07-09-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
I think I have owned 20+ synthetics now.
5 of them have been Plissons. Not L'Occitane, but Plissons bought at Plisson.

I got my new travel brush - a pearly grey Plisson synthetic.
Have owned this before. Extremely nice pearly great finished handle.

But I still don't get it
Used it for today's shave with a superlather mix of Proraso Green and MDC Original.
A favourite mix of mine in hotter weather.

I face lather 100000 times of 100000
Do I wet the bristles before loading in the MDC glass jar ?

I have previously over-wetten my synthetics, because I'm a badger user, but synthetics drops the water because it can't hold water.

This is just one thing I don't understand with synthetics. How do I wet shave with a dry brush ?

I know I know, you add water drop by drop to the top bristles of a synthetic.
Problem is that it takes me longer to build lather with a Plisson Synthetic than with any of my 50+ badgers, mainly because I can't get the water level right with a synthetic.

Either it's dry or water spills down my neck and hand

I also can't get it to splat nicely. I feel like using a Semogue 830 with the Plisson Synthetic. Until I press it to open the knot, then it lacks feel totally.

Can Plisson Synthetic face latherers please chime in and help me ?

I need a step by step guide

I always get lather at the end, but just an unsatisfying experience from it

24 5,842
 07-09-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
The way I do it is:

- Dip the whole knot in water
- take out and shake, most of the water will be out of it but the tips will still be clumped.
- dip the tips and then load the brush on the soap
- when loading of you feel there isn't enough on the brush or its drying out, dip the tips again lightly.
- once loaded, face lather away. I usually dip the tips one final time a bit more than when loading before the brush hits my face.

This technique keeps the breach of the brush dry so no water runs off. Works well for me.

7 1,182
 07-09-2015, 12:43 PM
User Info
Funny, I have the opposite problem with badgers, especially silver-tips, where I leave them too dry. This results in nothing but a paste that dries out. I do the same thing as Dipesh. I get face lathering done quicker with a  synthetic because I don't have to waste time soaking.

CHSeifert, they say the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If after 20 synthetics, and many tips given to you in other threads, you still can't figure them out, I suggest you just move on. If you only have good luck with badgers that cost hundreds of dollars that is just fine-- keep doing what works for you and makes you happy.

18 713
 07-09-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 12:43 PM)fram773 Wrote: Funny, I have the opposite problem with badgers, especially silver-tips, where I leave them too dry. This results in nothing but a paste that dries out. I do the same thing as Dipesh. I get face lathering done quicker with a  synthetic because I don't have to waste time soaking.

CHSeifert, they say the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If after 20 synthetics, and many tips given to you in other threads, you still can't figure them out, I suggest you just move on. If you only have good luck with badgers that cost hundreds of dollars that is just fine-- keep doing what works for you and makes you happy.

Same here, I am much faster with Synthetics. Smile
Dipesh, well described

21 1,175
 07-09-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 12:36 PM)Dipesh Wrote: The way I do it is:

- take out and shake, most of the water will be out of it but the tips will still be clumped.
- when loading of you feel there isn't enough on the brush or its drying out, dip the tips again lightly.
- once loaded, face lather away. I usually dip the tips one final time a bit more than when loading before the brush hits my face.

This technique keeps the breach of the brush dry so no water runs off. Works well for me.

This exactly describes how I lather my synthetic Plisson.

9 202
 07-09-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 12:43 PM)fram773 Wrote: Funny, I have the opposite problem with badgers, especially silver-tips, where I leave them too dry. This results in nothing but a paste that dries out. I do the same thing as Dipesh. I get face lathering done quicker with a  synthetic because I don't have to waste time soaking.

I actually also quite enjoy my little Semogue 620, which costs under $20  Wink

24 5,842
 07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info

Thanks a lot Dipesh  Thumbup

Will try this for tomorrows shave and report back.....

24 5,842
 07-09-2015, 01:36 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I put some water on top the soap for a few minutes, then load with a dry brush. Then I wet my face and face lather, adding drops of water as needed. This works will my synthetics and badgers. I haven't used boars extensively.

2 447
 07-09-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 01:23 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I actually also quite enjoy my little Semogue 620, which costs under $20  Wink
+1

39 3,876
 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
I have found that I completely submerge the knot-then pull out not soaked.
Then three (3) shakes/throws into the sink. Removes enough water. 
Then load the brush as usual.

Works everytime whether face or bowl lathering.

2 150
 07-09-2015, 03:53 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I load the brush the similarly to what the others have said. Even if you get the loading down you will still get that nothing feeling when you get it to splay as it is the characteristic people who like the Plisson want. Often described as lathering with a cloud. To get a better feeling on my face I prefer short lofted synthetics like the Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic. A loft to knot size ratio of around 2 to 1 or slightly less works for me.

Bob

Almost forgot to mention I bought my Plisson labelled brush at a loccitaine outlet so I don't think there is a deference between one labelled loccitaine and one labelled Plisson.

0 1,694
 07-10-2015, 04:32 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
C, I don't have a Plisson but do have a TGC with same knot. I follow a similar approach to that already presented but honestly, I don't have to adapt my style much to get a good face lather without making a mess of things. I won't cover the techniques already listed as it would be redundant but the one thing I do that is not mentioned: if the brush is wet and apt to drip water/lather I lather on the lower chin/neck then move to the face.

Seems obvious but it lets the water settle in the knot, dries the tips and when you subsequently move back to the face you are good to go. Just regulate the water "flow", which is a bit different than a natural brush.

Not sure if that makes sense but hope helpful.

2 1,180
 07-10-2015, 04:56 AM
User Info
Dry load. I have 2-3 videos showing & describing the technique on my YouTube channel. 

Simply keep brush completely dry. 
Let warm water sit on top of your soap for a few minutes. Longer for harder soaps. 
Dump the water off mostly & then start loading the brush. 

Once you get a better feel for the performance characteristics then you can leave a little water on the soap as you start to load with the dry knot. 

Once loaded you can even shake the brush to get out any "loose" water so that it won't run down you face & neck as you start to lather.

31 8,055
 07-10-2015, 06:07 AM
User Info

I just got my Plisson last week and above post is what I do too. Also, if I don't dip the tips in water right before hitting my face then I can't get it to splay.

13 947
 07-10-2015, 06:16 AM
User Info
(07-09-2015, 03:53 PM)BobH Wrote: Bob

Almost forgot to mention I bought my Plisson labelled brush at a loccitaine outlet so I don't think there is a deference between one labelled loccitaine and one labelled Plisson.

There is no difference in the knot. On the Plisson site there is only one synthetic knot, a size 12 fiber. The handes range in price from $30  to over $200 but the knot is the same.

13 947
 07-10-2015, 06:29 AM
User Info
The Plisson is a weird brush for sure.  It splays out easily but can spring back into place.  The tips feel very soft but when face lathering there's a tiny bit of irritation.

For me, it makes lather as well or better than most brushes and it does so quicker.  I believe this is because it mixes the product and water quickly and completely without holding too much water deep in the knot.

My technique is to wet the brush and shake out excess water.  I like just a bit of moisture in the tips to help load up soap.  I will swirl around on the soap until the tips look saturated, then usually wet them again slightly and repeat to pick up more.

Then I go up to the face, push down on the brush to splay it out a bit, and start working in circular motions.  The lather will start to build immediately.  Once I've mixed it, I will usually wet the tips slightly if I need to add more water to the mix.  

Question for you, when lathering with a badger, how much water do you leave in the brush before you load up the product?  Do you apply any pressure while lathering or just dust the tips against the face?

5 229
 07-10-2015, 06:42 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Claus....you have at least 50 other brushes that work for you. You have given your best to try and master synthetics. I think it's time to abandon ship. Shaving is supposed to be fun. Like you, I tried multiple synthetics and just couldn't get along with them.

To me, synthetic brushes are like fake tits. While others may enjoy them, they are just not for me. Might look good but feels totally unnatural. I'm thinking you might be a natural guy too! Wink

159 1,316
 07-10-2015, 06:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I can only post the video I made using this brush.Its impossible not to make lather with that brush right away.Im using a Plisson L'Occitane (I have 5) and never had a problem with any of them.

88 7,214
 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM
User Info
Doug Korn, brush maker extraordinaire, sent me an older post on brushes... one trick is to turn the soap upside down and push the brush up into the soap. Quite a brilliant idea.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=296

36 886
 07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
But , my friend , now that Im thinking : you dont really enjoy or like the synthetic brushes , so my recommendation , get a nice badger travel brush and forget the synthetics.You are a badger lover , why bother with synthetics , then ?

88 7,214