07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
Hey guys, I just had the pleasure of buying a straight razor (Haddon 11/16) from Johnny. I'm trying to find a hone for touching up the edge (not resetting or heavy edge work). Also, I'm looking for a 3 inch or bigger strop. I've read about the poor man's strop but I'd like to buy something a little better quality but without breaking the bank. 

Any suggestions for a decent quality strop and hone? And I've read something about paste that you apply to the strop?

11 132
 07-04-2015, 07:41 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Straight Razor Designs has an excellent 3" English Bridle strop, and Portland Razor Co. offers a very good strop at a reasonable price. I've tried each strop, and was impressed. If all you want to do is touch up when your professionally honed razor starts to tug, the easiest thing to do is a half dozen strokes on the backside of the material strop (a linen, felt, or webbed strop that comes with the leather strop) impregnated with .5 micron chromium oxide paste or spray. If you want to learn to use a hone, a 12000 grit Naniwa specialty stone would fit the bill. I advise watching Lynn Abrams' video on touching up a razor that is starting to tug. Try to find a mentor in your area who will help you with shaving, stropping, and touching up your razor.

38 5,031
 07-04-2015, 07:42 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
I too have just recently started shaving with a straight razor. I bought a "Straight Razor Designs 3" Premium Paddle Strop" and have been very pleased with it. I just liked the idea of a paddle strop for the mobility of it. I know that I could put a hook in any room but trust me, my wife already puts enough holes in the walls for pictures and shelves. Biggrin 

I don't have a hone yet myself but I've been looking at the Naniwa Value Pack - 5000, 8000 & 12000 Grit Speciality Stones at SRD. Although I will not be honing my better straight razors until I am confident in what I'm doing so I'll be sending them off for their next honing.

Great group of guys here that have a lot of knowledge and will step in and give you some pointers.

18 260
 07-04-2015, 07:45 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
See, it's like I was reading Richards mind.  Biggrin

18 260
 07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
User Info
I was just looking at the modular strop on straight razor designs. What is the difference in the materials of the strop? For instance, linen vs. leather? Felt?

11 132
 07-05-2015, 12:17 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
From what I can understand, linen and felt help re align the edge while leather burnishes it. Normally you do some strokes on linen/felt and finish stropping on leather before every shave. Abrasives can be put on linen/felt to do touch up work. If they are treated that way they should not be used as part of the pre shave stropping routine but only when you need a touch up.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-05-2015, 04:29 AM
User Info
Linen, felt and leather can be seen as different coarseness strops.
Strops are used to align the edge, not to remove metal; burnish off a burr, yes.

They can be used with abrasives and as such can be used for sharpening, however the nature of stropping  by embracing the edge usually means you dull the edge by using an abrasive in this way. It depends on what edge you want to achieve andthe way you "strop". A hard backed stiff leather strop may work with an abrasive  for sharpening a knife edge.
You can not make an edge more acute with a loaded strop, but you can make the best of it while it is going dull by realigning it, or by using a loaded strop to keep it smooth

21 1,175
 07-05-2015, 03:49 PM
User Info
Thanks guys, I was actually able to trade my ikon 102 for a Premier Strop Co. 3" Red latigo strop and a bottle of paste. I'm excited to get started shaving with a straight.

11 132
 07-06-2015, 06:46 AM
User Info
get a rich mans strop from larry at whipped dog, great price and good quality also it has chicago screws and Larry sells replacement leather strips so if you knick it up you can just by the part instead of another strop.

79 824
 07-06-2015, 06:51 AM
User Info
Larry also has a set you can buy that comes with a piece of balsa wood with the red and green paste already applied and extra powder in bags and the rich mans strop the kit goes for $77 and the rich mans strop alon is $68.  Larry's a great guy who takes the time to educate and answer all questions.  He is one of the few who is in this business not just to make a profit (you can tell by his prices) but to support the shaving movement.

79 824