06-19-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
Does anyone know of any links to instructions for disassembling and reassembling a Gillette Toggle.

I need to service one of mine and I was hoping there were instructions out there somewhere.

Thanks.

37 1,731
 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
Can not help you, Yohann, but good luck as that may be a big task.

75 20,883
 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Quite sure I have seen on on Badger and Blade..look under Gillette Toggle

6 1,913
 06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Yohann,

Someone at B&B disassembled theirs, but basically broke it in the process. There are some photos floating around, but it really doesn't do you any good.

I was able to take one partially apart. On the toggle lever there is a little metal cylinder. You need to tap it out. Thats the real key to getting the process started. When you do so, there is a very small metal ball that is hiding in the lever. Be VERY careful not to lose this.

If you could be more specific regarding what you'd like to do I MAY be able to help guide you

9 541
 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
I had one that wouldn't adjust, and I sent it to Razor Emporium for repair. They took it apart and cleaned it but said that the adjustment mechanism on the Toggle (vs. the other Gillette adjustables) really cannot be effectively repaired. If that's your issue, you may be out of luck even if you do dissemble it.

0 419
 06-20-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
Toggles function differently than your average Fatboy or Slim. They are not keen to being repaired in most cases because the entire tray has to be moved around. There's a lot of metal-on-metal contact, friction and places where difficulty with blade adjustments can get fouled up.

Remember that Gillette never intended on these things lasting so long- they weren't necessarily made for reassembly and taking apart. I think some people think of these razors in the same light as a firearm- something you are supposed to take apart and clean with regular usage.

Quite the contrary is true in our opinion. Most razors function better with a fair amount of soap scum inside of them. I know that sounds disgusting, but when we take apart and plate a British razor, it's never as smooth until it starts getting some usage again and a layer of soap inside kind of lubricates everything.

Gillette did not lubricate these razors and half of the design incorporated water / soap getting inside of them. We use mineral oil to speed this process up after we plate a razor because frankly, they are very stiff feeling.

If your adjustment isn't working right, I'd first suggest a conventional soak in vinegar/water overnight. If that doesn't help, we often use liquid wrench to free non-moving parts. Afterwards, we ultrasonically clean the parts and lubricate with mineral oil.

Hope that helps- good luck!

0 217
 06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
Thanks a lot, Matt and Mike.

You guys answered my questions about this razor. The one I have as an adjustment knob that turns, but the razor doesn't actually adjust. I was pretty sure that it is now a non-adjustable. Smile

As it happens, the razor has stuck at a setting that I like, so it's still eminently usable.

I may try the cleaning protocol that Matt mentioned, but I'll otherwise leave it at that.

37 1,731