06-29-2015, 10:33 AM
User Info
I currently use an Ikon DLC open comb razor, and I love it. I get great shaves. I've been seeing the Fat Boy razors, and I am curious about them. The prices are all over the map on eBay. There are so many models. I'd like to know which model is the best or more desirable. Is there anything that spells out the differences between the years and models?

Thanks

0 48
 06-29-2015, 10:38 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.........i cannot help as to model or which is the most desirable (perhaps the holy grail of fat boys - the bottom dial)..........
.........but i would suggest not to buy an ebay Fatboy..........
...........they come up here once in awhile and you could post in the WTB thread.........

45 1,066
 06-29-2015, 10:44 AM
User Info
The best? That's probably subjective, the most desirable would probably be the red dot fatboy or the bottom dial fatboy. Regarding the model, on the razor head there should be a letter an a number - the letter indicates the year of the razor and the number represents which quarter of the year the razor was produced for example 1 would be first quarter, 2 would be second quarter and so on. I can't quite remember which letter corresponds to what year off the top of my head though, I'm sure someone can fill in the blanks.

7 786
 06-29-2015, 10:45 AM
User Info
There really aren't a bunch of different Fatboy "models."  There was a bottom dial, which was really a prototype or a very short production run.  It costs a fortune because it is so scarce.  As I recall, there are some functional differences between this one and the production model, but probably nothing that would add up to much of a difference in the actual shave quality or experience. 

Next there is the "red dot" Fatboy, which, again, is similar to the bottom dial in that it was a short run and is much less commonly available.

All the other Fatboys are functionally the same. 

If you are going to buy one off e-bay, you'd be best served to find one that is improperly listed (searching, for example, "vintage Gillette razor" instead of "Fatboy" or "Gillette adjustable razor").  They sometimes also come up in a lot and can be overlooked.  Otherwise, I agree with the earlier poster that waiting for one to come up here or posting a "want to buy" in a forum like this one is likely your best bet for a decent razor at a fair price.

2 1,451
 06-29-2015, 10:46 AM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 10:44 AM)AndyC Wrote: The best? That's probably subjective, the most desirable would probably be the red dot fatboy or the bottom dial fatboy. Regarding the model, on the razor head there should be a letter an a number - the letter indicates the year of the razor and the number represents which quarter of the year the razor was produced for example 1 would be first quarter, 2 would be second quarter and so on. I can't quite remember the letter to the corresponding year off the top of my head though.

D is 1958, E is 1959, and so forth.  Most Fatboys, IIRC, are from 1958, 1959, or 1960, because they were replaced by the Slim early in the 1960s.  So I would think D, E, and F would be the most common date code letters.

2 1,451
 06-29-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
I cannot add to the good points posted so far.  However, I will caution you if making a purchase on Ebay.  Insure you have an EXACT description of the razor you wish to purchase, if it can be returned, etc.  I am not going to throw all Ebay sellers under the bus but let the buyer beware.

Understand what you are getting. Thumbsup

Ed

22 752
 06-29-2015, 02:41 PM
User Info
Thank y'all for all the helpful info. I'm not really in the market to buy yet, I like to research all that I can, and this was the first step. It gives me a place to start.

0 48
 06-29-2015, 05:42 PM
User Info
There are also 1961 models, date coded G. Sometime in late 1960 or early 61 they changed TTO mechanism slightly. This made it a bit more reliable, and similar to the Slim models that followed.

To me, this makes the later Fat Boys a little more desirable. Frankly, I believe the Slim models shave better, and they are far more reliable in function of the 150 or so that i have handled or repaired or restored. That said, I personally favor the look of the Fat Boys.

I also like the gold plated version, the Executive, which I have. The Toggle version is also similar in external appearance, but much different in the opening and adjustment mechanism.

Be patient and one could show reasonably on eBay, but you may have a better confidence in posting a want to buy ad in buying and selling. You won't get a steal, but you can expect a fair price. The peer pressure here is stronger than the review system on eBay from my view. That said, patience will yield a nice one.

26 246
 06-29-2015, 05:52 PM
User Info
If you are looking for the most desirable to scoop and flip, good luck. They are hard to find in the wild now and most sellers check eBay and price accordingly. All the standard FB's shave the same, so if you are just looking for a good shaving razor, any will do. The Slim's are cheaper, easier to find, built just as well and shave just as good.

The only difference I notice in mine are some can be broken down using the screw in the base of the handle.

That said, I've never paid more then $15 (maybe $25 for the cased one) for mine locally I've been lucky.

Proof that they can be had if you search, ask around and get lucky.

[Image: fecd824fc9b3f4847ca0d5b09bd6f573.jpg]

8 2,718
 06-29-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
Why not just post a WTB ad, here, for one to see if you get on with it and save yourself some money rather than going through Ebay?
Good luck.

82 21,077
 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM
User Info
As others have already said, the slims are the most reasonable priced of the Gillette adjustable and some users think they are the best. I have three, two of which have been replated so they are quite nice, I prefer the Fatboy for my shaving, and buy the 1959 models in poor condition, I then take them apart, clean them, then have them replated. Kind of a fun hobby.

9 75
 07-07-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
I really like all my Fatboys, particularly with the heavier head than the Slims but another option would be Super Adjustables made from 1968-1988 but I'm not real fond of the later years with the black plastic bottom to the head.  They come in two handle lengths with the heads being the same design.  To me, the shave is similar to the Fatboy but the good part is they are usually cheaper.

3 74
 07-08-2015, 06:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(07-07-2015, 03:08 PM)mikemullin6 Wrote: I really like all my Fatboys, particularly with the heavier head than the Slims but another option would be Super Adjustables made from 1968-1988 but I'm not real fond of the later years with the black plastic bottom to the head.  They come in two handle lengths with the heads being the same design.  To me, the shave is similar to the Fatboy but the good part is they are usually cheaper.

I agree with Mike about the quality of the Super Adjustables (caveat; ive never owned or used a FB or Slim). I've had two short handle Super Adjustables. Both had the all metal head. I sold the first one and decided that was a mistake so i quickly bought another (sidebar, I'm anxiously waiting for my Super adjustable to be returned from being revamped; hoping to see it in a week or so)! From my experience the Super Adjustables are about half the price of the FB, and certainly less than the Slim.

7 2,125
 07-09-2015, 07:15 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
Kingfisher wrote: 
"D is 1958, E is 1959, and so forth.  Most Fatboys, IIRC, are from 1958, 1959, or 1960, because they were replaced by the Slim early in the 1960s.  So I would think D, E, and F would be the most common date code letters."

I think there were fewer Ds than Es or Fs; D1 was the limited release and hard-to-find Red Dot (looked and operated differently from Fatboys), there was no D2, D3 was a mixed release of the first nickel 195s and the gold-tone Executives, and, I think,  D4 was the first nation-wide release of the Fatboy (nickel 195).  The other thing about Ds and most Es is the unscrewable bottom cap for ease of maintenance.  I prefer Ds, myself!  Good luck with the hunt!

Tom

16 91
 07-09-2015, 07:22 AM
User Info
Other than its Industrial Iconic design I would suggest that the "Fat Boy" is simply just another fine offering from King Gillette. Nothing spectacular about them as to their shave. I gave my Dad one years ago when i was buying practically every DE I could find in the wild. he used it for a short time but now it just sits in his bathroom. I will have to snag it for a shave and report back if after going on 8 plus years in this hobby if my experience is any different.

19 775
 07-11-2015, 11:34 PM
User Info
http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes - Gillette date codes are here. Try avoiding Ebay for multiple reasons, unless you really know what you are looking for. Some good quality Fatboys come over here, at Shavenook. In addition, there is another shaving forum, reddit.com/r/shave_bazaar, in which Fatboys pop up from time to time. Personally, I like Fatboys and I am using my Fatboy continually.

29 275
 04-04-2016, 07:54 AM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 05:52 PM)Bruce Wrote: If you are looking for the most desirable to scoop and flip, good luck.  They are hard to find in the wild now and most sellers check eBay and price accordingly.  All the standard FB's shave the same, so if you are just looking for a good shaving razor, any will do.  The Slim's are cheaper, easier to find, built just as well and shave just as good.

The only difference I notice in mine are some can be broken down using the screw in the base of the handle.

That said, I've never paid more then $15 (maybe $25 for the cased one) for mine locally I've been lucky.

Proof that they can be had if you search, ask around and get lucky.

[Image: fecd824fc9b3f4847ca0d5b09bd6f573.jpg]
Very Nice score.

0 79