07-06-2015, 02:59 PM
User Info
I needed an aggressive razor to handle my thick beard for those times when I don't shave for a few days. After reading reviews on various razors I decided to purchase the Muhle R41. Since starting DE shaving I have been using a Edwin Jagger DE 89LBL with a Maggard Razors MR8 handle. This has been a very good razor and I will continue to use it often but when I don't have time to do 3 or 4 passes, or when I have multiple days growth, the R41 will be my go to. I have only shaved with the R41 once because I just received it, however I will try it again tonight and tomorrow night to see how forgiving it is for every day use. Last night I had 4 days of growth which was a good test for the R41's aggressiveness. My first pass was impressive to say the least, and almost left me with a BBS. I did one more pass along the grain just as the first one and had a BBS. I normally do a second pass against the grain and a third pass along like the first, but wasn't necessary last night, plus I didn't want to go against the grain on the first use. I am 100% satisfied with the R41 and look forward to using it tonight. I did cut myself twice last night but I think once I get used  to it that won't be common. I wrote this review in case there is anyone on the fence about getting the R41, in which case I strongly recommend trying it.

13 947
 07-06-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
It's a good razor, mine has never cut me. I do a 2 pass with the r41 one WTG one XTG.

3 1,356
 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Agree- there is a reason the R41 gets so many accolades. Solid razor and one that I regularly break out as it always delivers. I do typically use mine with a Weber Bulldog handle which I also think makes a big difference in performance (even better).

Good luck!

2 1,180
 07-07-2015, 01:43 AM
User Info
I have a very thick beard with very sensitive skin.  The R41, along with DE blade flex, caused me some of the worst shaves of my life (weepers and ingrown hairs due to closer shave).  I only do WTG too.  Never XTG or ATG, so it just wasn't the razor for me.  

Everyone is different, so I'm glad it works well for you.

5 160
 07-07-2015, 03:08 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, the Muhle R41 gives one of the closest longest lasting shaves of any DEs that I have used. I normally do 3 - 4 passes and work slowly. However, I find myself reaching for my Merkur Slant more often as it gives almost as close and long lasting a shave as the Muhle R41 but is far more enjoyable/relaxing to use on a daily basis.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-07-2015, 09:21 AM
User Info
You might also want to contemplate the new Ikon Shavecraft Tech razor head as I find it as aggressive as the R41, but much smoother. Nonetheless, it is still too much for my sensitive skin. Blush

82 21,056
 07-07-2015, 09:46 AM
User Info
(07-07-2015, 09:21 AM)celestino Wrote: You might also want to contemplate the new Ikon Shavecraft Tech razor head as I find it as aggressive as the R41, but much smoother. Nonetheless, it is still too much for my sensitive skin. Blush

Shave craft tech is an animal, but a fine razor. Never thought I'd say this but I'm a believer now, If the r41 fails go to a single edge, thank me later...

3 1,356