07-01-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
http://www.amazon.com/Carson-60X-100X-Mi...P8AUMU#Ask

This is the one I have.
It is not the same but somewhat similar to the known Radioshack microscope. The Radioshack version should actually be better...?

At 7:30

However-

It is a very useful addition for sharpening and judging mistakes. Now, what do you use? Any upgrades recommended?

The above amazon link version is not all easy to use and it is a 10 USd version of a field observation microscope....

Let me know, and ...
happy sharpening!

Philipp

21 1,175
 07-01-2015, 12:23 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-01-2015, 12:09 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Carson-60X-100X-Mi...P8AUMU#Ask

This is the one I have.
It is not the same but somewhat similar to the known Radioshack microscope. The Radioshack version should actually be better...?

At 7:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z1voZKvGW8
However-

It is a very useful addition for sharpening and judging mistakes. Now, what do you use? Any upgrades recommended?

The above amazon link version is not all easy to use and it is a 10 USd version of a field observation microscope....

Let me know, and ...
happy sharpening!

Philipp

Nice find, I may try that, can't beat the price. I use a $5 30x 25mm illuminated jewelers loupe and it works fine.

15 541
 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
If you can get it, try the Radioshack version Smile

21 1,175
 07-01-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
I ended up purchasing the Carson 60-120x for 10.99 not a bad deal. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

63 1,596
 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I have used these because they have a long eye relief and do not scratch the blades when used while honing a razor; a lot of light and easy to maneuver.
Available on the 'bay and Amazon: Google 60x Microscope.
[Image: kC2pt2V.jpg]

I give them to honing students when they stop bye..
~Richard
I have not tried them on a phone...yet.

8 1,194
 08-19-2015, 05:04 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Funny... Over time, as my honing improved, I gravitated to less and less magnification. Now a 5x or 8x are more than enough. Never dove down the microscope rabbit hole though I can see the attraction to it.

Sent from East of Montauk

33 914
 08-19-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
If you are looking for a scientific microscope I would recommend the one I choose, a Swift Collfgiate 400.
It has a four lens turret and I might recommend lenses that would give you 10X, 25X, 45X and 100X for razor work.
A single 10X eyepiece works for me but I believe that you can get a version of this scope that has dual eyepieces for slightly more $.

These can be acquired on the auction sights in good condition for around $100.
The acquisition of this piece of optical equipment has made a huge difference in my ability to understand what I am accomplishing as I hone an edge, it's amazing just what you can see at 100X magnification.

One of the guys I mentor in honing just picked up am AmScope three lens turret model for $85, I think on Amazon, he said it wasn't quite the same quality as the Swift I have but was still very adequate for razor work.

Before purchasing this microscope I too believed that I was seeing all I needed to with my hand held magnification and I was producing very good edges, but I must say that having a lab quality scope has really helped me make the kind of progress that I desired.

I highly recommend acquiring this kind of equipment.

4 41
 08-19-2015, 11:22 PM
User Info
This is my choice I only use it when setting a bevel then after that I'm on auto pilot right through to my final 20K. BelOMO 20x Quadruplet Loupe Folding Magnifier, High-Quality Optical Glass with Anti-Reflection Coating for a Bright, Clear and Color Correct View.

20x Magnification Power !!!!! EXTREME HANDHELD MAGNIFICATION !!!!!Large 0.28'' (7mm) Viewing Area Focal Length 0.50"" (13mm) NOT FOR READING!!! NOT FOR GRADING OR INSPECTING DIAMONDS OR GEMS DUE TO SHALLOW DEPTH OF FIELD Use with very fine objects such as needles, razor edges, knife edges.

11 1,945
 08-19-2015, 11:45 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I bought the Carson hand held microscope and returned it the next day. It was to bothersome to use, constant fidgeting to get the edge into view. The brief time I saw the edge it was nicely revealed , showing scratch patterns but what a fight to get the edge in view. I will stick with my 30x $5 loupe. I can see what I need to and its way easier to use.

15 541
 08-20-2015, 12:33 AM
User Info
Been using a Triplet 10X or 20X loupe under an LED flashlight (1-cell type)...
Even with my failing eyesight....I find this combo still works really well....!!

Close shaves should SOOTHE ya....NOT SCARE ya!!

0 12
 08-20-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
Most magnification I use is 12x. Anything larger is just for curiosity's sake, it really has no impact on whether you can shave with the razor or not. May reveal why one stone's edge feels different than another stone's but that is all.

9 3,038