07-05-2015, 06:49 AM
User Info
I received this razor a few days ago and have used it a few times. It has been a fabulous razor. I would say it's very efficient, but not overly aggressive. The head has a DLC coating on it. It came with an OSS handle. The handle is longer than I thought it would be, but the handle is very nice. It has a nice grip on it. This is my first all stainless steel razor and for 135 dollars, it is a very good deal considering the prices of other all stainless steel razors out there. How does the ikon standard bar compare to the att h1 or att r1? Anyone on here used both the ikon sb and the att standard bar razors? can you compare both brands? thanks

0 22
 07-05-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
Personally, I found the Ikon SB to be quite an aggressive shaver and it was very close in aggression to the ATT H1. Others may have a differing view, though. 
By the way, my principal razor is the Weber DLC which is a moderately aggressive shaver.

83 21,109
 07-05-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
The Standard and Tech are basically the same. On the iKon website it's mentioned that the Tech(standard) is there most aggressive razor. That doesn't mean it's not a good shaver. I happen to really like the Tech because of its ability to shave extremely close in less passes.

121 13,207
 07-05-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 10:31 AM)slantman Wrote: The Standard and Tech are basically the same. On the iKon website it's mentioned that the Tech(standard) is there most aggressive razor. That doesn't mean it's not a good shaver. I happen to really like the Tech because of its ability to shave extremely close in less passes.

I plan on buying the shavecraft tech by itself. I am a little worried about the aluminum head. Some people were saying you could strip the threads easily on an aluminum head. That true or false? Is your shavecraft tech head made pretty good and will it last a long time you think?

0 22
 07-05-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
I believe the iKon Deluxe is just one step down fron the Standard or Tech.

2 116
 07-05-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 06:49 AM)nota33 Wrote: I received this razor a few days ago and have used it a few times. It has been a fabulous razor. I would say it's very efficient, but not overly aggressive. The head has a DLC coating on it. It came with an OSS handle. The handle is longer than I thought it would be, but the handle is very nice. It has a nice grip on it. This is my first all stainless steel razor and for 135 dollars, it is a very good deal considering the prices of other all stainless steel razors out there. How does the ikon standard bar compare to the att h1 or att r1? Anyone on here used both the ikon sb and the att standard bar razors? can you compare both brands? thanks

This may b a dumb question, but is the best way to clean off a DLC ikon head after using it is just rinsing with hot water? before when I used pot metal razors, I used magic bubbles and a old toothbrush to clean the soap scum off. I don't know if you need to do this for a DLC head.

0 22
 07-05-2015, 11:14 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 11:09 AM)nota33 Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 10:31 AM)slantman Wrote: The Standard and Tech are basically the same. On the iKon website it's mentioned that the Tech(standard) is there most aggressive razor. That doesn't mean it's not a good shaver. I happen to really like the Tech because of its ability to shave extremely close in less passes.

I plan on buying the shavecraft tech by itself. I am a little worried about the aluminum head. Some people were saying you could strip the threads easily on an aluminum head. That true or false? Is your shavecraft tech head made pretty good and will it last a long time you think?

I own several aluminum heads from Ikon and have never had a problem with the aluminum stripping away.

Now, if you handle the razor, any razor, with carelessness, well it goes without saying......

61 3,796
 07-05-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 11:14 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 11:09 AM)nota33 Wrote:

I own several aluminum heads from Ikon and have never had a problem with the aluminum stripping away.

Now, if you handle the razor, any razor, with carelessness, well it goes without saying......
I believe nota33 was concerned with stripping the threads. Aluminum is softer than SS, so I would always reverse thread for a quarter turn before tightening. JMO.

39 3,948
 07-05-2015, 11:28 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 11:19 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 11:09 AM)nota33 Wrote: I plan on buying the shavecraft tech by itself. I am a little worried about the aluminum head. Some people were saying you could strip the threads easily on an aluminum head. That true or false? Is your shavecraft tech head made pretty good and will it last a long time you think?

I believe nota33 was concerned with stripping the threads. Aluminum is softer than SS, so I would always reverse thread for a quarter turn before tightening. JMO.

That's why I will wait a bit to purchase an aluminum head. I wanted to see what a few others will say about this issue with alum. heads being soft and stripping the threads.

0 22
 07-05-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 11:19 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 11:09 AM)nota33 Wrote: I plan on buying the shavecraft tech by itself. I am a little worried about the aluminum head. Some people were saying you could strip the threads easily on an aluminum head. That true or false? Is your shavecraft tech head made pretty good and will it last a long time you think?

Ahhh, that's a different story.  I see what you mean.  No problems for me on that area either, but like they say, YMMV Wink

61 3,796
 07-05-2015, 11:47 AM
User Info
I find the standard bar to be very efficient and similar to the 37c slant or a progress on 4/5, with regards to blade feel on face. I prefer the standard to the OSS plate, next on my list to try is the slant head.

0 847
 07-10-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
I got both the DLC open comb and standard bar. I used the open comb first and loved it so much, I never bothered to try the standard bar.  Until this morning.  It is more aggressive than the open comb.  I got a BBS shave with two passes (WTG, XTG) and light touch-ups on my chin and mustache (which resulted in some minor irritation in those spots).  I might be sticking to the open comb for the comfort.

2 107
 07-10-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
Diamond like carbon is some tough stuff. It can be tricky to clean at times and even when you think it's clean it's not. I've had pretty good luck using windex to clean mine.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 08:17 AM
User Info
I use the ikon sb now. It's a great razor. I do have problems using it under my nose though. I don't like the sharp edges on the head. Anyone have a problem with this? It's still a great razor though,

0 22
 07-15-2015, 08:44 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have the DLC OC and SB. Agree with all said thus far. As to agression compared to ATT. I do not have the SB but do have all three flavors of OC.

Comparatively would put the Ikon SB in between R2 and H2. YMMV.

As to cleaning, I got away from Scrubbing Bubbles except on rare occasions. A good rinse with warm/hot water and then a wipe down on changing blades and or razors keeps all in tip top shape.

If the gunk builds up then you may need more effort but not sure how the DLC would react to SB or other cleaners.

2 1,180