07-04-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
I can get a great deal on this brush from G&C because of some issues I had with another brush.
 But I already own the Vie Long Barbershop 2-band brush which has very similar specs.

The claim is that the 2-band hair used in the anniversary edition is something extra soft for a 2-band, but is there any reason to believe this ?

And I have a feeling the hair is the same used in the also newly released Vie Long Barbershop 2-band brush.

If any one owns the Vie Long 75.th Anniversary brush, please add your opinion regarding the brush, and I would be very happy  Biggrin

[Image: brocha-de-afeitar-tejon-dos-bandas-vie-l...rsario.jpg]
[Image: brocha-de-afeitar-barbershop-vie-long-te...bandas.jpg]

24 5,843
 07-04-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
That anniversary is a lovely brush. I'd be interested in comments that anyone may have on it, especially how it face lathers with the loft it has.

7 1,182
 07-04-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
I must say that the hair used in the Anniversary is incredibly soft when running my fingers through it, one of the softest badger knots i have come across (can't comment on the new Shavemac silvertip hair since i haven't used it yet).

The specs are 24/55 but it has a good amount of backbone even with its high loft, it holds its shape incredibly well when soaked or full of lather and that allows for great control of the lather when applying to the face, the knot is very soft and springy as well as being fairly dense (not overly dense) Has excellent flow through, releasing lather readily. The handle is very practical and comfortable to hold in the hand!

If you plan on face lathering i must note that my first couple of shaves that i had with the Anniversary i detected a little bit of scritch, not too scritchy but i thought that it's worth pointing out, the scritch is pretty much unnoticeable after the first dozen shaves.

Another thing worth noting, is when you receive the brush it really stinks - Smells almost like paint stripper to my nose but again this went away pretty quickly if you use some strong scented creams or soaps.

Hope that helps, it definitely is a great brush - not sure whether it is the same knot as your barber pole though since i have never tried that brush.

7 783
 07-04-2015, 02:31 PM
User Info
(07-04-2015, 02:20 PM)AndyC Wrote: I must say that the hair used in the Anniversary is incredibly soft when running my fingers through it, one of the softest badger knots i have come across (can't comment on the new Shavemac silvertip hair since i haven't used it yet).

The specs are 24/55 but it has a good amount of backbone even with its high loft, it holds its shape incredibly well when soaked or full of lather and that allows for great control of the lather when applying to the face, the knot is very soft and springy as well as being fairly dense (not overly dense) Has excellent flow through, releasing lather readily. The handle is very practical and comfortable to hold in the hand!

If you plan on face lathering i must note that my first couple of shaves that i had with the Anniversary i detected a little bit of scritch, not too scritchy but i thought that it's worth pointing out, the scritch is pretty much unnoticeable after the first dozen shaves.

Another thing worth noting, is when you receive the brush it really stinks - Smells almost like paint stripper to my nose but again this went away pretty quickly if you use some strong scented creams or soaps.

Hope that helps, it definitely is a great brush - not sure whether it is the same knot as your barber pole though since i have never tried that brush.

Thanks Andy,,
I already own 7 Vie Long's and it's the sleeper of badger brushes, that no one really talks about.

It's all about Simpson, M&F, Shavemac, Paladin (M&F) and Plisson.

Whilte I own a number of these great brushes, and also find these mentioned brands of brushes EXCELLENT, I still to this day have a hard time finding a brush that truly beats for instance the two Bullgoose Vie Long JL Peteree 23 mm 3-band Sivlertip and 2-Band Super badger brushes, that I have now owned for 2-3 years now.

I paid less than $120 for them each. And both beats my Simpson Duke 3 Best easily to be honest.

They can compete with my M&F's brushes too. Easily.

They also give all 8 of my Shavemac badgers a hard time too.

All the Vie Long badgers I have owned has the same stink to them, so I know they have to be rinsed and washed in soap thoroughly before using them for an actual shave.
But I do that with all my badgers, so no problem.

I think the 75.th Anniversary Vie Long and the Epsilon 3-band 26 mm Silvertyip will be the next two brushes I add to my badger collection, which I have a hard time downsizing at the moment  Wink

24 5,843
 07-04-2015, 02:57 PM
User Info
I agree Claus, the Vie-long 2-bands are among some of my favourite knots, and in my opinion are very underrated and perform as well.. If not better than some of the higher end brushes.

7 783
 07-04-2015, 03:05 PM
User Info
That would be a lovely knot if it were 26mm +   Shy

82 21,056
 07-04-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
I would concur with what AndyC said about the brush. I only had one other Vie-long 2-band, which was El Toro Ganso, and am glad to have a 2-band from them back in my rotation. I still need to use it more, but this is a great counterpart to my Vielong 16510 I think it is in 3-band silvertip. I think it is an exceptional grade of badger and has it's own distinct flavor. Definitely 75th Anniversary caliber worthy in my opinion!

21 607
 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
User Info
Andy Agree  Cool

8 1,676
 07-05-2015, 05:02 AM
User Info
I would be interested to know how the performance of the 2-band hair in the Vie-Long Anniversary brush compares to the performance of the 2-band and Silvertip hair in
the Vie-Long Epsilon brushes.  It is my understanding that the 2-band hair in the two brushes is different.

0 3,340
 07-05-2015, 10:58 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 05:02 AM)jaguar Wrote: I would be interested to know how the performance of the 2-band hair in the Vie-Long Anniversary brush compares to the performance of the 2-band and Silvertip hair in
the Vie-Long Epsilon brushes.  It is my understanding that the 2-band hair in the two brushes is different.

Will order at the end of this month, will report back by the end of the summer with my thoughts  Smile

I own these Vie Long brushes :

Vie Long Lord Randal faux horn 25 mm 3-Band Silvertip bulb
Vie Long JL Petree 2-Band 23 mm bulb
Vie Long JL Petree 3-Band Silvertip 23 mm bulb
Vie Long 16510 3-Band Silvertip (50 mm loft) 24 mm bulb
Vie Long Epsilon 2-Band 26 mm 2-band Super bulb
Vie Long Barbershop pole 2-Band Super 24 mm bulb

and will soon own the Epsilon 3-band Silvertip 50 mm Bulb and the Vie Long 75.th Anniversary edition 2-Band Super 24 mm Bulb

Vie Long is officially then along with Shavemac the brush brand I have most from in my badger brush collection.

24 5,843
 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have one on order along with an Epsilon 2-band and will share my thoughts when they have arrived stateside.  I would agree with you Claus that Vie-Long is a very good value in this age of high dollar premium brushes as the Silvertip and 2-band used in Vie-Long is very competitive with brands costing 2-3 times as much.

139 2,677
 07-07-2015, 07:39 AM
User Info
I have a one and it is by far the softest natural brush I have come across. I can compare it directly to my BSB brush with a very similar 2 band knot in size and shape also from Vie-Long and the difference is quite pronounced, the 75'th anniversary brush is significantly softer.  This is a very unique knot, IMO. I am actually considering buying another as a backup

3 248
 07-08-2015, 07:20 PM
User Info
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 75th anniversary Vie-Long brush. The majority of my collection right now are boar and synthetic brushes. I've been trying to find a badger that my face can tolerate (it hates scritchy brushes) and it's been interesting to see what works and what doesn't. This and the Thater 3 band will be my first high end badgers in a while. I had a Simpson Colonel 2xl that I gave to a good friend of mine because it was too scratchy for me.

29 485
 07-09-2015, 04:39 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I've been curious about the 75th anniv. brush also.  Hoping to read some reviews once people have a chance to try them out.

42 581
 07-09-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
I've used mine maybe 6 or 7 times and I still find it to be a bit scritchy, although it makes and releases great lather.  I'm going to give it several more lathers to soften up before I decide if it's a keeper- especially since Andy mentioned a dozen shaves... 

The handle is really comfortable, and if I don't keep the brush I'll be on the lookout for a similar profile.

Looking forward to everyone's comments.

10 1,652
 07-09-2015, 07:25 PM
User Info
Mine just arrived today and the tips are some the softest I've felt in a natural hair brush. I agree with you on the handle design and will be getting to shaving with it once the knot dries out from my test lather. What I didn't expect was how densely packed the knot was. It looked close to the pictures from G&C, but much nicer in person IMHO. The bloom really surprised me with how much the knot opened up!

29 485
 07-10-2015, 06:40 AM
User Info
In comparison to the Epsilon 2 band, the hair type is identical, both equally soft with all the same characteristics. Only difference being the Epsilon has a bigger knot and is more densely packed (slightly) with a shorter loft resulting in more backbone.

[Image: MrFzh2p.jpg]

[Image: 9WHFr0g.jpg]
Anniversary (Left) Epsilon (Right)

[Image: mDztpT3.jpg]

Apologies for the crappy Phone camera Dodgy

7 783
 07-10-2015, 07:51 AM
User Info
Was the Epsilon scritchy at the outset? I really like the loft of the 75 since the hair has such good firmness. There is no flop at all.

10 1,652
 07-10-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 07:51 AM)number six Wrote: Was the Epsilon scritchy at the outset? I really like the loft of the 75 since the hair has such good firmness. There is no flop at all.

The Epsilon was a bit scritchy and still is, i have used the 75 a bit more than the Epsilon but i think it's safe to say the Epsilon will probably soften up like the 75 did, i should say that i mostly use painted strokes when lathering so the scritch might not be as noticeable for me than someone who uses circular motions when applying lather.

I too really like the loft of the 75 which surprised me since i am knot a big fan of high lofts, but with the 75 - It retains its shape so well that i think its perfect.

Both are excellent brushes, difficult to say which i prefer out of the two though, either brush will be a pleasurable experience.

7 783
 07-10-2015, 12:21 PM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 10:20 AM)AndyC Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 07:51 AM)number six Wrote: Was the Epsilon scritchy at the outset? I really like the loft of the 75 since the hair has such good firmness. There is no flop at all.

The Epsilon was a bit scritchy and still is, i have used the 75 a bit more than the Epsilon but i think it's safe to say the Epsilon will probably soften up like the 75 did, i should say that i mostly use painted strokes when lathering so the scritch might not be as noticeable for me than someone who uses circular motions when applying lather.

I too really like the loft of the 75 which surprised me since i am knot a big fan of high lofts, but with the 75 - It retains its shape so well that i think its perfect.

Both are excellent brushes, difficult to say which i prefer out of the two though, either brush will be a pleasurable experience.

I also get a bit of scritch from my Epsilon 2-band.
Just ordered the Epsilon 3-band in 50 mm loft. Expect it to feel nicer.

24 5,843