07-04-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
I can imagine these questions have been asked a zillion times, but here goes:
I'm interested in switching to a DE safety razor.  I've been looking for an adjustable because I believe that would be the best way to find a razor with a gap that works best for me.  What do y'all think?
Also, if I find a vintage razor like on Ebay (which many of you don't seem to like), does the condition of the face matter that much.  I've looked at some doors that are scratched up, but the plating is still good.  However, I've been limiting my search to doors that are nearly pristine smooth.  Opinions?
Lastly, I've considered the Feather DE on Amazon for about $10 with a couple of blades.  Supposedly, it's a mild razor which I think would be best to start with.

My beard is fine and probably considered medium - somewhere between thin and thick.

Thanks.

0 23
 07-04-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard - you may want to go ahead and make a thread over in the introduction forum to let people know you're here Smile

I used to own a Feather Popular - since PIFed to a fellow wetshaver - and I found it a very nice beginners razor. I found it very mild, and it worked best for me when mated to an aggressive blade such as the Feather.

3 4,373
 07-04-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
Adjustables as a first razor are frowned upon because it's one more variable a new person would haft to deal with. That being said if your hearts set on a adjustable I'd go for the slim because it's cheaper. I'd look on here in the buy sell trade before anywhere. A lot of old gillettes I've seen have been dropped and the blade gap looks like that of a slant razor, if you haft to go auction site only look at razors that have multiple clear pictures. The slim or super adjustable are going to be  cheaper than a fat boy

Option 2 is a merkur progress I have gillettes and the progress and they are similar in terms of aggression. Both do shave different but both are great IMO. If you haft to have an adjustable leave it alone for a month at first, because I promise you it's not the razor or its setting its you, and I don't mean that in a bad way we've all been there.  any of the razors I mentioned are super mild for me on 1 ,if you get a gillette I'd start about a 3 and not adjust it until I had my technique down, with the progress 2 maybe 2.5

I would also consider an old superspeed edwin jagger de89 or merkur 34c all are non adjustables and give great shaves without the added complications of adjusting for a new guy the razors are listed in order of aggression.

3 1,356
 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook! If you have time, you should introduce yourself, here:  http://shavenook.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4

I would recommend the Feather Popular if you want to start out with DE razors as it is a very mild shaver and with your light/medium beard if you practice with it for 1-2 months and refine your technique, then you can get yourself an adjustable like the Merkur Progress (modern) or a Slim or Fatboy (vintage) to experiment with. 
Good luck with your decision.

82 21,056
 07-04-2015, 12:53 PM
User Info
Wow!  Thank all of you for the fast and very helpful replies.  After reading all of them, I'm leaning toward buying the Feather to get me started.

0 23
 07-04-2015, 12:57 PM
User Info
(07-04-2015, 12:53 PM)razornewbietx Wrote: Wow!  Thank all of you for the fast and very helpful replies.  After reading all of them, I'm leaning toward buying the Feather to get me started.

The feather popular is fairly mild IMO. I had one and its length and weight can be good for going from cart to de. For the same price a gillette superspeed can be had if you look around. The feather is plastic and I couldn't get that good of shaves with it but you may be able to.

Main thing is don't get discouraged there is a learning curve to this method of shaving and it takes time. Go for looking presentable rather than being baby smooth until you get your technique down. Focus on angle and pressure and take your time.

Scratches on the doors on vintages are pretty much on all of them, it's if you see the plating coming off a lot I would pass,if you'd like since I believe it's against the rules in public shoot me a pm of your price range and what your looking for If you want to go vintage and I'll see if I can't find you one that is good to go.

3 1,356
 07-04-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
I also wanted to let y'all know that Don with techichi_shave on Ebay was giving me the same guidance that was given here.  I was looking at an adjustable techichi_shave sold and he talked me out of it, and gave me other suggestions like y'all did.  Just wanted you to know that.

0 23
 07-04-2015, 01:11 PM
User Info
If you want a superspeed pm me. It's got the black handle and is a good user grade ,no plating issues but she's not a collector piece and it won't set you back much. I'll throw a mini blade sampler in with it...heck if u want I have brushes and some good soaps too just let me know

3 1,356
 07-04-2015, 01:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All good advise above.  I still use a Feather Popular as a travel razor.

175 23,752
 07-04-2015, 04:07 PM
User Info
I went ahead and ordered a Feather Popular from Amazon for 10.40 w/2 day delivery.  Like Johnny said, I will be able to use it as a travel razor later.

0 23
 07-04-2015, 08:16 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
Glad you're part of the TSN community -- it's a great forum!

You may well be aware of this, but in case not, I just wanted to throw in my two cents in addition to all the great input from above. You can have a really good razor and blade match for you, but it will feel like a serrated table knife, if your lather is wanting. If you already have a soap (or cream) whose quality you're confident of, You Tube tutorials can be really helpful. If you're still shopping, I think you would find a consensus that you'd be hard-pressed to find a better lathering soap for the money than Arko stick (Amazon or ebay). I grate it with a cheese grater, pack it down in a mug or bowl, and it all but lathers by itself. People hate, tolerate or love the house cleaning-lemony fragrance, but rarely take issue with its outstanding performance.

You've got a pretty good razor on the way. Make good lather (go for yogurt consistency and sheen for maximum slickness and cushion), and use a blade with a reputation of being at least moderately sharp and smooth. Don't make any "equipment" changes for at least a few weeks, and you'll move surprisingly quickly on the technique learning curve!

12 163
 07-08-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
OK.  Got my Feather Popular yesterday.  Whipped up some lather and shaved with it.  I think some old muscle memory (old muscles and old memories) kicked in because I think I did pretty good for the first time though I did look at some videos on the web about DE shaving.  Just a couple of nicks.  I guess the Feather blades are so sharp, I didn't even feel them, just saw a little blood.  The shave was about equal to my cartridge shave, and there was some razor burn.  Today, I decided to use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream so I could see what I was doing with the razor - it doesn't give any lather, but lubes well.  Well, this shave was very, very close.  Wow!  Still a couple of nicks, and a little more razor burn than yesterday.  Should I keep plugging along to better my technique?  Try different blades, i.e. get a blade sample pack?  Or?  Opinions please.

Thanks.

0 23
 07-09-2015, 08:21 AM
User Info
Get a sample pack of blades, but use only one blade brand for several shaves. Don't change up your cream/soap, prep, etc. too much at first, until you achieve good technique. Just slowly change/introduce one thing at a time. Otherwise, you won't know what is helping and what is not.

1 67
 07-09-2015, 08:35 AM
User Info
Greetings! Welcome to the Shave Nook. Smile

16 1,891
 07-09-2015, 08:46 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

26 4,895
 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM
User Info
Give the Astra so blades a try, personal labs and meds get great reviews as well. If it were me I would Google DE sample pack and get the biggest one I can find. I would post some samplers with 100 blades in them but I don't want to break any rules.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 09:16 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Give the Astra so blades a try, personal labs and meds get great reviews as well. If it were me I would Google DE sample pack and get the biggest one I can find.  I would post some samplers with 100 blades in them but I don't want to break any rules.
Getting some Astra blades and some others to try in the mail soon.

0 23
 07-12-2015, 11:04 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Before sinking money into it, see if you think that DE shaving looks promising.  Your idea about an adjustable is very wise, but will cost you.

My suggestion is to get a Parker 24C, 26C or 82R - these will each cost ~$30 and are very good.  If you like DE shaving and want to move on, I would definitely spend the money on a Fatboy or the Super Adjustable [long or short handle]- two of the best ever.

P.S. If you go Super Adjustable, make sure you get one that has a metal base plate [below, on left].  Later models switched to a plastic base plate [below, on right].

Good luck and enjoy!

[Image: P1010432.jpg]

1 795
 07-16-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
Nothing wrong with trying a Gillette Tech. Mild, tolerates different blade choices well, super sharp and not so sharp. They are easy to get.

As many have said, stick to one piece of equipment and blade for a while and just go with the grain. Technique and no pressure are key.

Welcome to the insanity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 345
 07-16-2015, 04:58 PM
User Info
(07-16-2015, 02:20 PM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote: Nothing wrong with trying a Gillette Tech. Mild, tolerates different blade choices well, super sharp and not so sharp. They are easy to get.

+1. They shave great, and can be very reasonably priced. I'm enjoying mine, particularly with a Feather blade.

0 1,053