06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
Before I set off on my little experiment with shaving monetary equilibrium, I purchased a bunch of off-beat DE razors. These are razors that are not particularly rare, but you rarely see them discussed on the forums. I'll be posting about each razor, as I have a chance to try it out.

First up is one of the stranger ones in the lot - a Gladweg De Luxe.

Gladweg was a Dutch razor maker, as far as I can tell, and they offered a bunch of different models. In fact, I have several different Gladweg models now. Smile

This one came in the usual mid-20th century bakelite box.

[Image: IMG_20120618_191236.jpg]

Inside the box is the razor and a box of Gladweg blades. There's a slot for used blades. I guess there may have been bakelite inserts at one point, but they're not there now.

[Image: IMG_20120618_191248.jpg]

The blades are the three-holed ones, like the original Gillette blades. I'm not planning on using any of them.

The razor has a substantial hexagonal handle with a checqued and scrolled surface, and the head looks pretty normal - like the Apollos and other razors of this time. It's a 3-piece razor.

[Image: IMG_20120618_191327.jpg]

However, the next picture shows what is different about this razor.

[Image: IMG_20120618_191345.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120618_191358.jpg]

Yep, that's a dual-personality safety-bar/open comb head, just like the ones iKon offers today.

The head is really well-made and heavy (not as heavy as the stainless steel razors available these days). It is quite impressive all-round.

I haven't yet used this razor (that will be done over the next few days), but my initial impression is that this will not be an aggressive shaver, as the comb and safety bar stick out quite a ways from the blade edge. However, that's balanced by a large blade-gap, so I'm curious about how this razor will shave.

[Image: IMG_20120618_191439.jpg]

Well, there you have it - the Gladweg De Luxe. Biggrin

37 1,731
 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
That is a beauty.

116 3,804
 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow! very nice Wink

thank you for sharing Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Glad we got to see the De Luxe! Thanks for sharing.

91 17,851
 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
User Info
Learned something new,about something old....thanks Johann!

7 414
 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
Very interesting! Thanks for showing it!

1 2,827
 06-18-2012, 05:11 PM
User Info
I like the way it looks. So this is where Greg of Ikon got his ideas.

21 1,477
 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
What a neat razor! You don't often read much about vintage DE razors that Gillettes. I'm excited for the next installment!

35 1,732
 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I love the odd-ball razors. As long as they take modern DE blades, I'm all for it.

135 1,947
 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
Very interesting.

Can't wait for the after action report.

32 6,309
 06-18-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
Yohann, great looking razor and can not wait to hear what you think!

75 20,883
 06-19-2012, 04:14 AM
User Info
First Shave Report -

First shave with this razor was this morning. I popped an Astra SS in there and gave it a go.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Cream: Coates Tea Tree
Razor: Gladweg De Luxe
Blade: Astra SS
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

----------

This is a slightly deceptive razor. The low blade exposure led me to believe that it would be on the mild side, though that was counteracted by the pretty large blade gap.

In use, it's on the aggressive side. Not exceptionally so, but more aggressive than I was expecting. The large blade gap certainly makes up for the low blade exposure. It may be slightly more aggressive than the Gillette NEW (but I'll leave that determination for after I've used it a few more times).

The handle is very comfortable and the head and handle are well-balanced, making this an easy razor to use. Also, the head design seems to automatically choose the right shaving angle for you, which I like. I had no issues at all with the WTG and XTG passes, but was taken by surprise on the ATG pass........when the large blade gap showed its bite.

I did get a couple of weepers, which is unusual for me - all on the ATG pass.

However, this first shave was really good. I had no issues getting a consistent, close shave and the application of the A/S showed that, apart from the weeper spots, the shave not harsh. Smile Importantly, the shave was fun.

So - first shave shows this to be a pretty nice razor. We'll see how it holds up in regular use, and only then will I give my final thoughts on it.

37 1,731
 06-19-2012, 04:59 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
A very interesting razor. Thank you for your review of the Gladweg De Luxe . I look forward to the other off beat and unusual razors you will be using in the future.

19 414
 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 06:13 PM)Shanman Wrote: I love the odd-ball razors. As long as they take modern DE blades, I'm all for it.

Same here, but I would love a Wade & Butcher with that thick hunk of steel of a blade.
Razors made in Germany or France are always unique and surprising, I love them. Thanks for sharing Yohann.

9 451
 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 04:14 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: First Shave Report -

First shave with this razor was this morning. I popped an Astra SS in there and gave it a go.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Cream: Coates Tea Tree
Razor: Gladweg De Luxe
Blade: Astra SS
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

----------

This is a slightly deceptive razor. The low blade exposure led me to believe that it would be on the mild side, though that was counteracted by the pretty large blade gap.

In use, it's on the aggressive side. Not exceptionally so, but more aggressive than I was expecting. The large blade gap certainly makes up for the low blade exposure. It may be slightly more aggressive than the Gillette NEW (but I'll leave that determination for after I've used it a few more times).

The handle is very comfortable and the head and handle are well-balanced, making this an easy razor to use. Also, the head design seems to automatically choose the right shaving angle for you, which I like. I had no issues at all with the WTG and XTG passes, but was taken by surprise on the ATG pass........when the large blade gap showed its bite.

I did get a couple of weepers, which is unusual for me - all on the ATG pass.

However, this first shave was really good. I had no issues getting a consistent, close shave and the application of the A/S showed that, apart from the weeper spots, the shave not harsh. Smile Importantly, the shave was fun.

So - first shave shows this to be a pretty nice razor. We'll see how it holds up in regular use, and only then will I give my final thoughts on it.
Could you tell a difference with different sides of the head?

21 1,477
 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 05:05 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Could you tell a difference with different sides of the head?

I thought I could, but it wasn't a huge difference. My impression was that the OC side was a little more aggressive than the other side, as you'd expect.

However, I'm also convinced that the blade gap is wider on the safety bar side than the OC side, so I think there may be some placebo effect going on here.

Let me use it for a bit longer and then I'll be able to adequately compare the two sides.

------------

On a side note, I was toying with some of the other razors I bought in this group, and I got a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. One of the 'plain' razors, was not so plain after all, .................but more on that later. Wink

37 1,731
 06-19-2012, 11:32 PM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
Makes wonder who really made this razor , has been branded a few times.

[Image: youhoo.jpg]

[Image: youhoo2.jpg]

7 243
 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
User Info
Greg -

On the basis of absolutely no evidence, I think this razor was made in Germany, and was probably rebranded a few times. It has that German look and feel about it.

-----

Well, a closer look at the razor today showed that I was wrong about the blade gap being greater on the safety-bar side - that was just an optical illusion. The blade gap on each side is the same (or close enough to not matter).

Secondly, theopen comb side is ccertainly more aggressive, but it's not hugely different from the safety bar side - it's similar to the difference between the two sides on my iKon OSS.

I still think this dual-headed style is a gimmick more than anything - I mostly use both sides of the head interchangeably. Still, I guess it's nice to have the different sides for when you really need a more or less aggressive setting.

I changed the blade to a Pemasharp today, and it was pretty brilliant - no nicks or roughness.

37 1,731
 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 06:19 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: On a side note, I was toying with some of the other razors I bought in this group, and I got a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. One of the 'plain' razors, was not so plain after all, .................but more on that later. Wink

How long are you gonna keep us hangin?!
Does it transform from OC to CC? Retractable blade? Swiss Army style folding toothpick? Come on now, out with it........

9 451
 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
Also posted this in the thread for Yohann's Gladweg push button.

I've been "razor-sitting" Yohann's Gladweg push button and Deluxe during his move and have now had a chance to put them through their paces.

I have used at least 200 different DE and SE razors and concluded after the first pass of the first try of the push button that it was the favorite of anything I've tried or owned. The handle grip and size are perfect, and the fact that the handle is hollow to accommodate the push button mechanism allows the the handle to be very substantial in size without making for an excessively heavy razor or a handle heavy balance. The head geometry tolerates a wide range of shaving angles while maintaining effectiveness and smoothness. The per-pass reduction is as good as the most aggressive razors I've tried, yet it shaves without causing discomfort or irritation and without feeling aggressive. There is really little to say except that it will be an extremely sad parting (but a a happy reunion for Yohann). I am now on a quest to find one for myself.

The Deluxe is also a fine razor, but perhaps suffered the consequences of direct comparison with the push button. I can't really see the point of the asymmetrical (one OC side and one solid bar side) head design. That said, the shave from the OC and solid bar sides are actually quite similar, further begging the question of "why bother?" The shave felt more aggressive to me than that of the push button - and I did end up with a few weepers on my neck - but was not as intuitive or effective as the push button.

0 419