06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
My beard is almost entirely white now and it seems to be harder to shave than it once was. Is this a real effect of aging or is it just my imagination?

0 396
 06-20-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
I know my familial tremor makes my hand shakier when shaving as I get older and I think the gray hair seems tougher, more bristly and the skin tougher. Maybe it does make for a tougher shave or one that needs more passes, I don't know.

21 1,473
 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 06:57 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I know my familial tremor makes my hand shakier when shaving as I get older and I think the gray hair seems tougher, more bristly and the skin tougher. Maybe it does make for a tougher shave or one that needs more passes, I don't know.

What makes me suspicious is that I have a sample pack of various blades. Some of the brands, most notably Dorco, pulled my beard on the very first shave. There were several that did this. Others pulled and tugged on the second shave. I know there are some crappy razor blades out there but this is ridiculous so surely my beard must have gotten tougher. I don't remember having this problem when I was younger and my beard was a dark dark brown.

0 396
 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM
User Info
I haven't had that problem, Dave. I get several decent shaves out of every blade I've tried and I've tried plenty, at least 20 or 30 blades.

Have you tried hand-stropping the blade first or stropping the blade in the razor on old blue jeans?

I didn't care for Dorco either, but can't think of any others that tugged.

21 1,473
 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 07:23 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I haven't had that problem, Dave. I get several decent shaves out of every blade I've tried and I've tried plenty, at least 20 or 30 blades.

Have you tried hand-stropping the blade first or stropping the blade in the razor on old blue jeans?

I didn't care for Dorco either, but can't think of any others that tugged.

No, I haven't tried stropping. I'll try that next time. At present I have quite a few SuperMax Super Platinum blades and so far they are the best I've used. I like them as good as the Red Personnas.

0 396
 06-20-2012, 07:35 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
It's common that gray/white hair gets coarser, from what I understand. My gray is on my cheeks, which is easiest to shave, so it's not affecting me too much.

10 1,858
 06-20-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
Yes, they are good. I like them better than the Reds.

21 1,473
 06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Uncle Dave!

Glad you are well- ummm, I notice that some blades are more of a challenge on my graying beard mostly around the chin/goatee area and mustache. I have had to alter my attack to get better shaves..

In the denser area of growth (goatee), I come at a slight off-angle from WTG and in a motion that looks very close to *buffing* and with no pressure- movements are very small strokes.
Mustache has to be WTG first pass, and 2-XTG (almost never ATG). I tend to only use a corner 1/3rd to half the blade for my mustach and again in very small strokes.

Shave Safe, My Friend Biggrin
--james

9 1,684
 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
Having a mottled selection of black, brown and white beard hairs, I can't say I notice any difference between them.

3 3,557
 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 07:38 PM)gijames Wrote: Uncle Dave!

Glad you are well- ummm, I notice that some blades are more of a challenge on my graying beard mostly around the chin/goatee area and mustache. I have had to alter my attack to get better shaves..

In the denser area of growth (goatee), I come at a slight off-angle from WTG and in a motion that looks very close to *buffing* and with no pressure- movements are very small strokes.
Mustache has to be WTG first pass, and 2-XTG (almost never ATG). I tend to only use a corner 1/3rd to half the blade for my mustach and again in very small strokes.

Shave Safe, My Friend Biggrin
--james

Thanks James! I have a mustache and goatee. I recently started shaving my cheeks down to the jawline do I guess I have a modified goatee. The only area on my face that is very hard to shave is my neck. The hairs seem so hard that it takes a really good blade, short "hacking" strokes with no pressure, and extra passes against the grain to get it anywhere near BBS. The hair on my cheeks though is almost all gone after the first pass. A blade that isn't super sharp right out of the pack pulls the hairs on my neck even on the first pass, and I go the extra mile in terms of pre-shave prep. The only thing I can figure is that my beard must be harder to cut than before.

0 396
 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
oh, the neck... hehe I will not get a BBS on my neck unless I want irritation Tongue

I can get very clean DFS, but I have to use a bit of stretching, and patient small strokes. I agree, that when I was younger it was much easier to shave in the anti-gray!
Tongue

9 1,684
 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
U'Dave, Well, I'm well into my light colored hair shaves and if there's a difference I don't notice it.

Don't judge your beard by anything Dorcos do. IMO they are the blades from hell, all of them. If I used Dorcos I'd walk away thinking I was Clark Kent. Crappy blades could have that effect. FWIW, I'm not Clark Kent, I have no Fortress of Solitude and my wife would be really ticked if my GF was Lois Lane, and I wouldn't be able to tolerate Jimmy.

I find my really good blades to still be my really good blades. Todays SOTD was #8 on a Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow and it was another great shave.

So I'm going to say, just judge the blades, your beard is the same as it ever was, maybe just lighter in color. Crap blades would be crap with a dark beard or a light beard.

32 6,308
 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM
User Info
Yeah, Dave, the neck is nigh impossible to get BBS. I've shaved in all directions and buffed and J hooked and still it isn't totally smooth, but smooth enough. If it's tugging, maybe you need to stretch your neck a bit while shaving.

21 1,473
 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 07:50 PM)gijames Wrote: oh, the neck... hehe I will not get a BBS on my neck unless I want irritation Tongue

I can get very clean DFS, but I have to use a bit of stretching, and patient small strokes. I agree, that when I was younger it was much easier to shave in the anti-gray!
Tongue

I can understand that. Biggrin The strange thing for me is that though my face is much easier to shave than my neck, my neck seldom gets burn but it's more common on my face! Weird.

(06-20-2012, 07:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: U'Dave, Well, I'm well into my light colored hair shaves and if there's a difference I don't notice it.

Don't judge your beard by anything Dorcos do. IMO they are the blades from hell, all of them. If I used Dorcos I'd walk away thinking I was Clark Kent. Crappy blades could have that effect. FWIW, I'm not Clark Kent, I have no Fortress of Solitude and my wife would be really ticked if my GF was Lois Lane, and I wouldn't be able to tolerate Jimmy.

I find my really good blades to still be my really good blades. Todays SOTD was #8 on a Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow and it was another great shave.

So I'm going to say, just judge the blades, your beard is the same as it ever was, maybe just lighter in color. Crap blades would be crap with a dark beard or a light beard.

OK. That sounds logical. Several days ago I tried for the first time the SuperMax Super Platinum. This blade was smooth as silk from the first shave. No pull at all. As long as I've found a blade that cuts the beard well I'm satisfied. Biggrin

(06-20-2012, 07:53 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Yeah, Dave, the neck is nigh impossible to get BBS. I've shaved in all directions and buffed and J hooked and still it isn't totally smooth, but smooth enough. If it's tugging, maybe you need to stretch your neck a bit while shaving.

I've finally figured out what I need to do to get BBS on the neck. I get it every time with no irritation. I pause between each pass and do a hot towel on my beard. After the 3rd pass I hot towel it again, feel around on my neck for rough spots of stubble and then lather those spots and do the short quick strokes both against the grain and then across the grain being sure to keep the spot well lathered. I use no pressure. The lather keeps the spot from being irritated. I stretch my skin on these "touch up" strokes.

When I've got all as stubble free as I can get it I stop, use cold towels, witch hazel, and after shave. I can usually still feel some stubble if I rub against the grain but after about an hour all trace of the stubble feel is gone. Then, no matter which way I rub my neck (lightly of course) there is no sensation of stubble and this feeling lasts a LONG time.

0 396
 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 07:54 PM)uncledave Wrote: I've finally figured out what I need to do to get BBS on the neck. I get it every time with no irritation. I pause between each pass and do a hot towel on my beard. After the 3rd pass I hot towel it again, feel around on my neck for rough spots of stubble and then lather those spots and do the short quick strokes both against the grain and then across the grain being sure to keep the spot well lathered. I use no pressure. The lather keeps the spot from being irritated. I stretch my skin on these "touch up" strokes.

When I've got all as stubble free as I can get it I stop, use cold towels, witch hazel, and after shave. I can usually still feel some stubble if I rub against the grain but after about an hour all trace of the stubble feel is gone. Then, no matter which way I rub my neck (lightly of course) there is no sensation of stubble and this feeling lasts a LONG time.

wow! that is some display of patience! Maybe some Weekend shave, I will venture into the neck area as you described Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 08:34 PM)gijames Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 07:54 PM)uncledave Wrote: I've finally figured out what I need to do to get BBS on the neck. I get it every time with no irritation. I pause between each pass and do a hot towel on my beard. After the 3rd pass I hot towel it again, feel around on my neck for rough spots of stubble and then lather those spots and do the short quick strokes both against the grain and then across the grain being sure to keep the spot well lathered. I use no pressure. The lather keeps the spot from being irritated. I stretch my skin on these "touch up" strokes.

wow! that is some display of patience! Maybe some Weekend shave, I will venture into the neck area as you described Biggrin

I'm retired so I can spend as much time as I want shaving. If I still had to go to work I wouldn't have time for all this, so it's not patience, it's having a lot of time on my hands. Biggrin

0 396
 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
User Info
i had assumed that grey hair is not as supple as non-grey hair and is more brittle and stiff, so gets a bit more challenging to cut.
i guess you could move onto straights. Hehe.

75 20,883
 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-20-2012, 09:35 PM)celestino Wrote: i had assumed that grey hair is not as supple as non-grey hair and is more brittle and stiff, so gets a bit more challenging to cut.
i guess you could move onto straights. Hehe.

I've thought about it numerous times. I can't pass the physical..... no guts. Biggrin

0 396
 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
More the reason to get into real straights...they LOOOVE hair!...fingers n skin too!..once muscle memory kicks in..your hands will know what to do :-)

0 31
 06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
Having a generous amount of white hair on the face I have not noticed a difference in the texture of the dark versus white. I do know that my neck is and always been the challenge for a close shave. In the days of goo and multi blade cartridges the ingrown hairs were almost always in the same two areas.

29 1,731