06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
Mark (Mantic59) is presenting a series of articles on synthetic brushes. This will be a multi-part series.

Check it out on:

http://sharpologist.com/

1 2,827
 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
Thank you, sir.

21 1,472
 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
That's an excellent article. I will follow it as it develops. It's got me wanting to get one of those brushes already. Biggrin

0 396
 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM
User Info
They are wonderful brushes. The H.I.S. is wonderful and cheap. A large soft brush with spine. I got mine from Amazon, but don't see them any more. Hopefully, Gary, will see this and tell you were to buy one, if interested.

Here's a link to Gary's review at theshaveden:

http://shavenook.com/thread-h-i-s-synthetic-brush

21 1,472
 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 06:05 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: They are wonderful brushes. The H.I.S. is wonderful and cheap. A large soft brush with spine. I got mine from Amazon, but don't see them any more. Hopefully, Gary, will see this and tell you were to buy one, if interested.

Here's a link to Gary's review at theshaveden:

http://shavenook.com/thread-h-i-s-synthetic-brush

Thanks. I'll look into buying one probably in the next couple of months. The fact that it works with about half the product as my current brush requires makes this an easy "sell" to my wife. Biggrin

0 396
 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
here's a link directly to the article, so it's not hard to find in the future:

http://sharpologist.com/2012/06/syntheti...art-1.html

40 5,830
 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Gary. As informative as always.

75 20,883
 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
User Info
Thanks Gary, it's always nice to hear and see the development of these new and developing shaving brushes, i personally think that they will eventually get there, but i'm not sure how far they are from presently challenging the top of range super and finest silvertip knots, i certainly would like to think that one day i will own one.

Jamie.

5 1,805
 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
Gary, if I'm not mistaken, your article is coming up next on The Sharpologist. Do you have a posting date firmed up?

Thanks for developing the testing criteria we used on the New-gen Synth Project, and for all you do to support the shaving community!

0 254
 06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
thanks for the info!

I have some *reading* material to catch up on this weekend Wink

9 1,684
 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
User Info
(06-20-2012, 11:10 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Thanks Gary, it's always nice to hear and see the development of these new and developing shaving brushes, i personally think that they will eventually get there, but i'm not sure how far they are from presently challenging the top of range super and finest silvertip knots, i certainly would like to think that one day i will own one.

Jamie.

Well they [best synthetics] challenge the Silvertips in every way, now. They are just as soft. They do not feel the same as naturals, but they are just as soft and much more efficient in creating lather by the fact that no product absorbs into the fibers.

I have many brushes both natural and synthetic and now and the only reason to have a natural haired brush and exclude the best synthetics is based on being a traditionalist. Which is fine if people choose to be a traditionalist, but that should be the discussion point now, not on performance as it was two years ago or more.

All natural brushes have differences and synthetics also work there way into the mix with there own unique advantages, greater lathering efficiency, softness, greater durability, and faster drying times.

I call the H.I.S. the dirty little secret brush that many people use and talk about other threads on the forum.

I guess I don't make it a secret.

People who keep holding out are missing out on some great brushes today. If it is the thought of, "if I get a synthetic I will never be able to use a natural brush again," well skip that one.
I still use and enjoy great natural brushes, but I also enjoy great synthetics with as much enthusiasm!

I want everyone who reads this to know that I am not venting at anyone, just stating things clearly. The change is not coming. It is here, now!

(06-21-2012, 03:01 PM)Codfish Wrote: Gary, if I'm not mistaken, your article is coming up next on The Sharpologist. Do you have a posting date firmed up?

Thanks for developing the testing criteria we used on the New-gen Synth Project, and for all you do to support the shaving community!

Thanks Jim for the kind words.

I think Mark is posting on around a two to four day cycle.
He has a posting on the Parker 90R then mine is next. Maybe sometime mid next week?

1 2,827
 06-23-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
Gary, thanks for sharing the information on the article. An interesting read that I will continue to follow. I know I will have a synthetic brush in the near future.

29 1,731
 06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
A new article is available today!

1 2,827