06-27-2015, 04:23 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

The Mongoose ignites a cluster of worn out phrases and adjectives in praising its status as a new stainless steel single edge safety razor. The Mongoose as a "game-changer" is especially tossed around like spitballs. What does "game-changer" exactly mean? That the razor will change the way men view safety razors? Or does it mean the Mongoose will change the way men shave?

Single edge shavers such as the Gem have reigned comfortably alongside the double edge safety razors for decades. Each has its place in traditional shaving. I doubt that will change anytime soon, if ever.

What I find in the Mongoose is an efficient, comfortable and safe shaver that is an alternative to the double edge safety razor. I love the razor. That's why in the photograph it has the privilege of sharing the space with my beloved lighter.

Will the Mongoose knock the Wolfman double edge razor off the mantle of remarkable shavers? Heavens no. In my opinion, it will take a Herculean force to top the Wolfman. Yet the Mongoose holds its own as an alternative shaver in my humble collection of stainless steel safety razors: now Wolfman, Mongoose, Above the Tie and Weber.

Since the blade in the single edge Mongoose does not have the same flex as the blade in the double edge razor, the shave is different. So is the feel of the razors on the face. I like one as much as the other.

Some shavers put the Mongoose in the same class as the Feather Artist Club. Absolutely not. Although the two razors use the same type of blade, they are from two different worlds: one a straight razor with replaceable blades and the other a single edge safety razor. No comparison, not even in the shave.

My Mongoose razor has the satin finish atop the Dr. Bombay handle. The razor is heavy, and big, but it is so well balanced that it tucks comfortably even in my small hands. Fit and finish are impeccable. The blade sits firmly in the shave head, and it is easy to replace.

I change blades with each shave in the double edge razor. The Mongoose gives me four comfortable shaves with the same blade.

The Mongoose is well worth the expense and the experience. For me, it is a keeper.

[Image: Eq9va4o.jpg][Image: 3BYTcJV.jpg]

154 3,133
 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM
User Info
I got the Mongoose too and cant wait to try it!

2 60
 06-27-2015, 04:34 PM
User Info
Very well said. To me it's not an end all razor but has solidified its place in my shave den. I too have the dr bomber and the big bomber handle and enjoy them both. But as u stated u have other razors and I too have a decent rotation I go thru. But I try to use the mongoose weekly if not every week and a half. I find it mild yet very effective. I look forward to the release of the open comb baseplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,253
 06-27-2015, 05:46 PM
User Info
Obie, great to hear you are enjoying the shaver.  Smile

83 21,115
 06-27-2015, 08:40 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Have had the same Mongoose configuration for many months now, great shaving tool but it still can't top the Feather Artist Club razors like you said. Awaiting my Wolfman, if you say it's good it must be Smile

28 1,449
 06-27-2015, 11:25 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Snuff,

Yes, I do really love shaving with the Mongoose. Once I know the razor better with more shaves, I know I will love it even more. As for the Wolfman, I think it is a glorious razor. I have the straight bar an the open comb and am awaiting for the duel head version.

154 3,133
 06-28-2015, 02:17 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Very well written post.  I have the Satin Mongoose as well with both the Dr Bomber and Big Bomber handles.  I do prefer to use it with my custom Hempel Ti handle though.  I would agree that it is not a "game changer", if such a thing even exists.  With blades other than the Feather Super Pro, I find the razor to shave very much a Gillette New OC, mild but efficient.  The Feather Super blade does make the razor more efficient for me.  With the Super blades, I get 14 daily shave per blade while getting 7-10 shaves from the Feather Pro or Kai Mild.  I find the Goose very intuitive to use and pretty much drama free.  I do use it differently than I would a DE razor to take full advantage of the blades.  My normal work morning shave with the Mongoose and Super Pro starts with an ATG pass followed by XTG.  With very little touch ups, I have a near BBS shave every time.  For me, the Mongoose shines as my go to work morning razor, super quick, efficient with no drama or concerns. 

I have my order in with James for a Wolfman OC that should be up sometime next month.  I look forward to having both in my collection.

7 1,283
 06-28-2015, 03:45 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Thanks for being so kind.

Clint, right you are about your assessment of the Mongoose. I think it is one of the most comfortable razors I have every used. It is also efficient. Love it.

154 3,133
 06-28-2015, 04:28 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Obie, I love it too.  I hope the OC base plate comes out soon.  I think that will make it even better for me.

7 1,283
 06-28-2015, 05:33 AM
User Info
Can I ask where did everyone buy there's from?

9 270
 06-28-2015, 06:54 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I really like the Mongoose that I bought right on swap and shop. It has great balance for me and has eliminated at least one pass from my shaving routine. I feel bad at times that my Feather DS2 is not getting the use it had gotten prior to the goose. However, now I have been attracted to the art of shaving with a straight razor. I find this the ultimate in the shaving evolution. For me its more the historic process. The way things were done in the pass and taking part in the process.

21 473
 06-28-2015, 07:39 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-28-2015, 05:33 AM)fgeib07 Wrote: Can I ask where did everyone buy there's from?

Mongoose has a Facebook page. Matt Glass is the person for ordering.

154 3,133
 06-28-2015, 11:40 AM
User Info
For those of us that can't shave with flimsy ribbons of steel, those who find vintage SE razor sizes to be too small or light, & those who aren't steady enough of hand to wield a straight or disposable blade straight the Mongoose is a game changer. 

I know, I know, that is a lot of qualifiers but for me it is true. I tried disposable blade straights & felt like I was being treated by an old blood letting doctor. DE blades flex against my stubble causing weepers & irritation galore. Vintage SEs always gave me my best overall shaves but due to their age they all have small handles and are generally pretty light. Even some SEs like a lather catcher were so light that while the blade didn't flex while shaving, the razor head did. 

So yes, the solid & sturdy Mongoose allows me to use a thicker & sharper SE blade without the risk of bleeding out (no one makes me bleed my own blood). I can even enjoy aftermarket & custom handles now. Again I will say that the Mongoose is a game changer for me as it took my enjoyment of my shaves to an entirely different level that I didn't think existed, even without the shave result itself being that much different from what I had pre-Mongoose. 

Anyone that can get a great shave with a DE or straight should not expect to be blown away by the Mongoose. It definitely can still compete for a majority of your face time simply for ease & quickness of use. However, you just don't have as much to gain as I did when the Mongoose arrived at my door about 10 months ago.

31 8,058
 06-28-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
My sentiments exactly!  I've gotten great shaves from many different razors, but none have so consistently given me a comfortable BBS shave as my Mongoose.

(06-28-2015, 03:45 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

Thanks for being so kind.

Clint, right you are about your assessment of the Mongoose. I think it is one of the most comfortable razors I have every used. It is also efficient. Love it.

54 1,214
 07-01-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
I absolutely love my Goose. It does deliver a fine shave. One pass WTG for a bbs.

Kirk

0 108
 07-01-2015, 08:16 AM
User Info
The Mongoose is the only razor that my whiskers promote!  The rigid blade has given me just wonderful shaves.  A DE gave me weepers and throat irritation.  Rigid blade was what I needed and I thank Team Mongoose for their innovation!  Highly recommended for those who can't get good shaves from a DE due to flex.

5 160
 07-01-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
I bought the Mongoose from BST and very satisfied with it. 
It provided smooth and efficient shaves. 
I've never tried a slant razor though. 
It seems Razorock Eagle SE razor is under development.
Got to try it when it's available.

2 122
 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
I had the good fortune to try this on a recent tour (thanks to Michael aka poonjaji).
I was certainly glad I tried it -- but concluded that I did not need to acquire it.

8 951
 07-01-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
I got one from a nice member here, and have no regrets.  The razor works and shaves like a champ.

61 3,796
 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
Couldn't agree more - inherent advantage to these thicker single-edge blades that consistently gives me the most comfortable BBS shave of any razor I've tried.  

Curious who next is going to build a razor around these blades, as I don't see myself buying anymore double-edge razors....

(07-01-2015, 08:16 AM)Kyle 3 Pass Wrote: The Mongoose is the only razor that my whiskers promote!  The rigid blade has given me just wonderful shaves.  A DE gave me weepers and throat irritation.  Rigid blade was what I needed and I thank Team Mongoose for their innovation!  Highly recommended for those who can't get good shaves from a DE due to flex.

54 1,214