06-19-2012, 07:39 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
It was razor cleaning day at Chez Songwind not long ago. I have hard water & a softener, so I get soap scum, lime deposits or salt deposits, or a horrific mixture of the three.

The Super was getting stiff to open and close so I soaked it overnight in a solution of 1:4 vinegar:water. It came out looking pretty doggone good. I then hit it (and the pieces of my DE89) with Kaboom scrubbing bubbles and a soft toothbrush. Both cleaned up nicely.

The TTO mechanism was working pretty well, with a bit of a dry rubbing feeling, so I dropped a couple of drops of 3-in-1 Oil down the center shaft. After that it opened and closed really smoothly, and I was quite pleased.

Next time I switched blades, it was getting difficult to turn again. Now, I couldn't get it to open with my bare hands last night.

Any ideas what went wrong? Did I do something particularly foolish? Miss a step? Is 3-in-1 the Adjustable version of Kryptonite? Is it a government conspiracy? Help me, Shave Nook!

10 1,858
 06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
User Info
It seems like you had some stuff that wasn't soluble in oil down there. Once you added the oil, it precipitated out and jammed the mechanism.

You can do the water/vinegar wash again, or try a very dilute ammonia solution as well. Then dry it out completely before adding any oil to it.

37 1,731
 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
It is in fact a government conspiracy but that's all I can say because "they" are watching. Dodgy

0 126
 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Whatever it is, I'd consider it heartbreaking, especially because I am not mechanically inclined.
I hope you can get it fixed and back on your face ASAP!

6 905
 06-19-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Another idea is to warm it up in hot to the touch water or a hair dryer which will loosen it some more..don,t be afraid to leave it in the water for a while ..then flush with running water and lubricate again. Also work the mechanism while flushing with the warm water.Lightbulb

6 1,913
 06-19-2012, 10:09 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(06-19-2012, 09:03 AM)EHV Wrote: Whatever it is, I'd consider it heartbreaking, especially because I am not mechanically inclined.
I hope you can get it fixed and back on your face ASAP!

Well, thankfully it got stuck with a mostly-new Schick Plus Platinum in it, so I can use it for a while yet before it goes critical.

Someone on wicked_edge suggested that 3-in-1 in a razor was not the best idea ever, so it might be as easy as cleaning (soaking) it again. I hope that's the case.

10 1,858
 06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
I believe that Gillette TTO's were never factory oiled, nor should not be oiled in mantenance cleaning.

I have taken appart many TTO's and the ones I've found in the gunkiest condition were those that showed oil residues.

There are several reasons for a faulty TTO actiion: a bent spindle shaft, a broken one (frequently fisures which show themselves in shaving as presenting one side of the head slightly more aggresive than the other), or just lots of old dired up shaving grime.

Here you can see 3 disassembled TTO's. From the pictures you can see that to achieve proper lubrication at the important spots you most likely have to flood the TTO with oil (and a few drops are more than enough to flood it). Basically oil and soap residues in tight places is not a good idea.

[Image: DSCF6869.jpg]

Bristish type TTO

[Image: disassembly1.jpg]

US type TTO

[Image: Slim1.jpg]

Adjustable

To solve this "to oil or not to oil" question, I have disassembled a NOS TTO and found no traces of oil, just clean metal. I believe that by design, tolerances are small enough for normal TTO operation and large enough so not to need oiling.

If the spindle shaft is intact, all it needs is a throrough cleaning paying spacial attention to the TTO. The "dry rubbing feeling" will go away a soon as some new shaving residues get back into the threads of the TTO. US type TTO's have lower tolerances that brit counterparts and are more prone to that grinding feel.

On ocassions (mostly on brit TTO's that are quite tricky to reassemble) I have forced the cleaning solution with a syringe and needle into the TTO and repeated the process several times giving enough time for the solution to work.

If this does not work you may have to take the TTO appart (I have never had a superadjustable, so I don't know about the specifics of the razor) and see what's going on.

Hope it helps Eric !

0 68
 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow! I love the post, Tony! Sherlock

9 1,684
 06-19-2012, 03:50 PM
User Info
Over night soak in mineral oil (baby oil), then clean in hot, not boiling, water.

9 1,199
 06-19-2012, 11:07 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Special thanks to Tony for the exploded pics - that really helps me envision what's going on in there.

10 1,858
 06-20-2012, 02:37 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
That is a fantastic post Tony and much appreciated! I surely would have thought a TTO would need to be lubricated in some way.

Eric, please let us know how this turns how. Again, I hope that by this morning, you're all set to go again!

6 905
 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
User Info
We only use mineral oil on our products because we had adverse reactions years ago with other oils. Plus its edible / food safe - a plus when you consider these razor parts are touching your face and get around your mouth.

Good luck!

0 217
 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Songwind,

Any resolution to this issue? I hope that you're all set and that everything is back to normal.
I've recently acquired my first TTO's and from the get go, I've been worried about longevity and maintenance.

6 905
 06-22-2012, 05:40 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Songwind, if you need another Super Adjustable I found one at an antique store for $15 plus tax. Let me know if you'd like me to go pick it up for you. I don't mind a bit.

116 3,804
 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
User Info
Good luck, Eric and thanks for the photos and information, Tony!

75 20,883
 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(06-22-2012, 09:05 AM)EHV Wrote: Any resolution to this issue? I hope that you're all set and that everything is back to normal.

I'm actually going to soak it in vinegar water again tonight, so I should know tomorrow.

(06-22-2012, 05:40 PM)Dave Wrote: Songwind, if you need another Super Adjustable I found one at an antique store for $15 plus tax. Let me know if you'd like me to go pick it up for you. I don't mind a bit.
Wow! That's very generous of you, Dave. I'll let you know in the next day or two if it looks like that will be necessary.

Thanks again, everyone.

10 1,858
 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
After a good long soak, it's now opening better than ever before.

10 1,858