07-06-2015, 10:05 PM
User Info
I'm trying to decide if I should get a Hanging strop only or both in case I prefer one over the other.. 

I have already decided that my Hanging Strop will be the SRD Natural. I am debating whether or not I should add a Latigo Replacement Leather or get the Paddle Strop. 

What would you guys advise or do if it were you? 

Thanks!

46 1,102
 07-06-2015, 10:18 PM
User Info
For razors I would go with a hanging strop and be done with it, unless you are looking at the paddle strops that you turn the handle and adjust the tension.

I have both, IMHO it would be easier for Me to mess up my edge with a paddle strop than a hanging just because the little bit of slack you get with the hanging even if you have it pulled tight. The wood backing on the paddle strop is more likely to ruin your edge faster if you make a mistake.

I also find the hanging strop easier to control and keep my angle with. YMMV if you looked a t a custom or more expensive with thick enough leather to cushion the edge a bit from the wood then that's different.

I also have a few straps I've made myself, if you get your hanging strop and prefer a paddle just cut your strop, get some wood, make yourself a paddle, or other wood backing, a little glue and you have a paddle strop. (I've made about 8 strops for different compounds and diamond emulsions)

3 1,356
 07-06-2015, 10:41 PM
User Info
Thank you Otis. That was very informative. I see your points with the paddle being more of a threat to the edge and it's something I never even thought about.

46 1,102
 07-10-2015, 05:33 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
If you had both, you'd end up using the hanging strop 99% of the time. Of the SRD strops, the English Bridle strop is about as good as it gets.

38 5,034
 07-10-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 05:33 AM)evnpar Wrote: If you had both, you'd end up using the hanging strop 99% of the time. Of the SRD strops, the English Bridle strop is about as good as it gets.

English Bridle Strop was my first choice. But I am finding way to many nice strops out there now at very reasonable prices, so I am reconsidering and will most likely go with a different strop. I almost purchased the plain vanilla strop from TM last night, but I have sent tony a couple questions without any response so until I get some answers to some questions, I will pass on a TM strop. Kanoyama #3 is what I am leaning towards and their customer service and response time is quite impressive. Takeshi is the guy I was speaking with and he was extremely helpful. I still want a cheaper strop to learn on before I put a blade to a Kanoyama strop. That's where TM or SRD come in. Still great strops from what I am reading but there are others I would rather have. I have also decided against a Paddle. Thank you guys for the help!

46 1,102
 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
User Info
Ellas318:
Much good advice already coming your way.  I have a paddle from SRD and it never sees use anymore, I prefer hanging strops with genuine flax linen second components.

It sounds like you are considering your first quality strop, and you are, IMHO, looking at some very nice strops.
I have used the TM strop and it's very nice, if you choose this strop I would suggest the flax linen second.

Another very nice strop is the Kanayama #3, I had this strop for some time and it now resides in a friends den. I opted to replace it with a Kanayama 40,000 so that the second component is Hemp canvas instead of the suede component that comes on the #3.

Other great strops that I currently have and use include a Neil Miller Horween shell, and a custom Scrupleworks Horween oil tanned horse butt, both with genuine flax linen second components.

If you are relatively new to stropping a less expensive hanging strop is recommended as some damage to your strop MAY be incurred in your learning curve.

There are many excellent strops to choose from, draw and second components being the main differences.

If I had it to do over again I would have practiced longer on my starter strop and patiently tried other strops first before purchasing what I did, as this would have saved me some time money experimenting on strops that ended up being not quite what I wanted.

Get to a meet-up and try different strops to see what you may like first, as you will be using this tool every time you shave, and if you start honing your needs may expand beyond just edge maintenance, so choose wisely.

4 41
 07-10-2015, 02:13 PM
User Info
Hi Frank, Thanks for all that info!! I would love to try a TM strop with Linen, but there are only a couple choices at the moment from TM. If I were to get one of his, it'll definitely be my practice strop. I think it would make a great practice strop since it's made of quality and only $45 plus shipping. 

And thank you for reminding me of Neil Miller. I came across the name through some research but it fled my mind. I am going to have to resort back to the drawing board and do a little more research, which will include NM and Scrupleworks.  

If I had the experience I would love to own a 40,000 Kanoyama strop. The Hemp Canvas must be real nice!

Thanks again Frank for this wealth of information!

46 1,102
 07-10-2015, 02:35 PM
User Info
So I have just done a little research on Neil Miller, and these are some jaw dropping strops to say the least! His strops are absolutely the most beautiful I have come across! The Scrupleworks are extremely nice to. It's to bad they are out of stock or not taking orders until August. I will need to get my hands on one of each in the very near future. Thanks again Frank for opening my eyes to these awesome Artisan Strops.

46 1,102
 07-10-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
Ellas318:

Unfortunately Neil miller just passed the day before yesterday. we as a community have lost a great member, artisan and historian.

I will think of him every time I use the wonderful strop that he made.

4 41
 07-10-2015, 03:21 PM
User Info
Oh wow, I did not know that. Very sorry to hear about this.

Edit: Just saw the thread about it.

46 1,102
 08-02-2015, 06:55 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I may be swimming against the current here but I really enjoy my paddle strop for many different reasons.

It is a modular paddle and different pads can be put on it depending on what I feel like stropping on and if I want to mess with pastes and what not. Not to mention I nicked my first leather which was easy enough to swap out, took two seconds.

It travels easily, which is very nice as its kind of hard to pack a big daddy strop into your bag without ruining it.

If you do a lot of honing it's easy to strop sitting down or whatever.

Don't get me wrong my big daddy strop from star shaving is awesome, it was my first real strop and has been nicked to high heaven. It is still usable but not pristine by any means. I love hanging strops but for me and my lifestyle a paddle strop really meshes with what I do.

Very good points for either strop. The hanging strop is easier to learn I find and it has such an awesome feeling while doing it but the paddle has its uses, you've just got to be careful as its been stated it has a hard backing.

It comes down to choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 227
 08-02-2015, 07:09 AM
User Info
Everyone has their own comfort zone when it comes to strops. Some like paddle strops, but I didn't prefer them to my hanging strops. 

Even among hanging strops there are minor variations - handles, D-rings, barber's ends, length, width, etc. (Not to mention leather type).

37 1,743
 08-19-2015, 04:36 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Oh boy... This is a tough one for me.

At current I have three hanging strops, two paddles and one adjustable loom strop. I use all of them.

The paddle and look are all small so they are very portable. The adjustable loom strop (a Tensio, to which I retro fitted a Norwegian Bridle component) is my morning strop as I can take it anywhere.

For post shave stropping I always reach for one of the Scrupleworks hanging strops.

If had to choose just one, it would have to be the hanger but fortunately I don't have to choose.

Can't say I have ever ruined an edge on the paddle or even been vulnerable to it. In fact I find I have a much lighter touch on the paddle.

Sent from East of Montauk

33 914
 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
Can't go wrong with a Tony Miller strop. Great quality and darn good hanging strop. Plus, he's a great guy to deal with.

24 698
 08-21-2015, 04:32 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(08-20-2015, 04:20 PM)llalm Wrote: Can't go wrong with a Tony Miller strop. Great quality and darn good hanging strop. Plus, he's a great guy to deal with.

I agree..  One of my hanging strops is a TM Heirloom Horsehide..  super smooth draw, nice construction, sweet linen component and modular should you wish to swap out or replace part of it.

33 914