06-29-2015, 07:26 AM
User Info
I have owned several aggressive razors including the Fatip, Muhle R41 2013, Cobra Classic and the Joris. These are all great razors and I got great shaves from them all.
I used my Merkur 41c last night and got a very close shave just as close as any other razor I have used. In fact it was smoother going against the grain than my other more aggressive razors. This razor works fine for me. I see no problem with the 41c head.
If anyone can't get a close shave with this razor then they need to look at their technique. The Merkur open comb razors may be mild but still very effective.
[Image: iUbbEme.jpg]

5 1,517
 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM
User Info
Great to hear you are enjoying the shaver. As they say in this hobby of our, YMMV. One thing to consider is that some folks may have a very coarse beard and they might require too many passes with this razor since it is so mild. They might just have to perform too many passes with it to get a close shave. I used to have it and this was my experience with it and I do believe my technique is adequate if not very good as I can get a much closer shave with some other razors.

82 21,056
 06-29-2015, 07:47 AM
User Info
I will admit that I do not have a heavy beard.

5 1,517
 06-29-2015, 08:08 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
That is the beauty of all these great tools that we have... there is something for everybody! I find that I can in fact get a good shave from milder razors but gravitate to those of moderate to aggressive nature.

Having said that, I don't have a Merkur OC but do use others a lot. Of the regulars I own, the least aggressive is a Maggard OC and one that if you have a light beard and enjoy a milder OC would be worth looking at. Super bargain when combined with their house stainless handle [I have an MR1 stainless handle].

The OC has a brass baseplate and with the handle will set you back around $25. Good, mild OC shaver IMHO.

2 1,180
 06-29-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 07:47 AM)shave/brush Wrote: I will admit that I do not have a heavy beard.

For those folks who have a lighter beard type, this is a very lovely shaver. Enjoy the razor! Smile

82 21,056
 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM
User Info
Good deal, enjoy it.

61 3,796
 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM
User Info
This would be the only DE Id still use if it wasn't made from pot metal. I normally despise DEs but this one is extremely comfortable and I get no tugging. I really don't care for that particular slippery handle though...

18 713
 07-01-2015, 12:07 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I started wet shaving with the closed comb version.  The handle was a little slippery, so I bought a bulldog handle.  It was a different razor once I upgraded to the bulldog handle.  It was more efficient due to the extra weight and I had more confidence because of the extra grip.

3 535
 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM
User Info
A handle change on one of popular razors makes a huge difference. 
Really, what is the difference between a Weber razor and a Merkur head with a bulldog handle. Mechanically it should be  close

On that open comb head: I like some of the vintage similar versions. Also, I think this kind of head grips the blade strongly- another plus... Smile

21 1,175
 07-01-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
(07-01-2015, 12:28 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: A handle change on one of popular razors makes a huge difference. 
Really, what is the difference between a Weber razor and a Merkur head with a bulldog handle. Mechanically it should be  close

On that open comb head: I like some of the vintage similar versions. Also, I think this kind of head grips the blade strongly- another plus... Smile

What Merkur head are you talking about? The open comb or the solid bar? The open comb Merkur is a very mild razor but as this thread is about, it shaves very nicely. The Weber head would be more aggressive.

5 1,517
 07-02-2015, 01:37 AM
User Info
(07-01-2015, 02:48 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 12:28 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: A handle change on one of popular razors makes a huge difference. 

What Merkur head are you talking about? The open comb or the solid bar? The open comb Merkur is a very mild razor but as this thread is about, it shaves very nicely. The Weber head would be more aggressive.

the closed comb, then the open comb.

21 1,175