07-04-2015, 03:02 PM
User Info
Good day to all... I've been wet shaving since I can remember. However, I just picked up traditional shaving a few months ago and I can now say that I actually enjoy shaving. Anyways, I feel like I have a decent arsenal of wet shaving items. However, just wanted to get your guy's opinion on some new trends or new items on the market that would be an interesting perk or addition to an already fairly established den... Thanks...

22 203
 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM
User Info
I'm not sure I understand your definition of wet shaving verses traditional wet shaving.  Can you expound please.

0 123
 07-04-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
I'm also confused as to what you mean. Also, which products are you looking for?

13 947
 07-04-2015, 04:06 PM
User Info
You can say that wet shaving includes any non-electric based shaving method including carts. Traditional shaving would be brush, soap/cream, DE/SE/Straight.

41 1,196
 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM
User Info
(07-04-2015, 04:06 PM)shevek Wrote: You can say that wet shaving includes any non-electric based shaving method including carts. Traditional shaving would be brush, soap/cream, DE/SE/Straight.

Wet shaving refers to the lather made with a brush. Maybe he means using a straight?

3 1,356
 07-04-2015, 06:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Probably means a DE instead of a cart

46 18,625
 07-04-2015, 06:48 PM
User Info
The latest and greatest trends would probably be synthetic brushes and slant DE razors. I realize both have been around for quite some time but they do seem to be gaining in popularity. Also might want to try some artisan shaving soaps.

13 947
 07-04-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
Synthetic brushes
French style soaps
Cologne aftershaves ( strong , long lasting scent )
Various finishes on your de razors

63 1,597
 07-04-2015, 07:14 PM
User Info
Modern SE razors
Synthetic brushes
Home brewed aftershaves & soaps

31 8,058
 07-04-2015, 07:16 PM
User Info
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. Bullgoose nailed it. I was shaving with cartage razors like the Gillette Mach 3 and 5, along with shaving gel and alcohol based aftershave. As you can imagine, that took a toll on my face. I did not enjoy shaving at all so I looked for al alternative. Now I use double edge safety razors along with a horse shaving brush ( my choice of brush) and shaving soap. Because of this more traditional shaving style I have changed my entire shaving routine. I have no razor burn, no ingrown hairs and minimal knicks. I am also now dipping into the straight razor realm but that requires a lot more skill which I am still working on. Anyways, hope this help define traditional shaving versus modern wet shaving....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 203
 07-04-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
What's your go to razor? Brush, favorite brand of soap or cream? I can throw you 100 things I like but if you've already tried it or don't think you'd like it it's kind of pointless, like soaps do you prefer menthol soaps ,musky ,cologne hard soad creams croaps? You like badger boar or synthetic???

3 1,356
 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
Otis375, my go to razor is the Merkur 37C slant bar. This razor is extremely efficient at slicing off the whiskers. As for my brush so far my favorite is the Vie-Long natural horse hair brush. It feels soft on the face yet still provides a good amount of backbone which is why I also enjoy boar (omega). For soaps, I like natural soaps. One of my favorites is Dr. Bryan TestOShave. I enjoy natural scents like pine and sage for example... What about you?

22 203
 07-05-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
(07-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 04:06 PM)shevek Wrote: You can say that wet shaving includes any non-electric based shaving method including carts. Traditional shaving would be brush, soap/cream, DE/SE/Straight.

Wet shaving refers to the lather made with a brush. Maybe he means using a straight?

Wet shaving means shaving with water, whether with or without a brush...

0 280
 07-05-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
Artisan made brush and razor handles seem to be on the rise. There are some great people to check out in the Artisan Corner. UFI, Triad, Oscar11, and Dougie all turn out beautiful work

1 69
 07-05-2015, 07:44 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Trend or fad? Collect a well reviewed safety bar, opencomb and slant razor and like a fencing master know the E'pe'e , Foil and Sabre.
Are Frenchmen better shaved than Germans? We love the French  soaps Phil is making available. I predict  the day will come when we look at a LPL tin like Coq Au Vin and reach again for a MWF or Klars like a fish and chips or hotdog with sauerkraut and beer. Will someone find
an unknown need and dream of fame and fortune? NOBODY save the new and uninformed seems to be buying brush holders nor are the custom artisans making them in faux Bog Oak. We saw preshaves come on the market for a need none knew. Some people like them.
There are negative trends. Products known and loved fall prey to reformulating. Sometimes it's new regulations or a bean counter pricing
Tahitian vanilla extract. Or worst of all, it may be new management who feel the need to tear everything up and put THEIR stamp on product like a coyote scent marking a fencepost. At least the coyote knows what it is doing and why. Likewise every so often somebody buys a popular product in huge quantities and sells at very attractive prices. Lovely, but it kills the competition and other dealers may drop the item as a loss leader. If the demand is met those items may not be available to a new generation of customers down the road.
The very fact men find this a hobby with large investments is perhaps a trend in of itself. But in a society that embraces the often utterly mediocre while largley ignoring the best- a Justin Beiber vs  Brian Terfel it is one trend I proudly march with.

2 3,171
 07-05-2015, 07:49 PM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 05:22 PM)Sabre Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Otis375 Wrote:

Wet shaving means shaving with water, whether with or without a brush...
That's kinda what I was getting at, but not stated in a very helpful way lol.

41 1,196
 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM
User Info
(07-04-2015, 08:17 PM)Razor_187 Wrote: Otis375, my go to razor is the Merkur 37C slant bar. This razor is extremely efficient at slicing off the whiskers. As for my brush so far my favorite is the Vie-Long natural horse hair brush. It feels soft on the face yet still provides a good amount of backbone which is why I also enjoy boar (omega). For soaps, I like natural soaps. One of my favorites is Dr. Bryan TestOShave. I enjoy natural scents like pine and sage for example... What about you?

My go to razors changes daily, sometime mid shave. I have the Merkur slants, but I prefer the r41,have a fatip, adjustable (modern and vintage), pretty much got the the razors covered from mild to wild, as far as brushes I prefer synthetics even to my Simpson duke 3 which is a fine brush. 

Soaps I don't even want to get started on Soaps,  I don't prefer a paticular brand or sent, hard or soft,  I just like soap lol.  I pretty much bought one of every sample I could get my hands on my Maggards, plus my every growing collection of regular sized Soaps.

3 1,356