07-06-2015, 11:06 AM
User Info
If you guys own or have owned swimming pools what is a good strong shocker or algaecide.  I'm losing g the war on algae as of a few weeks ago and my shocker and algaecide just arent effective.  So far I've just used the Clorox brand found at Walmart and the algaecide in the green bottle. It's not working.... What do you use, or recommend.  Thanks in advance

I'm also vacuuming the pool it's been daily to be honest and scrubbing the walls as well, checking the filters etc.  I get the bulk of it out with the vacuum, but it stirs a lot of it up, so fine that the filter won't trap it and the pump just recirculates the algae and it settles again.  The pool is not full on covered in algae I have maybe a 2to 3 foot diameter spot in the deep end and one in the shallow end

3 1,356
 07-07-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
I have three comments: 

1. Sounds to me like the real problem you have is the filter. The silica can be easily replaced and with that most of your problems will go away. 
2. IME the best algaecides are (in order of relevance): pH regulation, appropriate chlorine level, vacuuming (don't forget to rinse the silica) and algaecide once a week (now using Super Algi-Gone from Robarb). 
3. IMHO improving your pool conditions is better done with patience (1-2 weeks) than by using harsh chemicals that seem to do the trick but in the long run it might not be the case, not to mention (well I am about to, right?...) damages on your equipment. 

This website has good info. 

Good luck.

8 1,065
 08-04-2015, 05:22 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Also get a floatron or some equivalent copper/silver ion generator ,mine has cut back on the use of chlorine this year..Only had algae problem when i didn't add chlorine for a week or so and an overnight shock took care of that.

0 275
 08-04-2015, 05:46 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I control my algae with Shawn. He comes once a week and works great Smile

Kidding aside, I have a Delta UV hooked inline that really reduces the chlorine required as well but would be a plumb job if you don't already have something similar. Does really help a lot though for down the road.

If you are still struggling, take a water sample to your local pool supply store [Leslie's etc.]. They will test the sample and tell you exactly what you need, how much and how often.

2 1,180
 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
I finally got it crystal clear and good to go about 2 weeks ago give or take. Went to a pool store and got some stuff(didn't bother looking at the name ),I told the guy my issue and he went and got a bottle and said use the whole bottle. I said OK got home poured it in the pool(the stuff was around 50 bucks) then I read the label... The label said to add a quarter of the bottle and I dumped the whole bottle in the pool per instructions from pool guy. It cleared the algae up so I'm complaining too bad. Now if they just made a pool chemical that keeps annoying family members out of it I'd be good to go.

3 1,356
 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(08-05-2015, 11:09 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Now if they just made a pool chemical that keeps annoying family members out of it I'd be good to go.

Let me know if you find it- we will buy in bulk Wink

Glad that you got it fixed up- enjoy!

2 1,180
 08-11-2015, 10:23 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-05-2015, 11:09 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Now if they just made a pool chemical that keeps annoying family members out of it I'd be good to go.

In casual conversation, tell them you've peed in the pool. That will be the last time they come over.

72 1,225
 08-11-2015, 10:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
As to your pool problem, maintence is the best solution. Now that its clear, shock it once a week or maybe two weeks and get your water tested beweekly. This will keep algae from growing back. Also during the summer months, here in AZ, we run our pool pumps 1 hour for every 10 degrees of heat. I am currently running the pump every night for 10 hours. Every two weeks I can see the water is not as clear (no green) and I shock it. If I shock it every 10 days, the water staying crystal clear.

72 1,225
 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 10:23 AM)Gabe Wrote:

In casual conversation, tell them you've peed in the pool. That will be the last time they come over.

Urine has no effect on annoying family members. I'm considering acid,but some of my genius family would probably stay in until the skin began to melt.. 

Nothing like waking up to seeing your 70 something year old Dad with a freshly shaved chest and belly in some European bathing suit that he and I both know if he moves wrong somethings coming out sippin' on some pinkish orangish looking drink. Singing off key to Bob Segers greatest hits. I didn't kill the algae, they did when they saw his bathing suit. I'll be more than happy to post pics  Biggrin

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I am afraid that is something that can't be unseen... my mind's eye is already struggling and I know that if you did post pics, much like a car wreck, I wouldn't be able to turn away.

Please don't Smile

2 1,180
 08-11-2015, 11:12 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-11-2015, 11:07 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 10:23 AM)Gabe Wrote:

Urine has no effect on annoying family members. I'm considering acid,but some of my genius family would probably stay in until the skin began to melt.. 

Nothing like waking up to seeing your 70 something year old Dad with a freshly shaved chest and belly in some European bathing suit that he and I both know if he moves wrong somethings coming out sippin' on some pinkish orangish looking drink. Singing off key to Bob Segers greatest hits. I didn't kill the algae, they did when they saw his bathing suit. I'll be more than happy to post pics  Biggrin
No thank you. The visual is enough.

72 1,225
 08-11-2015, 11:12 AM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 11:10 AM)kwsher Wrote: I am afraid that is something that can't be unseen... my mind's eye is already struggling and I know that if you did post pics, much like a car wreck, I wouldn't be able to turn away.

Please don't Smile

I threw a mask and snorkle out the back door and said at least skim and vaccum... At least before he was in the pool... So glad we have a privacy fence...on the upside he's cleaning the pool.

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 11:24 AM
User Info
+2 my nephew is living with me at the moment. He and some friends pulled up earlier to go swimming . They get out ofnthe jeep in their trunks towels over their shoulders,brought a couple of little girls over here. They came through the house ,opened the back door, see my parents and my dad's attire and decide to go to the public pool down the street. Smile I may buy the old man a tent and let him live out there...

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
At least take him a glass of lemonade.

72 1,225
 08-11-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
You need to shock the shit out of your pool. And the best shock is actually bleach. Yup, plain old liquid chlorine, aka bleach.

You need to use the right amount and hold it there until the combined chlorine levels go down to zero. That means the chlorine isn't eating any organisms. And you probably need to be running that pool pump 24/7.

So, for about a week, you'll be dumping a lot of bleach into that pool, and testing the levels. Don't use a dip stick, use a FAS-DPD titration kit.

For more info, visit troublefreepool.com (I think). It's where I got everything. Start with pool math.

9 3,025
 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
(08-11-2015, 12:49 PM)wetshavingproducts Wrote: You need to shock the shit out of your pool. And the best shock is actually bleach. Yup, plain old liquid chlorine, aka bleach.

You need to use the right amount and hold it there until the combined chlorine levels go down to zero. That means the chlorine isn't eating any organisms. And you probably need to be running that pool pump 24/7.

So, for about a week, you'll be dumping a lot of bleach into that pool, and testing the levels. Don't use a dip stick, use a FAS-DPD titration kit.

For more info, visit troublefreepool.com (I think). It's where I got everything. Start with pool math.

I pumped it for awhile... Actually forgot the pump was on and it ran and ran and ran. It's cleared up now but lives have been threatened if anyone enters my pool after they have entered a river.(not sure if that's a myth or not but still). People just don't realize how much upkeep a pool is,(thats why the old man's nakedness is tolerated he's a neat freak.) He's actually mentioned dive gear and brushes a few times  Wink .

3 1,356
 08-11-2015, 03:12 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I would say the whole river thing is a myth. When you shock your pool to get rid of the algae, where does the algae go? It gets killed by the shock right? In that same manner I would assume any algae from the river would get killed off by the chlorine thats in your pool when that person enters the water.  The biggest algae problems are high heat and low chlorine levels. During the winter months I don't shock the pol at all. A tablet every now and then, but the water is virtually chlorine free. I do agree that it is alot of maintence during the summer months. How many hours are you running your pump?

72 1,225
 08-26-2015, 09:05 PM
User Info
A lot of people here in Alabama have converted over to the salt water system. Costs about $1200 to convert but you don't have to buy near as many chemicals and they aren't as harsh.

1 52
 08-27-2015, 12:21 PM
User Info
As for shocking the pool, I use the powdered shock.  Whatever the recommended amount, DOUBLE IT.   That will kill off the chloramines, and allow the chlorine to work again.   Here in NY, we always have a pool problem around the middle of August:  the super-shock treatment works every time.

No solution for the problem of uninvited guests.   

Stanley

2 155