• Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
[Image: Rm1Q2jE.jpg]

[Image: d0sKvAV.jpg]

[Image: VSdv4BL.jpg]

[Image: arowg7M.jpg]

Nicely packaged; simple and informative labels.
Scents are clean, natural, and vibrant without being overpowering.
Consistency is hard; grates easily.

I'm eager to see how they perform ..

102 18,548
 06-29-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
Look forward to the review.. I'm assuming the ingredient list is pretty natural?

Looks very nice my friend.

17 1,297
 06-29-2015, 08:07 PM
User Info
Nice soaps. Only the stick has ass milk. The performance reminds me a lot of Osma, which is a top performer for me

3 742
 06-29-2015, 08:11 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 06-29-2015, 08:11 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Looks good Ravi, will check back for your thoughts post shave.

59 4,379
 06-29-2015, 08:43 PM
User Info
Ravi, you could have just rub that soap on your face as it was instead of grating it as it looked to be in a perfect shaving stick form!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 06-29-2015, 10:05 PM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 08:43 PM)celestino Wrote: Ravi, you could have just rub that soap on your face as it was instead of grating it as it looked to be in a perfect shaving stick form!  Biggrin

He was making tacos.... Biggrin 2/2

3 1,356
 06-30-2015, 02:42 AM
User Info
I got 3 "Bergers" delivered yesterday, will use stick today.
Anyone have ideas as to storage without grating?

36 886
 06-30-2015, 02:52 AM
User Info
(06-30-2015, 02:42 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I got 3 "Bergers" delivered yesterday, will use stick today.
Anyone have ideas as to storage without grating?

I was thinking that small wooden bowl from bullgoose would work nicely for this soap.

9 270
 06-30-2015, 03:32 AM
User Info
OK Berger stick gets an absolute A+ and I told my wife this could be the last soap I ever buy. Lather beyond belief. 4 passes and the bowl and brush still had perfect lather. Glide and protection super. I didn't think I needed aftershave. I wonder how the other 2 Bergers will do. I might not get to them at this rate.

36 886
 06-30-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
Here my impressions of the soap. 
I got the Mente Petitgrain and the Mandarin Cedre, both perform great for me. The soaps came in 100lm tubs, packed to the top. The  Mente Petitgrain one is a solid puck and can be taken out of the tub.The Mandarin Cedre was more densely  packed so I had to scoop it out and transfer to a bigger sized tub. The soap is very easy to lather with great post shave feel. I have not tried LPL and La Savonniere de Moulin, to compare but this soap is at least as good as MDC IMHO. I think this soap is definitely worth to try.

11 435
 06-30-2015, 05:19 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Which scent do most of you prefer?  And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all those "palm" ingredients a no-no or am I thinking of something else?

159 1,315
 06-30-2015, 05:20 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Preliminary thoughts after one shave with SdB/SdV Mandarine Cedre:
- scent is lovely (clean and natural)
- soap lathers effortlessly, and provides decent cushion and very good glide
- post-shave skin feel is calm and supple
This is an excellent soap so far .. time will tell.

102 18,548
 06-30-2015, 05:53 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
..........so many great soaps.........Savonnerie du bon berger, Santa Maria Del Fiore, Saponifici Varesino, La Savonnière du Moulin, Santa Maria La Novella, Martin de Candre, Cella, Le Pere Lucien, and the dozens of great US based soap artisians..............
....................how is a boy to choose?

43 1,063
 06-30-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
(06-30-2015, 05:53 AM)leonidas Wrote: ..........so many great soaps.........Savonnerie du bon berger, Santa Maria Del Fiore, Saponifici Varesino, La Savonnière du Moulin, Santa Maria La Novella, Martin de Candre, Cella, Le Pere Lucien, and the dozens of great US based soap artisians..............  
....................how is a boy to choose?

Harry, there is no need to choose. Just buy them all, my friend and see which ones work out well for you, or you could just settle on one and use it for a few months and then try the others in the same fashion to see which one works/smells best for you!   Biggrin

82 21,056
 06-30-2015, 06:22 AM
User Info
leonidas - like in the movie Trading Places when asked what to have for dinner, lobster or cracked crab, why not have both. This is such a great dilemma.

36 886
 06-30-2015, 06:51 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...... how i wish i could purchase them all..............
.................but can't convince the better half that spending all this money on soap is a good thing...............
.........especially when i am lucky that my wife is not a spender...........

43 1,063
 06-30-2015, 07:05 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Steelman, The listings for PALMATE this or that are all derived from palm oil. The product itself is fine- all derived from a palm native to West Africa and used in a myriad of applications and uses. The 'no-no' and I am a guilty consumer myself; is the environmental and social impact. Indonesia is by far the world's largest producer @ 30% followed by a long list of countries. But to grow huge, monoculture tracts of palm trees means the native rain forest is destroyed along with Orangutangs, native peoples et al.  The other issue is one of human rights. Many growers; ie Ecuador simply pushed indigenous people off at gunpoint or forced them into virtual slavery. The most onerous grower just died @ 91 years. He was so powerful the elected president was shoved into his personal plane and flown out of the country. There is a program of certified palm oil grown responsibly, but is pretty much 'greenwashing' PR.
I hope the mods will read this as education and not standing on my soap box ( perish the thought) of Mitchells Woolfat ( my animal rights friends get upset over it).
Don't go throwing out your palmate soaps and start growing a beard. Everything we consume has impacts from diamonds to almonds.
You can consciously choose white sapphires or native pine nuts- or my new fav SAPONIFICIO VARESINO which uses alternative oils.

2 3,171
 06-30-2015, 07:15 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(06-30-2015, 07:05 AM)kav Wrote: Steelman, The listings for PALMATE this or that are all derived from palm oil. The product itself is fine- all derived from a palm native to West Africa and used in a myriad of applications and uses. The 'no-no' and I am a guilty consumer myself; is the environmental and social impact. Indonesia is by far the world's largest producer @ 30% followed by a long list of countries. But to grow huge, monoculture tracts of palm trees means the native rain forest is destroyed along with Orangutangs, native peoples et al.  The other issue is one of human rights. Many growers; ie Ecuador simply pushed indigenous people off at gunpoint or forced them into virtual slavery. The most onerous grower just died @ 91 years. He was so powerful the elected president was shoved into his personal plane and flown out of the country. There is a program of certified palm oil grown responsibly, but is pretty much 'greenwashing' PR.
I hope the mods will read this as education and not standing on my soap box ( perish the thought) of Mitchells Woolfat ( my animal rights friends get upset over it).
Don't go throwing out your palmate soaps and start growing a beard. Everything we consume has impacts from diamonds to almonds.
You can consciously choose white sapphires or native pine nuts- or my new fav SAPONIFICIO VARESINO which uses alternative oils.

The key here is to consume responsibly and enjoy.

In a broad sense, nothing we do is without some sort of impact.

102 18,548
 06-30-2015, 07:22 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
Well, as my friends say, "Robin is always right."
I told you you'd like this soap. Better performance than Martin de Candre - at half the price or less. Scents are a bit rustic, but at least they are natural, and clean. Enjoy, gentlemen.

0 197