07-01-2015, 11:53 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Brush aficionados,

This beautiful butterscotch brush arrived today from the US of A.

It is marked "G2 Super Badger Sterilized Made in England." No other markings. 

To me it looks like a Simpson, judging by the quality lathing/turning (Stan Archer??) and general feel, plus the stamping looks similar to other Simpsons I own from the 1960s Somerset Nimmer Mill era, but who really knows? It is like a larger version of the Wee Scot.

I'd be interested in your speculations.

It has rather a narrow knot: 18mm, meaning it doesn't have a much backbone. It is an incredibly soft brush, though. Good if you ever have sunburn, I guess Smile

Other dimensions are:

Handle height: 48
Knot height: 45
Total height: 93
Width: 32

Enjoy

[Image: kh9RGKl.jpg]
[Image: ohQ3aub.jpg]

0 1,769
 07-02-2015, 04:30 AM
User Info
sweet relic

0 72
 07-02-2015, 05:04 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Do you think it's a Simpson?

0 1,769
 07-02-2015, 06:44 AM
User Info
(07-02-2015, 05:04 AM)Shaun Wrote: Do you think it's a Simpson?

You clearly know more than I do about vintage Simpsons. 

Can you match letters in the lampblack stamp to those appearing on handles known to be of Simpson make from roughly the same period?

3 997
 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The marks on your brush are remarkably similar to my Redleaf:

[Image: FasLyv0.jpg]

The most distinguishing mark is the period after Made in England.  I have never seen this on any other brush until now and have gone back and forth on my beliefs as to the manufacturer.  Most of the vintage Simpson brushes are formatted model, hair grade, Made in England, and then either Sterilized or Simpsons, which made me believe that it must be another manufacturer. But then I remembered the very early Simpsons, made in London, used this similar format so that leaves the possibility open. 

[Image: PN8Utxp.jpg]

I honestly am leaning more towards both of our brushes being made by a different manufacturer (Clemak, Culmak, Kent, Benwell, Rooney, Vulfix or others that I can't think of), but I haven't had the free time to do further investigation.  All I know is it is fun to own these historical pieces and compete with you and others in bidding on them.

144 2,752
 07-02-2015, 09:17 AM
User Info
I have to hit my books, but I'm on a 50/50 on this one.  It is a beautiful brush and the font is soooo similar to the vintage Simpsons I have seen from that period.

Beautiful addition no matter what!

61 3,796
 07-02-2015, 12:53 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Dave, yes, I had noticed that full stop, and it had me wondering, too. It was the similarity to the Wee Scot that had me wondering, too. Your points are well made. It may remain a mystery.

0 1,769