07-05-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
Hi guys,
I just bought a mongoose b2 and this will be my first se razor. I currently am using a fatboy and an ikon abs as my go to razors as blades go I use feathers, Kai's, and Gillette 7O'Clock blacks. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good blade options. Also any advice for this new to me razor would be much appreciated.

79 824
 07-05-2015, 11:07 AM
User Info
Personally think a Feather Pro-Guard is the best place to start with a Mongoose.  This blade is still razor sharp, but the guard pushes the Mongoose toward a milder, forgiving shave.

I would then move on to the Feather Pros and the Kai Originals (my favorite).  FYI, some guys like them but I thought the Kai milds were awful.

Tryablade has great service and sells individual blades and sampler packs (Artist Club section on his site), but if I did it over again I wouldn't buy a sample pack, I'd just buy a couple of each of the blades I mentioned above to get you started.

You can always pick up some Kai sharps or Feather Super Pros at a later date if you find the above blades too mild (unlikely in my opinion).

The Mongoose is an easy razor to pick up and use - if you are comfortable using your fatboy on say 4 or higher, think you'll get the hang of the Mongoose quickly.

53 1,199
 07-05-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
(07-05-2015, 11:07 AM)david1201 Wrote: Personally think a Feather Pro-Guard is the best place to start with a Mongoose.  This blade is still razor sharp, but the guard pushes the Mongoose toward a milder, forgiving shave.

I would then move on to the Feather Pros and the Kai Originals (my favorite).  FYI, some guys like them but I thought the Kai milds were awful.

Tryablade has great service and sells individual blades and sampler packs (Artist Club section on his site), but if I did it over again I wouldn't buy a sample pack, I'd just buy a couple of each of the blades I mentioned above to get you started.

You can always pick up some Kai sharps or Feather Super Pros at a later date if you find the above blades too mild (unlikely in my opinion).

The Mongoose is an easy razor to pick up and use - if you are comfortable using your fatboy on say 4 or higher, think you'll get the hang of the Mongoose quickly.

I use the fat boy on a 6 or 7 depending

79 824
 07-05-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
David's answer is excellent. Abe SE blade is quite different than a DE blade so there will be a learning curve & some technique modification. Your skin/hair combo will decide which blade is best overall for you. Many love the Kai Milds yet they couldn't cut it with my coarse stubble & sensitive skin. The Feather Pros & Supers are my go-to blades. I still need to try a guarded blade to see what I think of those.

31 8,057
 07-05-2015, 02:13 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Brian, I love those proguards & prefer them over pros in my goose.

0 1,053
 07-05-2015, 02:15 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I have tried almost all the blade offerings.  To me I could not tell any difference between the guarded variants and non guarded variants.  I have not had a problem with the Kai Mild, Kai Sharp, Feather Pro or Feather Super.  I do prefer the Feather Super with the Mongoose as my work day combo of choice.  The suggestion to by a couple of each of the offerings from Tryablade is a good one.  Also, keep in mind that as you spend more time with the Mongoose you choice might change.  I know early on the Feather Super was too much for me but now with more Mongoose experience it's my preferred blade.

7 1,221
 07-05-2015, 02:59 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
I started out with the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades in my Mongoose. I tried the Feather Supers but felt like they were too aggressive after cutting myself a couple of times. Well after a couple of months I gave the Supers another try and loved them. The Supers didn't change so my technique was what was causing the problems. Now the Kai milds don't feel aggressive enough for me. If you are using a Fat Boy on 6 or 7,I think you'll be fine with the Pros or Supers.

18 260
 07-05-2015, 03:43 PM
User Info
Hi Deuce,

Mongoose is one of my favorite razor. I like the Mongoose with titanium Handle. I use Feather Professional. Do not put pressure and I bet you'll love this razor

Cheers !

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 07-05-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
You will love this Goose. I use a Kai Guard blade and love it. I usually get 10 shaves out of this blade.

Kirk

0 108
 07-07-2015, 09:22 PM
User Info
What if your everyday blade in a DE is a Feather? Would the Feather Pro or Supers be a good place to start?

46 1,102
 07-08-2015, 01:37 AM
User Info
Feather Guards a must if very sensitive skin and bump prone.  I only do a one pass WTG and I get socially acceptable shaves.  Efficient bad!   I used Pros and Supers and Kai Milds.  All were debacles until I tried the guards.

5 160
 07-08-2015, 02:13 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(07-07-2015, 09:22 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: What if your everyday blade in a DE is a Feather? Would the Feather Pro or Supers be a good place to start?

In that case I would start with the Feather Pro and then move up to the Super.

7 1,221
 07-08-2015, 03:59 AM
User Info
IMO it depends on what type of shave you like.  If you prefer a milder razor with a really sharp blade, I'd start with the Feather ProGuards.  If you are comfortable with a more aggressive razor, then the Feather Pros are a good place to start.

I personally think everyone should try the ProGuards at least once as the extra rigidity the guard provides makes for an awesome shave, its not to be missed.

(07-07-2015, 09:22 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: What if your everyday blade in a DE is a Feather? Would the Feather Pro or Supers be a good place to start?

53 1,199
 07-08-2015, 06:00 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Deuce,
The Feather Professional blades are a habit with me. I have used them for years in my Artist Club DX razor, and now they work perfectly well in my Mongoose. They might work for you, as well.

150 3,019
 07-08-2015, 06:33 AM
User Info
i went ahead and ordered a pack of each: the feather lights, pro, pro guard, and supers, along with the kai milds and the kai sharps.  Ill give them all a try and if there's one I dont care for that one of you claimed you like I will pass them along to you as a thankyou for taking time out of your day to help me out!  Thanks you all.

79 824
 07-08-2015, 06:52 AM
User Info
Deuce, I don't believe that the Feather Lights will fit on the Mongoose. You may want to see if you can modify your order before it ships.

31 8,057
 07-08-2015, 07:04 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(07-08-2015, 06:52 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Deuce, I don't believe that the Feather Lights will fit on the Mongoose. You may want to see if you can modify your order before it ships.

This is correct the Feather Lights will not fit the Mongoose.

7 1,221
 07-08-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
Feather lights are a no go in the Mongoose.

5 160
 07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
(07-08-2015, 08:13 AM)Kyle 3 Pass Wrote: Feather lights are a no go in the Mongoose.

Deuce,

+ 1 Can you replace your order !!! Good luck my friend. You'll love Mongoose  Smile

Cheers!

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 07-08-2015, 06:45 PM
User Info
(07-08-2015, 06:33 AM)Deuce428 Wrote: i went ahead and ordered a pack of each: the feather lights, pro, pro guard, and supers, along with the kai milds and the kai sharps.  Ill give them all a try and if there's one I dont care for that one of you claimed you like I will pass them along to you as a thankyou for taking time out of your day to help me out!  Thanks you all.

Let us know what works for you. I have Feather Pros and Kai Milds on hand and thus far I much prefer the Pros. In my Cobra Classic it's just the opposite.

15 771