06-29-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
I'm narrowing down to what I wish to have in my den. My favorite razor is my 48-50 post war Aristocrat. Quality of shave and feel to me is exactly what I want in a razor. I do love my 3 piece razors and want one that has around the same feel in comfort & aggressiveness.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a nice 3 piece that matches the shave quality of my Aristocrat? I do plan to make the purchase my last in DE's so want to make sure it's the right one!

Thanks in advance for any help given!

148 3,592
 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
Freddy,

I have never shaved with an Aristcrat but have used a Fatboy. The Fatboy with a GSB blade is close and comfortable for me. 

But as close as the Fatboy is my Above the Tie with an R1 plate is about as smooth and efficient as it gets. It barely feels like I have a blade on my face with the R1. The craftsmanship is also out of this world; it feels and looks like an heirloom.

All that being said, I am also on the watlist for a Wolfman. If I had to I could use the R1 for the rest of my life but I really want to see how the Wolfman compares. If you are interested in one, get on the watlist before July 1st. If you need info on how to do that PM me.

80 947
 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have never shaved with an Aristocrat, or any vintage razor, but I really like my Above the Tie M2.  I have sensitive skin, and for me, it's a nice balance of mildness and efficiency.  If you like a more aggressive razor, the R1 or R2 would probably be a better option.  I agree with the post above that you might want to think about a Wolfman.  I'm on the waiting list as well and I don't think I've read a negative review yet.

3 584
 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
Freddie, your question might be near impossible to answer, my friend! The all-to-true acronym, YMMV, applies here, very well. There is no way anyone will be able to tell you the exact 3-piece DE razor that will work for you, unfortunately. 
There definitely are some wonderful stainless steel versions, but others as well. 
Best of luck to you in trying to narrow it down to one.  Smile

83 21,109
 06-29-2015, 07:44 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Freddie have you thought about a Single Edge Smile 
[Image: wGSniw6.jpg]

118 1,708
 06-30-2015, 02:38 AM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 06:30 PM)lestorfreemon Wrote: Freddy,

I have never shaved with an Aristcrat but have used a Fatboy. The Fatboy with a GSB blade is close and comfortable for me. 

But as close as the Fatboy is my Above the Tie with an R1 plate is about as smooth and efficient as it gets. It barely feels like I have a blade on my face with the R1. The craftsmanship is also out of this world; it feels and looks like an heirloom.

All that being said, I am also on the watlist for a Wolfman. If I had to I could use the R1 for the rest of my life but I really want to see how the Wolfman compares. If you are interested in one, get on the watlist before July 1st. If you need info on how to do that PM me.

I have used/owned both the slim and Fatboy adjustable. As nice a shave as they are I just like my 3 pieces. I only have 2 TTO's in my den. One being the Aristocrat and the other my black Tip SS birth razor. All the rest are 2 &  3 piece and SE's. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks! 

(06-29-2015, 07:12 PM)DayMan Wrote: I have never shaved with an Aristocrat, or any vintage razor, but I really like my Above the Tie M2.  I have sensitive skin, and for me, it's a nice balance of mildness and efficiency.  If you like a more aggressive razor, the R1 or R2 would probably be a better option.  I agree with the post above that you might want to think about a Wolfman.  I'm on the waiting list as well and I don't think I've read a negative review yet.

Thanks for the heads up. I have seen a lot of comments on both the ATT and Wolfman razors and figured that is where this would wind up leading to lol. 

(06-29-2015, 07:15 PM)celestino Wrote: Freddie, your question might be near impossible to answer, my friend! The all-to-true acronym, YMMV, applies here, very well. There is no way anyone will be able to tell you the exact 3-piece DE razor that will work for you, unfortunately. 
There definitely are some wonderful stainless steel versions, but others as well. 
Best of luck to you in trying to narrow it down to one.  Smile

Yeah I knew this would be a loaded question when I asked it. I guess I was hoping someone may have used an Aristocrat like mine and have some insight on a comparable 3 piece. I posted this as well at the same time on another forum and have had a number of mentions on the Gillette NEW's. I have owned several and just don't think they compare. As much as it's a pain to hear it yet a true YMMV lol. 
(06-29-2015, 07:44 PM)Triad Wrote: Freddie have you thought about a Single Edge Smile 
[Image: wGSniw6.jpg]

You make a handle for it Toby and its on! Wink

I actually have much love for SE's owning several injectors, GEM's, and my Ralf Aust.

148 3,592
 06-30-2015, 04:53 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Smile
I just got an ATT set for my birthday last week and it is indeed a finely crafted piece of HW. Feels great in the hand and it also is extremely efficient (I have been using the R2 baseplate). It is a great shaver and one that I am very happy to have in the house. I cannot speak to how it compares to an Aristocrat as I have not used one, but on its own it is fantastic.

Not much help but .02.

2 1,180
 06-30-2015, 06:54 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I have a 46-47 Aristocrat (it has end caps, no notch in the center bar) and really enjoy it as well.
My 3-piece razors include:
Single Ring (1909, thin top cap)
Old Type (no date code, ball end, thick top cap)
NEW Long
NEW Short
Tech (no date code, triangle slots)
Tech (1970's English with Aluminum handle)

In my collection I think the Tech with triangle slots comes the closest and is probably my favorite 3-piece, but I tend to prefer medium-mild razors. I would still take the Aristocrat vs the Tech. I agree that NEW's while nice are different when comparing to an Aristocrat. All of my razors are vintage so I can't comment on the modern stainless offerings.
Good luck in your quest Freddie.

2 517
 06-30-2015, 09:10 AM
User Info
Well I took the plunge and requested to be on the Wolfman wait list. Hopefully the WR1-SB will be the one for me!

148 3,592