06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
A little bit about me:

I've been in quality control for 20 years and seen a lot of neat things manufactured and this Merkur's Futur is one of them. I have been wet shaving since 2010, never knew anything about wet shaving until my uncle introduced me to it. I have seen my grandpa's old razor and it never occurred to me what it was.

Ok enough about me and lets get to the razor:

I had three choices on the finish, Gold, polished, or matte-finish. I decided on the matte finish because of a couple of complaints on the gold, and I already have some polished razors. It took me awhile to find the matte finish in stock.

Finish: The finish on the razor looks beautiful and will find out later on if the finish holds up.

Size: This razor is 4.3" tall with a handle diameter at .540". The head measures 2.020" total length, 1.040" wide, and .525" thick. The size of the razor didn't bother me and felt nice in my hand.

Weight: The weight of this razor is no joke at 4.3 ounces. It is definitely the heaviest razor I have in my den and I'll have to get use to it. The weight did not bother me.

Blade replacement: Not bad at all, you have to pop the top off to swap the blade.

Adjustability: Very easy to adjust the razor from 1-6. I had the razor set on number 3. Give you all the flexibility that you will need.

Comfort: My first shave I had no cuts, weepers, nicks, or razor burn using a red personna. Overall I got a BBS comfortable shave.

Grip: I had no troubles with the grip and then again I'm use to the Cobra Classic.

Maneuverability: Had no problems maneuvering this big guy. I have read some concerns about having difficulties under the nose and lip area, I had no issues in these areas.

Quality: The quality of this razor is excellent and looks good coming out the box. The razor appears to well built. There is no fit, form, or function problems.

Price: I paid $78.00 USD shipped, and was worth it.

Recommended: Yes

Conclusions:

This is one of Merkur's top notch razor being offered. The build quality is fantastic and it is a treat to look at. The shave is very smooth and gave me BBS even around the chin and upper lip area.

The razor does have some weight so be carful, it could bite you. With the head being a tad on the big side some might have troubles around the upper lip area.

0 197
 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I could never use it well around my upper lip, plus I cut myself twice loading the blade and trying to adjust it mid shave. Good luck with it!!

116 3,804
 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
If I ever found this guy at a *steal* , like $50 USD with shipping, in great shape and matte finish... I would have a great razor to share in the Monthly Haul Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The cheapest I have ever seen it new is $55. Of all the adjustables, I enjoyed the Progress the most.

116 3,804
 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 04:07 PM)gijames Wrote: If I ever found this guy at a *steal* , like $50 USD with shipping, in great shape and matte finish... I would have a great razor to share in the Monthly Haul Biggrin
Funny, you should say that. I bought my Futur on ebay along with a razor stand worth $30 for $60 including shipping. I don't know what that seller was thinking. It is a wonderful razor. Weber is my number one razor and the Futur is second in line.

(06-18-2012, 03:45 PM)Dave Wrote: I could never use it well around my upper lip, plus I cut myself twice loading the blade and trying to adjust it mid shave. Good luck with it!!
I've never had trouble shaving around the upper lip with mine or with loading the blade. You push up on the head cover lip and drop in the blade. I think it's safer than most when it comes to handling the blade to load or unload.

21 1,471
 06-18-2012, 05:31 PM
User Info
I am not a huge fan of Adjustables but I love the Futur. I love the weight and balance. Some complain of the size. I do not find it so because of how flat it holds the blade. I find it very easy to get under the nose with and trim sideburns. I never adjust it. I think it has been set between 2 and 3 since I have had it.

2 697
 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-18-2012, 04:07 PM)gijames Wrote: If I ever found this guy at a *steal* , like $50 USD with shipping, in great shape and matte finish... I would have a great razor to share in the Monthly Haul Biggrin

How does $55 sound? Teiste is selling his on the Selling forum here.

116 3,804
 06-18-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
Congrats on the Futur. They are very nice razors and i enjoyed using it, but once i found the open-combs, well...........

75 20,883
 06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Here's mine...

[attachment=3106]

I haven't used it in quite sometime, perhaps I should remedy this situation...

91 17,795
 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review for a wonderful razor. A little too big for me so I will stick to the Progress.

100 12,436