't be too bad.  You might also consider getting a soft soap (a.k.a., "croap").  Many are soft enough to scoop out of their containers.  They can be packed into another container without any heat at all, so you won't have to worry about heating the fragrance out.

You can certainly ask the manufacturer if his or her soap can either be melted or is soft enough to transfer into another container.

0 1,071
 06-23-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
You can't melt tallow. As far as I know, the only ones I know that you can melt are glycerin based melt & pour soaps.

Even those, you should do it in micro bursts so you don't cook it.

When in doubt, grate it.

8 2,718
 06-23-2015, 04:17 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Did you have a specific soap in mind? Some soaps can be melted others need to be grated & molded.

2 517
 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Easiest way out is to take a shave stick like Arko or Palmolive and put it in your shaving stick tube. There are others for more money that come in their own container, tabac springs to mind.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-23-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
(06-23-2015, 04:39 PM)BobH Wrote: Easiest way out is to take a shave stick like Arko or Palmolive and put it in your shaving stick tube. There are others for more money that come in their own container, tabac springs to mind.

Bob

This, or you can compress a soft soap into an empty-shave stick which works, very well. If you're desperate, just take a puck of soap with you and rub it on your face. Works, every time!  Thumbup

83 21,077
 06-23-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
Thanks for a the info guys. I'll stick to a soft soap!

79 824
 06-23-2015, 06:57 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
If you have a particular favorite tallow soap, that shouldn't be nuked, you can grate some and press it into the shave stick tube, or an old deodorant tube for that matter.  Simplest is usually best-est though, as already pointed out a sliver or chunk of any soap can be rubbed on your wet beard just like a shave stick ..

I've melted Mama Bear's into her containers, put ground Irisch Moos into another, and have a small stash of La Toya sticks, which are the most compact in a container.  I don't travel much anymore, my dopp has a half left Moos stick.

The advantage to soap, in whatever form, is when flying it doesn't have to fit into that quart baggie with all the other non-solid stuff .. not sure if TSA would want the croaps in the baggie at 3 oz?

44 473
 06-24-2015, 04:39 AM
User Info
(06-23-2015, 03:47 PM)Deuce428 Wrote: I'm wanting to melt a pic to put it into a shaving stick tube for my travel kit. Does anyone know if this messes with the formulation in anyway?  Does the heat kill the scent?  Does the heat make certain ingredients seperate or anything?  Any knowledge would be helpful, but if you're just hypothesizing please say that it's just a guess and you're not for sure. Thanks!

Which soap are you trying to do his with? If is soft enough or pliable you can just mash it into the tube. If it's a hard soap or triple milled like Tabac, MDC, MWF it can be grated like one of the other members mentioned. I was also thinking of doing this with some of my soaps since sme companies now carry empty shave stick tubes. 

You should be able to just grate them into a bowl then press them into the shave stick tube.

49 356