06-23-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
I have read a number of forum and Internet articles/posts where pure badger knots are considered to be the "bottom feeders" of badger brushes. However, I am a fan of these knots. I like the "floppyness" and soft nature of these brushes....especially with creams. They are the opposite of a boar like the Semogue 620, but deliver, for me, as much pleasure.

Also, I have a number of "high end" badgers such as a Romera Rustic Chubby and a Semogue 2013 LE. The pure is as enjoyable as the silver tip. Perhaps I should have saved my money. Undecided

Ed

22 764
 06-23-2015, 05:30 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
No thank you.

But to each his own.

Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse any typos.

14 871
 06-23-2015, 05:56 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have a Simpson Somerset-era Duke2 with a pure badger knot, which I quite like.  I would not describe the pure badger knot as either floppy or soft.  It has good backbone and the tips have a wee bit of prickle to them, but not unpleasantly so and definitely not a "bottom feeder".

7 936
 06-23-2015, 06:02 PM
User Info
Ed, you could always sell off your 'higher' end brushes and get some more of the Pure Badgers ones!  Smile

Personally, I stick with my 2-Band badgers.  Biggrin

83 21,115
 06-23-2015, 06:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I enjoy the variety in using different kinds of badger (and boar for that matter) hair brushes. I started with inexpensive pure badger brushes and was blissfully unaware of the difference between varieties of hair. I shaved quite happily every morning with my WD and Conk brushes. Then I got bit by the boar bug (big love for boar) for the better part of a year. Just recently started experimenting with two new Semogue silvertips. Call me crazy, but I'm sure there's even a difference in the hair used in both of those - SOC badger and 2013 LE. I'm loving this! Haven't gotten bored with any of them, and for sure I want to expand the variety of manufacturers in my den. I've become quite accustomed to the feel of a luxurious shave brush on my face every morning - for me, that's silvertip and broken in high grade boar.

But getting back to your original point, I still enjoy using my pure badger brushes. I find them appealing for their different face feel, but admittedly use them less frequently in the rotation of late. I'm pretty sure I'll only buy higher grade brushes moving forward. Otoh, I should probably also look into denser pure brushes. Interesting about the different feel of pure vs. silvertip. On some level (for me), it's a stretch to believe that pure and silvertip even come from the same animal. They feel that different. Think of them as different species, and it's easier to accept pure for it's own unique qualities. Or not.

7 2,378
 06-23-2015, 06:54 PM
User Info
I prefer them for creams over other knots. The Omega pure blacks are my personal favorites

3 742
 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM
User Info
I just bought a Simpson Tulip which is spoiling me (in a good way). Even if you ignore the face feel of the pure badger versus super badger the knot in the higher quality brush lathers in a superior way. The cheaper pure badger knot that I started out with can't compare. I also like my Semogue Owner's Club boor and for some soaps I prefer it. With that said, if you don't feel there is an appreciable difference you can save money on brushes for sure.

1 142
 06-23-2015, 10:24 PM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
There is basically no noticeable difference in performance between a grey and a silvertip badger. Depending on how the knot is bound, there is also no floppiness (try a Thäter grey badger, and you will see what I mean - they're a steal at something like $35). What you will not get is the luxury feel of a well made silvertip brush. Grey badger hair is scritchier (is that even a word?). But otherwise, grey badger can be a good deal. Easier to handle and better performing than boar in my opinion, but some people clearly think otherwise.

0 197
 06-24-2015, 04:47 AM
User Info
(06-23-2015, 05:22 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: I have read a number of forum and Internet articles/posts where pure badger knots are considered to be the "bottom feeders" of badger brushes. However, I am a fan of these knots. I like the "floppyness" and soft nature of these brushes....especially with creams. They are the opposite of a boar like the Semogue 620, but deliver, for me, as much pleasure.

Also, I have a number of "high end" badgers such as a Romera Rustic Chubby and a Semogue 2013 LE. The pure is as enjoyable as the silver tip. Perhaps I should have saved my money. Undecided

Ed

Pure badger will certainly whip you a good lather however face feel is definitely different compared to other grades. Pure badger knots are not as dense as higher grades of badger, also not as soft. This contributes to the face feel. Both will get the job done but higher end badgers give you a luxury feel as mentioned earlier. 
I haven't tried a pure badger that's floppy and soft, which pure badger are you using?
It's all a personal preference, if you enjoy pure badger more than high end badger brushes I say go ahead and sell them! unless you want to have a variety of options.

14 482
 06-24-2015, 06:05 AM
User Info
It depends on how they are done.
In a discussion of boar brushes (the boar article) it was said that there used to be no high end boar brush. All high end brushes used to be silver tip or now  2 band badger "silvertip".
If a pure badger brush is done right, and has the looseness and sponginess you like with creams, IMO  it can easily outperform a stuffed face-massage type 2 band. Different brushes!
Smile

BTW- see below. Usually  scritchy

21 1,175
 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
Kinda scratchy for my tastes, but I don't feel it unless I'm face lathering. For bowl lathering, it doesn't seem to matter.

0 1,098
 06-24-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
I've tried two Pure's. First one was dense and had a slight scritch. Not soft, but I can use it. Second was scritchy like running a cheese grater across my face.

I'll keep my silvertips, thank you Smile

42 1,197
 06-25-2015, 08:58 AM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I have 3 pure badger brushes, a VP Leonhardy, Simpson Case and Simpson Eagle G2.  The Leonhardy and Case offer a nice scrubby feel and excellent lathering performance.  The Eagle is likewise a great lathering brush, but can be crazy brutal in terms of scritch depending on the soap or cream used.  Been thinking about one of the Thaters as well.

4 194