06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
User Info
Thanks to a B&B member (luvmysuper), who identified this little razor by my cell phone pick. I managed to swing back a couple days after seeing it and it was still there.

A bit of cleaning, revealed a near mint razor. We'll see how it shaves this week end.

Not sure if anyone has any more info on it, there is a pat # on the underside, but no other make or model, anywhere.

How'd I do for less then the price of a Subway lunch?

Razor weighs in at just over 45g, a little less then my Fat Handle Tech

BEFORE CLEANING:
[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=36154]

[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=36156]

POST CLEANING:
[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=36158]
[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=36160]
[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=36161]

8 2,718
 06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Very nice razor. I like the slot that holds the blade in secure and even. That is kind of old school design but very effective. Congratulations and let us know how it shaves.

100 12,438
 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
here is a google page pdf, same PAT #, dates it around 1945

PATENT 2374612

8 2,718
 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
handle looks better than most I have seen. These have a huge blade gap; however, the blade sits so far back from the cap that it is a very mild razor. According the patent, the teeth on top are to hold extra water to help lubricate the shave. I don't know if they exactly worked as designed, but the shave king is a nice shave but on the mild side. Pair it with a good blade and you can have a grand shave. Yes, in case you can't tell, I do have one.

There was a thread over at B&B several years ago where we pulled up patent information, etc.. I will have to go looking... Hmmm... I can't find it, but Bruce already supplied the patent info

0 253
 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
lovely time-piece Bruce Cool

when you get the chance, and give your shave review, please supply a pic with a blade loaded!

9 1,684
 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM
User Info
I have one that has Self Lubricating on top. Interestingly mine has 13 teeth while yours only 12. I can't make out the patent number, but on mine it is 2374612 and here: http://www.google.com/patents?id=3xdDAAA...&q&f=false it shows 14, teeth I wonder if there are any more variations.

Found a picture, sorry it's not a good shot:    

0 59
 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM
User Info
What a cool looking design. I've seen other razors with slotted or combed caps, but none so much as the one you have there. Very cool razor, it looks solid and really well built.

9 451
 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
User Info
The Grand Shave King is my favorite daily razor. Absolutely. I Heart Heart Heart this razor. Yeah.

My strong recommendation is to immediately put a heavier handle on it. One drop, and the neck breaks. There is no fixing this razor once the cheap aluminum breaks off. I have broken two until I realized if I put a heavier handle on it, it would not land on its head but land instead on the handle. It is the only way to save this razor. Over here at my house, accidents happen. So...

Currently, because I lost my CoonCatBob handle (damnit), I am using a Tradere handle. And, I really like this handle. It feels really quite perfect in my hand. Not as weighty as Bob's, but that may be a good thing. And so far, I have not dropped it. (However, this is an area where I'm not an optimist...eventually there will be too many soapy bubbles, and undoubtly, I will drop it...)

Enjoy your shaves!Cool

0 35
 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
User Info
"it looks solid and really well built."

Mine has a tendency for the cap to bend if it is tightened too much, I believe the slots weaken the cap significantly.

0 59
 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM
User Info
I forgot to mention, I have Never nicked myself with this razor. Never. The area I am prone to nicking is around my ankles. The skin is thin there and, man, no matter how careful.

Also, this razor gives my legs, and other areas, wonderfully smooth shaves. The water lubrication is ideal for long passes, short ones too. I have not been disappointed a single time with this razor. And I always use a fresh blade, maybe two shaves at most.

I wish this company had marketed this razor to women, and I wish it came with the heavier handle. Oh well. Preserve the one you have now...get the heavier handle! (I'm glad you have some handles on the way...) Shy

0 35
 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
User Info
Here is a shot of the blade gap on mine

0 59
 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
yeah that blade gap looks scary, but the blade is recessed out of the line from cap to guard, you would have to work to get yourself.

Here is an old pic from mine...

[Image: bladeexposure2%2520line.JPG]
[Image: blade%2520exposure%2520with%2520line.JPG]

0 253
 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 07:05 PM)etoyoc Wrote: yeah that blade gap looks scary, but the blade is recessed out of the line from cap to guard, you would have to work to get yourself.

+1 to that.

i just loaded up a blade to see if i wanted to try tomorrow, and it's a little scary looking. reminds me of the face schredder R41 i had and quickly sold Confused

8 2,718
 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
i would not be too worried about the blade gap as the teeth protrude so far that it is probably somewhat of a mild shaver compared to other vintage open-combs.

75 20,883
 06-20-2012, 05:11 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(06-19-2012, 08:26 PM)celestino Wrote: i would not be too worried about the blade gap as the teeth protrude so far that it is probably somewhat of a mild shaver compared to other vintage open-combs.

Yup, that has been my experience. As you can see with the red line in my images, the blade sits behind the line from the cap to guard. So despite a huge blade gap, the blade won't contact the skin unless you apply way too much pressure. It is a mild shave - very comfortable, but not always very close.

0 253
 06-20-2012, 06:56 AM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 08:26 PM)celestino Wrote: i would not be too worried about the blade gap as the teeth protrude so far that it is probably somewhat of a mild shaver compared to other vintage open-combs.

YEAH, i used it this morning and it was milder (or seemed to be) then my other razors, but still delivered a DFS on my 1st go round.

like a few other shave said, no weepers, no cuts, no irritation. it alsmost seemed like it was going to end up with a lot of stubble still left after 3 passes, but it's because it was so smooth.

handle is very light, i'll try a few others and see if i can tweak/frankenrazor it to handle better, but overall, i'm happy with how it performed on my 1st shave.

8 2,718
 06-20-2012, 06:59 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Wow, I missed this one over the years. Congrats!

35 2,703