Poll: What Kind of Timepiece Do You Carry?
None
Cellphone Digital Wristwatch Analog (wind up) Wristwatch Pocketwatch
 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I've noticed that fewer and fewer people are wearing or carrying watches anyone because their cellphones can be used instead. I'm curious about the members of this forum. What kind of timepiece do you carry?

0 396
 06-19-2012, 11:12 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I'd love a new analogue wrist-watch, but everything is so HUGE these days, or tasteless, and I have a very small frame, so large watches just make me look daft. If I had the money, I'd love a vintage Rolex Oyster from the 1950s, but that's never going to happen. So, I keep looking and hoping, but nothing has come to hand over the last year; the cellphone is a great back-up as I always have it with me.

1 290
 06-19-2012, 11:33 PM
User Info
Depends - at work I wear a cheap analog (but not wind up) watch, off work I mostly rely on my cell but when I have to dress up I always uses my grandfathers gold pocket watch - even if it keeps lousy time Biggrin

3 3,569
 06-19-2012, 11:43 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I forgot to reply to my own poll! I guess the mind is the second thing to go (don't ask what's first). Biggrin

Just sitting around the house I neither wear or carry a watch. I don't have a cellphone so that's out.

If I go out I carry either an electronic digital watch with an analog dial or a pocket watch.

Back years ago when the digital displays came out on watches I found myself looking at the watch constantly but not knowing what time it was. I finally realised I would have to take a time such as 3:15 and picture an analog dial in my mind with the hands in the proper position. THEN I had a sense of how long it was until something or how much later is was after something. Just the plain numbers weren't telling me much. I've stuck with analog dials ever since.

I love mechanical wind up watches but it's about impossible around here to find a watchmaker anymore. So if one goes bad it's disposed of because you can't find a repairman! That's sad!

0 396
 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 11:12 PM)Persius Wrote: I'd love a new analogue wrist-watch, but everything is so HUGE these days, or tasteless, and I have a very small frame, so large watches just make me look daft. If I had the money, I'd love a vintage Rolex Oyster from the 1950s, but that's never going to happen. So, I keep looking and hoping, but nothing has come to hand over the last year; the cellphone is a great back-up as I always have it with me.

You don't have to limit yourself to a Rolex - nice watch as it is. Smile

You can get a really nice looking Swiss watch or a Timex off Ebay (with a manual wind or Automatic movement) that will keep excellent time, and look great for only a few $$. They're also nicely sized.

I also have smallish wrists, and I prefer older mechanical movement watches. I have a bunch, from cheap ones to more expensive ones, and when they're adjusted properly and cleaned, they all keep excellent time.

37 1,731
 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I got this watch and have worn it since I got married in 1984. It is a Seiko "Mickey Mouse" Quartz. I chose the digital watch in you poll because it is the closest option to the watch I wear. It runs on a battery so I don't have to wind it but it looks like an analog watch which I prefer. I really like pocket watches but just have not found one that I can afford and would want to carry. Most pocket watches I find are plated or really expensive.

0 539
 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(06-20-2012, 05:32 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: You don't have to limit yourself to a Rolex - nice watch as it is. Smile

You can get a really nice looking Swiss watch or a Timex off Ebay (with a manual wind or Automatic movement) that will keep excellent time, and look great for only a few $$. They're also nicely sized.
I'll have a look ...

1 290
 06-20-2012, 07:57 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Yeah the poll is at little off. I chose analog but it runs on a battery, I imagine that a large portion of the analogs chosen will run on a battery or be kinetic.

1 111
 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a number of watches--mostly analog--that are either battery (Movado, Bulova), kinetic (Seiko), or Eco-Drive (Citizen), but I also sometimes wear a G-Shock that's digital. Depends on how I'm dressed or the occasion.

52 787
 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
(06-20-2012, 05:32 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: You can get a really nice looking Swiss watch or a Timex off Ebay (with a manual wind or Automatic movement) that will keep excellent time, and look great for only a few $$.

You have to be careful buying watches on eBay, because it is full of counterfeits.

My wife and I only have one cell phone, which she carries nearly all the time. I still wear my relatively old Seiko Sport (18 years old) or a Luminox Diver. Both keep almost perfect time.

184 12,003
 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM
User Info
I prefer einzeigers, especially Meistersinger.

0 641
 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I like my Bell @ Ross 03...huge numbers..no complications..use it to tell time easily and for weight lifting and self defense ( it is quite large and heavy)Cool

6 1,913
 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I'll be following this thread with interest. I am cursed with quite small wrists and watches just never seem to fit right, so my research into them has been limited. I'll be interested to see and look into some favorites here. An analog watch is of particular interest.

35 1,732
 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
User Info
My iPhone is my watch & a whole lot of other things too!

31 7,912
 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
Well, I don't wear a watch most times. I just don't care what time it is most times. But I do have my cell phone with me, and clocks in the vehicles.

When I do wear a watch I have one wind up (Moonwatch) that I mostly wear and a gold color (not gold) Seiko digital/analog that was given to me when I retired. I probably ought to see if the battery is still good in the Seiko.

32 6,309
 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
99.9% of the time I wear a CITIZEN Railroad Approved wrist watch (battery powered).

.1% of the time I carry (wear) a Hamilton 992B Railroad Approved pocket watch.

Yes, many years ago I worked for the BRI (Burlington Rock Island) Railroad in Tomball, Teague, Decatur, Bowie, and Ft. Worth, TX.

173 23,519
 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
(06-19-2012, 11:12 PM)Persius Wrote: I'd love a new analogue wrist-watch, but everything is so HUGE these days, or tasteless, and I have a very small frame, so large watches just make me look daft. If I had the money, I'd love a vintage Rolex Oyster from the 1950s, but that's never going to happen. So, I keep looking and hoping, but nothing has come to hand over the last year; the cellphone is a great back-up as I always have it with me.
I wear a couple of older Rolex's one from the 50's and another from the 70's. You are absolutely right about the size of these watches just looking right on the wrist. I was sitting in church last week and noticed a gentleman whom I've known for some time sitting close to me. He is a rather small framed and somewhat conservative man. I saw the watch on his wrist and the band looked like a motorcycle chain, it was BIG. It definitely did fit his build, attire or to the best of my knowledge lifestyle. It just didn't seem to suit him very well, then again there is no accounting for taste. Watches have certainly gotten bigger.

0 145
 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
Uncle Dave, you may want to check this thread that was started a while back:
http://shavenook.com/thread-what-s-on-yo...ht=watches

75 20,883
 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
My iPhone and this:
[Image: 5a74c617.jpg]

9 408
 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-19-2012, 10:44 PM)uncledave Wrote: What kind of timepiece do you carry?

Wristwatch (see here) and mobile phone...

23 1,872