06-30-2015, 07:23 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen.  The One-of-a-Kind Beehive I offered a couple weeks ago generated so much interest that I decided to put a modified version of that design into our regular lineup.  I call these two brushes prototypes for two reasons: (1) because the design is almost where I want it (see the brush on the right) and (2) because I'm experimenting with a slightly different Tung Oil finish that contains a higher percentage of oil and employing a finishing technique that forces oil throughout the wood.  It takes longer for the oil to cure ("polymerize"); so I want to be sure it holds up before offering generally.  For those reasons, I used two different brands of knots--ones that are different from my usual hand-tied varieties. 

That said:  both are turned from Screwbean Mesquite.  The one on the left is an earlier version with a 22mm finest at 52mm loft, while the other I turned later, incorporates some design modifications to improve balance and feel in the hand.  That one has a 29mm finest at 56mm loft.  Enjoy!

[Image: UfsE9yy.jpg]

4 647
 06-30-2015, 07:39 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Excuse me while I say: WOW.

To be honest, I don't gravitate to wood handled brushes usually. These are incredible works and I absolutely love what you have done here. Congrats, I think a very welcome addition to your line card and I feel you really have a homerun on your hands with these elegant brushes. Great job and thank you for sharing!

2 1,180
 06-30-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
a very stunning handle.  I love exotic woods and this choice pops.  very nice. the shape of the one on the right looks very user friendly and a bit larger for arthritic hands possibly.  the finish and the oil must be a win.

76 1,331
 06-30-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
Beautiful work on those handles! Those are lovely!

148 3,601
 06-30-2015, 09:37 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Lovely handles Brad.

0 403
 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
User Info
Wonderful brushes, Brad. I really like the larger one.

19 101
 07-01-2015, 01:45 AM
User Info
I have a S7  brush Brad made for me in all Ivory with one of his silvertip knots, awesome brush and extremely comfortable. I highly recommend Brad and his work. His delivery time for a completed brush from was unbelievably quick. He's truly a gifted craftsman and a pleasure to deal with.

0 22
 07-01-2015, 03:28 AM
User Info
Amazing work!

2 64
 07-01-2015, 04:26 AM
User Info
Beautiful work Brad!

7 787
 07-01-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
Nice!

36 911
 07-01-2015, 06:37 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very nice, Brad. I do prefer the larger brush.

38 5,199
 07-09-2015, 06:54 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Hey Brad how is the progress going?  Do you have more design changes to make or are you satisfied with this version?  How is the new finish holding up?

0 250
 07-09-2015, 07:14 AM
User Info
Very sharp!

0 54
 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 06:54 AM)Asafiev Wrote: Hey Brad how is the progress going?  Do you have more design changes to make or are you satisfied with this version?  How is the new finish holding up?

For several reasons, this brush has presented more challenges than usual.  But progress is being made.

I think the basic form of the larger brush is about right.  The handle is about 5mm too large for my hands (and I have relatively large ones--size 11 glove) and at 162 grams, it's (I think) too heavy for face lathering.  I sent it out to one of our fellow TSN members yesterday for his evaluation.  (He has extremely large hands; so it could work for him.) 

Early this week, I made two slightly smaller ones that also accommodate a 29-30mm knot.  These weigh ~125 grams, which feels much better to me.  I also "played" with the design on those handles, but after trying them, decided to return to the "larger brush" form.  Because the knots were only temporarily secured, it's a simple matter to pull them and return the handles to the lathe for fine tuning.  That should be done this afternoon.  Then, it's "try again."

Concerning the finish.  I'm not completely happy with the way I finished these prototypes.  The finish itself is great--and the method of application spot on--but the fine grooves that create the "beehive" effect are too small for effective pre-finish preparation allowing soap particles to "catch."  So I plan to widen the grooves while the handle's on the lathe.  It's a delicate operation since it's all done by hand, but it should provide an appropriate result.

I've said all this because my bottom line is simple:  when a piece (brush, razor handle, pepper mill, etc.) leaves my workshop, it is as close to perfect as I can make it.  If it's anything less, it never sees the light of day.  It becomes trash or kindling.   That's why I provide a written guarantee on everything that goes out my door.

Anyway, I appreciate your interest in this brush...and your patience with the creative process!

Know that I will use this space to announce its readiness.  Stay tuned.  It will happen. 

I think it will be worth the wait! Smile

4 647