06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
Hi all, I am looking to purchase my first all stainless steel razor. Can anyone tell me about the ikon standard bar razor? Is it aggressive? It costs 135 dollars on some websites, 50 dollars less than most att stainless steel razors. The ikon standard bar razor I have looked at has a teflon coating and a DLC coating on the hand depending on what razor you buy. What is the difference between a DLC coating and a teflon coating and is one coating better than the other? For that know, would you rather have a stainless steel razor with a teflon coating or a DLC coating?

0 22
 06-25-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
(06-25-2015, 04:05 PM)nota33 Wrote: Hi all, I am looking to purchase my first all stainless steel razor. Can anyone tell me about the ikon standard bar razor? Is it aggressive? It costs 135 dollars on some websites, 50 dollars less than most att stainless steel razors. The ikon standard bar razor I have looked at has a teflon coating and a DLC coating on the hand depending on what razor you buy. What is the difference between a DLC coating and a teflon coating and is one coating better than the other? For that know, would you rather have a stainless steel razor with a teflon coating or a DLC coating?

I have one listed for sale right now on the BST thread..
It's a great razor, very smooth, Ikon states it's the most aggressive but I look at it as being very efficient.. It is the cerakote finish(DLC) with a custom Triad SS handle..

17 1,297
 06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
User Info
(06-25-2015, 04:08 PM)Nevada Red Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 04:05 PM)nota33 Wrote: Hi all, I am looking to purchase my first all stainless steel razor. Can anyone tell me about the ikon standard bar razor? Is it aggressive? It costs 135 dollars on some websites, 50 dollars less than most att stainless steel razors. The ikon standard bar razor I have looked at has a teflon coating and a DLC coating on the hand depending on what razor you buy. What is the difference between a DLC coating and a teflon coating and is one coating better than the other? For that know, would you rather have a stainless steel razor with a teflon coating or a DLC coating?

It's a great razor, very smooth, Ikon states it's the most aggressive but I look at it as being very efficient.. It is the cerakote finish(DLC) with a custom Triad SS handle..

I noticed that ikon sells the standard bar in a DLC coating, a teflon coating, and a cerakote coating. What is the difference between these coatings and is one necessarily better than the other?

0 22
 06-25-2015, 04:15 PM
User Info
(06-25-2015, 04:12 PM)nota33 Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 04:08 PM)Nevada Red Wrote:

I noticed that ikon sells the standard bar in a DLC coating, a teflon coating, and a cerakote coating. What is the difference between these coatings and is one necessarily better than the other?
I've had the original DLC and now the Cerakote and to be frank I can't tell the difference.. From what I understand the Cerakote is the toughest. IE less likely to scratch or mar.. Slickness is identical in my opinion.

17 1,297
 06-25-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
In my experience diamond like carbon has been tougher than cerakote, but cerakote is smoother. YMMV this has just been my experience.

3 1,356
 06-25-2015, 04:46 PM
User Info
If I  was in your shoes, I'd be looking at a Mongoose single-edge razor. Superior shave to any of the (many) high-end double-edge razors I 've tried.

52 1,175
 06-25-2015, 07:45 PM
User Info
I have a regular and DCL coated version, I can't tell the difference.  Mildly aggressive and I get great shaves from this razor.

24 227
 06-27-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
I have the DLC coated Standard Bar baseplate that I got in a 5 piece set. It's a little too aggressive for me. Im going to list it in the Buy and Sell forum, along with a DLC coated OSS baseplate once I get enough posts to do so.

0 48
 06-27-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
(06-27-2015, 09:44 AM)Cajunboy2k Wrote: I have the DLC coated Standard Bar baseplate that I got in a 5 piece set. It's a little too aggressive for me. Im going to list it in the Buy and Sell forum, along with a DLC coated OSS baseplate once I get enough posts to do so.

I see what you did there... Wink

3 1,356
 06-28-2015, 07:31 AM
User Info
(06-27-2015, 10:04 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(06-27-2015, 09:44 AM)Cajunboy2k Wrote: I have the DLC coated Standard Bar baseplate that I got in a 5 piece set. It's a little too aggressive for me. Im going to list it in the Buy and Sell forum, along with a DLC coated OSS baseplate once I get enough posts to do so.

I see what you did there... Wink

When life gives you lemons...... Thumbsup

0 48
 06-28-2015, 03:27 PM
User Info
I think the iKon standard bar razor is quite aggressive -- in a very good way. I like aggressive/efficient razors and this is one of the best IMO.

I'd call it a little milder than a 2013 Mühle R41, but only a bit. The blade alignment is superb, and the resulting shave is marvelous.

I believe their new ShaveCraft Tech is mighty efficient too (so I'm told) -- you might consider buying that razor, selling for $70 as I write this.

[Image: shavecraft.tech_.jpg]
Euro

5 395
 06-28-2015, 06:09 PM
User Info
(06-28-2015, 03:27 PM)opsimath Wrote: I think the iKon standard bar razor is quite aggressive -- in a very good way. I like aggressive/efficient razors and this is one of the best IMO.

I'd call it a little milder than a 2013 Mühle R41, but only a bit. The blade alignment is superb, and the resulting shave is marvelous.

I believe their new ShaveCraft Tech is mighty efficient too (so I'm told) -- you might consider buying that razor, selling for $70 as I write this.

[Image: shavecraft.tech_.jpg]
EuroI ordered a shavecraft tech. but cancelled it at the last minute. I had concerns about the aluminum head being soft. I ordered the ikon standard bar and that will be my first all stainless steel razor and possibly my last razor. I have heard good reviews about the ikon standard bar. Some even saying it's a better shaver than the att h1.

0 22