06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
I have a lead on a few razors, looking for some opinions....$125 for the whole lot.

One Remus razor, one "Red Imp" Solingen Germany, one "The Artist" Germany, one Crown Cuttlery, one Genco "Grant", "Happy Hone" dual sided hone, and three custom made carrying sheaths.

0 4
 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
It's hard to tell, but that hone does not look like its for razors, it appears far too coarse. It's most likely for chisels and other tools

The razors are ok. Red Imps have been popular recently. They are all likely to be good shavers, but none of them are of particular value, with the exception of the Imp.

I'd say its an ok price at $125. Keep in mind that they will all most likely need to be honed. From what I can tell, it doesn't appear that any of them have any issues. I'm a quality over quantity type of guy, so if it were me I would probably just pass. I don't think its a bad deal, but it isn't a steal either.

I hope this helps somewhat. If you have further questions I'd be happy to help.

9 541
 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
User Info
Thanks GreekGuy....I appreciate it!

0 4
 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-19-2012, 03:54 PM)Midnite Stalker Wrote: Thanks GreekGuy....I appreciate it!

My pleasure! Are you looking to get started or just add some more tools to the arsenal?

9 541
 06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
User Info
Just starting...picked up a blade from Whipped Dog...wanted to get something else to try my hand at honing without completely ruining my current edge. But I think I may have already lost my edge slightly from nicking my strope a few times.

0 4
 06-19-2012, 04:08 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-19-2012, 04:04 PM)Midnite Stalker Wrote: Just starting...picked up a blade from Whipped Dog...wanted to get something else to try my hand at honing without completely ruining my current edge. But I think I may have already lost my edge slightly from nicking my strope a few times.

I think you definitely made the right move by going with the Whipped Dog deal. I don't think there is a better option to get started

Those are all going to be decent shavers.

If you just want to try honing, you might be able to get a few "corrected" Gold Dollars from somebody. Although I've heard the new ones don't have nearly as many shoulder issues as in the past.

Do you have an hone? I honestly don't think that one would be any good for razors. I think the best hone would be a coticule. Any vein, doesn't matter. The learning curve is a little steep, but I think its worth the effort if you're serious about straights. If you don't see yourself buying a bunch of blades or using them exclusively, I would just use the CrOx that you got from Larry on the balsa hone. I kept a blade shaving sharp for nearly a year using only CrOx.

9 541
 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
User Info
Yeah still not 100% about the straight yet, I am a bit nervous and tense with it still. But I am def going to keep at it, I do love the products though (brush, shave soaps, etc...).

I'll take your advice and stick with the CrOx, would nicking my strop kill my edge? I saw a video online of this guy being able to cut hair simply by dropping it onto his black. Is that realistic or is his black super sharp?

0 4
 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 04:21 PM)Midnite Stalker Wrote: Yeah still not 100% about the straight yet, I am a bit nervous and tense with it still. But I am def going to keep at it, I do love the products though (brush, shave soaps, etc...).

I'll take your advice and stick with the CrOx, would nicking my strop kill my edge? I saw a video online of this guy being able to cut hair simply by dropping it onto his black. Is that realistic or is his black super sharp?

Can you get them that sharp ..yes. Is it needed ..no. Some guys into straights get super involved in the honing process and it becomes a hobby in itself. Remember when straight shaving was the only way, most guys just had a strop and a barber's hone. They got by on a daily basis

2 697
 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 04:49 PM)SteelTown Wrote:
(06-19-2012, 04:21 PM)Midnite Stalker Wrote: Yeah still not 100% about the straight yet, I am a bit nervous and tense with it still. But I am def going to keep at it, I do love the products though (brush, shave soaps, etc...).

Can you get them that sharp ..yes. Is it needed ..no. Some guys into straights get super involved in the honing process and it becomes a hobby in itself. Remember when straight shaving was the only way, most guys just had a strop and a barber's hone. They got by on a daily basis

I do believe they sent them out for a proper honing back in the old days. Most edge refreshing can be done by the shaver, but when the edge needs reset you can't use a strop or barbers hone. A good edge should last a good while, but most people new to straights can butcher the edge with improper stropping.

9 451
 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
i would have to agree with Nick. If you are just starting out, all those razors would not be worth picking up as you already have a good one. Use it and decide after a good six months to a year if you will continue with straights, then you can start collecting them. Good luck.

75 20,883
 06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-19-2012, 04:21 PM)Midnite Stalker Wrote: I'll take your advice and stick with the CrOx, would nicking my strop kill my edge? I saw a video online of this guy being able to cut hair simply by dropping it onto his black. Is that realistic or is his black super sharp?

There is a little bit of debate about that and I'm not 100% sure if nicking your strop destroys the edge. Of course, it isn't good, but I think as long as it is mild it is something that can be fixed with the CrOx and some time stropping. Dinging it against a countertop, faucet, etc. That will ruin your edge and it will need to be honed. But leather? I don't think so. I am not an expert on that, however, so I could very well be mistaken.

With regards to the sharpness of the blade, I personally think there are some people who are obsessed with sharpness. For me, sharper isn't necessarily better. I like a sharper edge than a coticule gives, but a little time on a Thuringian hone, or even just CrOx helps me dial in the edge where I like it. I've felt some super sharp edges and honestly, I think they feel harsh. Honing in and of itself is an art, and many people invest huge amounts of time and money in it. If I were you, I would focus on just the shaving part. If you love it, then you can delve into honing. But for starters, its best to keep it simple.

As mentioned, a barbers hone is a very budget friendly option. When used when the razor is JUST starting to dull, it can maintain an edge for a long time. Years if you don't ding the blade or anything like that. You can even use lather on it to get an even finer edge. For $20 give or take, they are a great choice. But probably not entirely necessary at this point, and they certainly won't take an edge from dull to shave ready. They are similar to CrOx in usage, but perhaps do a little more grunt work. To me, CrOx is for very fine tuning

9 541
 06-21-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
Nick pretty much said all that needs to be said. If after you decide you like straight shaving and if you pick up another razor that needs honing I'll do it for ya, you only need to pay the shipping.

0 56