07-08-2015, 03:36 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I am curious to know if anyone has experience with these limited offerings from Muhle? The handles are certainly beautiful, but considering the high price, I wonder if the knot is also a special offering? Or is the knot similar to their other Silvertip offerings? The dimensions given for the knot are 22mm x 60mm. From the photos, I'd suspect it is their standard Silvertip hair, extra stuffed into a 22mm knot resulting in a super-dense brush that has a very large bloom.

[Image: Muhle%252520Edition%2525201.jpg]

[Image: Muhle%252520Edition%2525202.jpg]

43 1,698
 07-08-2015, 05:32 AM
User Info
The knots are ok, but nothing high end IMHO

Quite floppy....

24 5,845
 07-08-2015, 04:53 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for the input Claus.

Andrew

43 1,698
 07-09-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
I plan to visit the factory next week and try to see one in the flesh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 655
 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Kent ran an edition with opaque acrylic handles that resemble this shape. This handle shape is surprising easy to work with. I do agree that the knot is likely very floppy.

12 607
 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
Is the top brush carbon fiber?

3 1,356
 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
It's such a shame about the knot dimensions. The handle of the carbon fibre one is wow.

7 1,182
 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 12:04 PM)Dipesh Wrote: It's such a shame about the knot dimensions. The handle of the carbon fibre one is wow.

The handles are sweet, but you can pretty much see from the pictures that they are probably floppy. Looking at the knot diameter in reference to the widest diameter of the bloomed bulb, it doesn't look very sturdy.

0 122
 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
I own the carbon handled dark brown/black Fusion of this. Most expensive razor I ever bought, 1.5 times a Pils & Feather AS D2. The carbon material is unique in look & feel, but IMHO overpriced.

24 5,845
 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
The description on the handles were exquisite from what I remember reading. The layers of carbon fiber or the layered Chinese lacquered handle (recalling from memory) and even the presentation boxes they used were over the top, too bad the knots selected for these handles were so floppy.

Claus, Are the handles very solid/heavy feeling? Would you consider re-knotting them with all the options available to us now... even going as far as asking Muhle to do it maybe?

35 1,329
 07-09-2015, 02:35 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 02:13 PM)refles Wrote: The description on the handles were exquisite from what I remember reading. The layers of carbon fiber or the layered Chinese lacquered handle (recalling from memory) and even the presentation boxes they used were over the top, too bad the knots selected for these handles were so floppy.

Claus, Are the handles very solid/heavy feeling? Would you consider re-knotting them with all the options available to us now... even going as far as asking Muhle to do it maybe?

Agreed.

My Carbon Fusion handle came in a very sturdy exquisite looking huge white box.
I came down to the post office to collect it, and the girl at the post office asked me how large the parcel she should look was, and I told her it was a razor, so perhaps the size of a pound of coffee beans.

The box she came with was so big I though they had send me the razor along with 4 soaps, 4 after shaves and 4 full bottle fragrances.

My girl friend now uses the Mühle presentation box for her watches and jewelry - it's that nice looking, and did I say HEAVY Smile

[Image: 44632.jpg]

24 5,845
 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'd have to try the brush before writing it off as floppy. The photos show a large bloom, as I'd expect from a 22mm densely stuffed knot set at 60mm. But I don't think I could tell if it's floppy based on the photo. My VP Leonhardy's have a similar large bloom and tall loft, and I don't find them floppy at all.

Andrew

43 1,698
 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(07-09-2015, 02:35 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 02:13 PM)refles Wrote: The description on the handles were exquisite from what I remember reading. The layers of carbon fiber or the layered Chinese lacquered handle (recalling from memory) and even the presentation boxes they used were over the top, too bad the knots selected for these handles were so floppy.

Agreed.

My Carbon Fusion handle came in a very sturdy exquisite looking huge white box.
I came down to the post office to collect it, and the girl at the post office asked me how large the parcel she should look was, and I told her it was a razor, so perhaps the size of a pound of coffee beans.

The box she came with was so big I though they had send me the razor along with 4 soaps, 4 after shaves and 4 full bottle fragrances.

My girl friend now uses the Mühle presentation box for her watches and jewelry - it's that nice looking, and did I say HEAVY Smile

[Image: 44632.jpg]

Didn't know there was a drawer under the main compartment, very nice indeed! Didn't know there was a matching razor as well, incredible that each piece had its own box. But its satisfying to know that with a product of this caliber nothing was left half thought out that its a fully thought out from product to packaging! 
If I had gotten one, I think I would have possibly used it for my few nice watches as I think my watch winders look cool but take too much time to take it out of the holders Smile 

(07-09-2015, 03:10 PM)Andrew Wrote: I'd have to try the brush before writing it off as floppy. The photos show a large bloom, as I'd expect from a 22mm densely stuffed knot set at 60mm. But I don't think I could tell if it's floppy based on the photo. My VP Leonhardy's have a similar large bloom and tall loft, and I don't find them floppy at all.

Andrew

True enough Andrew, your right, we shouldn't just throw that branding so carelessly, I think it comes from the generalization here that seems to get most of the discussion time of the low lofted 2 band to maximize the backbone.  You've described the VP Leonhardy quite the backbone for having such large lofts. 
I've been thinking of having 1 (famous last words) nice 3 band silvertip and been comparing reviews on a Shavemac D01 3 band and some VP Leonhardy's, the lofts just scare me but trust the reviews you and the others have put out there on its quality and performance. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but probably in the immediate future.

35 1,329
 07-09-2015, 04:18 PM
User Info
Claus, what's with the ladybug/ladybird? Did it come along with the razor and why? For good luck?  Biggrin

82 21,056
 07-09-2015, 06:55 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 04:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Claus, what's with the ladybug/ladybird? Did it come along with the razor and why? For good luck?  Biggrin

I am curious too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 07-09-2015, 06:57 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think that ladybug is featured in a particular vendor's photos.

Andrew

43 1,698
 07-10-2015, 01:26 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
It does look like the knot is the same hair as my Muhle Retro. The shape of the knot is similar too with a big bloom. The dense knot on the Retro is 27mm with a loft of 56mm so not really too floppy and just a bit of a lather hog. The Retro knot has a touch of scritch/scratch when face lathering.

In looking at the knot dimensions of those LEs I would suspect it to be floppy due to the high loft to knot size ratio.

Bob

0 1,694
 07-10-2015, 01:40 AM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 01:26 AM)BobH Wrote: It does look like the knot is the same hair as my Muhle Retro. The shape of the knot is similar too with a big bloom. The dense knot on the Retro is 27mm with a loft of 56mm so not really too floppy and just a bit of a lather hog. The Retro knot has a touch of scritch/scratch when face lathering.

In looking at the knot dimensions of those LEs I would suspect it to be floppy due to the high loft to knot size ratio.

Bob

Yes, I was generalizing in my first post on this thread, but the loft/knot ratio of the LE's, does allow for, at least, a suspected "floppy" identifier. I bet a photo of your Muhle Retro at 27/56 would show a hair bundle that looks very different than the LE's pictured above. I agree, pictures don't tell the whole story, but they do hold a lot a sway in a court of law.

0 122
 07-10-2015, 04:20 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(07-10-2015, 01:40 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 01:26 AM)BobH Wrote: It does look like the knot is the same hair as my Muhle Retro. The shape of the knot is similar too with a big bloom. The dense knot on the Retro is 27mm with a loft of 56mm so not really too floppy and just a bit of a lather hog. The Retro knot has a touch of scritch/scratch when face lathering.

Bob

Yes, I was generalizing in my first post on this thread, but the loft/knot ratio of the LE's, does allow for, at least, a suspected "floppy" identifier. I bet a photo of your Muhle Retro at 27/56 would show a hair bundle that looks very different than the LE's pictured above. I agree, pictures don't tell the whole story, but they do hold a lot a sway in a court of law.

I still think the knot shape and hair look similar but could not say about the density of the LEs.

Bob

[Image: Retro_zpsbziz5s9k.jpg]

0 1,694
 07-10-2015, 05:31 AM
User Info
Quote:I still think the knot shape and hair look similar but could not say about the density of the LEs.

That looks like an old-school Muhle from waaaaaay back in the day. Very cool handle. If I had to make a preliminary assessment on which brush would have more backbone and be less floppy....... You already know the answer. That being said, I am a true believer in "ya gatta buy it and try it" to truly know.

0 122