01-21-2016, 08:40 AM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 02:59 PM)Steve56 Wrote: That's a beauty Jamie"

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve.

9 1,859
 02-07-2016, 05:38 AM
User Info
Hi all, here are some of my japanese shavers, all acquired in NOS condition and part of my rotation. I obviously do not have proper photographic equipment and talent, haven't removed the water stain before the photo shoot, but here you go!

Tanifuji
[Image: FE5R57h.jpg]

Kamijyou
[Image: BConFyo.jpg]

Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori with scales
[Image: LNtsYxL.jpg]

Iwasaki tamahagane straight[Image: POxL242.jpg]

Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori
[Image: iiLFeWv.jpg]

0 12
 02-07-2016, 06:00 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 05:38 AM)monkkx Wrote: Hi all, here are some of my japanese shavers, all acquired in NOS condition and part of my rotation. I obviously do not have proper photographic equipment and talent, haven't removed the water stain before the photo shoot, but here you go!

Tanifuji
[Image: FE5R57h.jpg]

Kamijyou
[Image: BConFyo.jpg]

Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori with scales
[Image: LNtsYxL.jpg]

Iwasaki tamahagane straight[Image: POxL242.jpg]

Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori
[Image: iiLFeWv.jpg]

Very nice collection. 
I want to try a Kamijo one day, he was a student of Iwasaki's

11 433
 02-07-2016, 06:04 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 06:00 AM)mainaman Wrote: Very nice collection. 
I want to try a Kamijo one day, he was a student of Iwasaki's

The kamijyou is my best shaver ever! The raw look might not fit everyone, but I do love it Wink
You won't be disappointed if you get one!

0 12
 02-07-2016, 07:40 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Very good razors!

Cheers, Steve

7 390
 01-10-2017, 03:10 AM
User Info
These two came in yesterday two NOS a Tanifuji 666 and a Tanifuji 54 covered tang.

Tanifuji 666
[Image: DSC_0230_zpsmvbbkevp.jpg~original]

Tanifuji 54
[Image: DSC_0231_zps4bob2cft.jpg~original]

9 1,859
 01-10-2017, 03:47 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I must be looking in the wrong places  Rolleyes, fantastic!

27 1,390
 01-10-2017, 07:00 AM
User Info
(01-10-2017, 03:47 AM)Snuff Wrote: I must be looking in the wrong places  Rolleyes, fantastic!

Ron I think you may have looked in the right place. Smile

9 1,859
 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
 01-19-2017, 06:16 PM
User Info
 01-26-2017, 06:12 PM
User Info
Are Japanese straight razors any easier to shave with.

3 63
 01-28-2017, 06:35 AM
User Info
(01-26-2017, 06:12 PM)DBart. Wrote: Are Japanese straight razors any easier to shave with.

I guess the answer to the question is "it depends." Many Kamisori shavers do not subscribe to keeping the Omote side against the face. The traditional Japanese Kamisori has an asymmetrical grind with respect to angle and type. The Omote side is ground as more of a wedge or near wedge, and has a more obtuse angle forming the bevel, whereas the Ura side is ground more hollow and meets the apex of the bevel in a more accute angle. For those people that do not keep the Omote against the face, they shave with these approaching the shave just like they would with a symmetrically ground western straight razor. The only challenge this razor gives the user shaving in this manner is that the distance the spine is away from the face is different depending on which sade of the razor is against the face. Usually this is a minor adjustment that the user becomes familier with it very quickly.

There is another widely held belief that the Kamisori was designed to be shaved keeping the Omote side against the face at all times. Personally I subscribe to this beleif and this is how I shave with the Kamisori. This type of shaving presents quite a few challenges that required a significant number of shaves for me to begin to master. The Kamisori is made in both Right and Left hand versions, which is another reason why I subscribe to this train of thought.

The Kamisori razor was first designed hundreds of years ago to be used to shave the heads of monks by a barber. To the many people who do not subscribe to the Omote against the face train of thought, they can support their argument with a plethora of YouTube videos out of Japan showing barbers shaving customer faces with a traditional Kamisori where they use both sides. Shaving your own face keeping the Omote against the face does present significant challenges, but they can be overcome. So to answer your question, it depends on how you choose to shave with it as to what challenges there are in shaving with one.

0 24
 01-28-2017, 06:47 AM
User Info
Is shaving with Shavette different from shaving with a straight?

I have bought myself a Shavette recently and am struggling to shave with it. I eventually want to graduate to a straight and was contemplating if it's actually worth and safe to use.

Is there a tutorial available on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 514
 01-28-2017, 02:12 PM
User Info
(01-28-2017, 06:47 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Is shaving with  Shavette different from shaving with a straight?

I have bought myself a Shavette recently and am struggling to shave with it. I eventually want to graduate to a straight and was contemplating if it's actually worth and safe to use.

Absolutely chalk and cheese, but It's quite similar in many aspects regarding the way you hold the shavette so I would say picking up a straight razor won't feel to alien compared to your shavette, technically they are poles apart because you simply replace the blade in one and the other needs a little TLC stropping and maintenance, If you want my opinion the graduation is without doubt a challenge and also the most rewarding if you master this fine Art.

9 1,859
 01-28-2017, 04:59 PM
User Info
(01-28-2017, 06:35 AM)McVeyMac Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 06:12 PM)DBart. Wrote: Are Japanese straight razors any easier to shave with.

I guess the answer to the question is "it depends." Many Kamisori shavers do not subscribe to keeping the Omote side against the face. The traditional Japanese Kamisori has an asymmetrical grind with respect to angle and type. The Omote side is ground as more of a wedge or near wedge, and has a more obtuse angle forming the bevel, whereas the Ura side is ground more hollow and meets the apex of the bevel in a more accute angle. For those people that do not keep the Omote against the face, they shave with these approaching the shave just like they would with a symmetrically ground western straight razor. The only challenge this razor gives the user shaving in this manner is that the distance the spine is away from the face is different depending on which sade of the razor is against the face. Usually this is a minor adjustment that the user becomes familier with it very quickly.

There is another widely held belief that the Kamisori was designed to be shaved keeping the Omote side against the face at all times. Personally I subscribe to this beleif and this is how I shave with the Kamisori. This type of shaving presents quite a few challenges that required a significant number of shaves for me to begin to master. The Kamisori is made in both Right and Left hand versions, which is another reason why I subscribe to this train of thought.

The Kamisori razor was first designed hundreds of years ago to be used to shave the heads of monks by a barber. To the many people who do not subscribe to the Omote against the face train of thought, they can support their argument with a plethora of YouTube videos out of Japan showing barbers shaving customer faces with a traditional Kamisori where they use both sides. Shaving your own face keeping the Omote against the face does present significant challenges, but they can be overcome. So to answer your question, it depends on how you choose to shave with it as to what challenges there are in shaving with one.

Thanks for the detail.  Very interesting.  I've always been interested in kamisoris, but have never read much about them.  Thanks!

9 554
 01-30-2017, 10:10 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(01-28-2017, 06:47 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Is shaving with  Shavette different from shaving with a straight?

I sent you a PM

2 271
 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Iwasaki Tokiwa

[Image: XnEOXHN.png]

[Image: DfZu85t.png]

114 465
 03-04-2017, 11:58 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Pair of 13/16 Cape 1000s, one NOS and one near mint, scaled in Lava Flow Kirinite by Alfredo (Doc226). They turned out well as I was looking for something with a little 'zing' for these.

Cheers, Steve
[Image: oaY7JNm.jpg]

7 390
 03-04-2017, 12:59 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(03-04-2017, 11:58 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Pair of 13/16 Cape 1000s, one NOS and one near mint, scaled in Lava Flow Kirinite by Alfredo (Doc226). They turned out well as I was looking for something with a little 'zing' for these.

Cheers, Steve

I really like the scales for your Capes. Very nice.

36 4,833
 03-04-2017, 01:07 PM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 11:58 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Pair of 13/16 Cape 1000s, one NOS and one near mint, scaled in Lava Flow Kirinite by Alfredo (Doc226). They turned out well as I was looking for something with a little 'zing' for these.

Cheers, Steve

Very nice excellent work by Alfredo congratulations two very fine Japanese razors.

9 1,859