07-10-2015, 12:39 PM
User Info
There have been recent discussions on this forum about very positive reviews after using a product for a short period of time (I’m guilty too).  It made me think about an old Road & Track magazine series called  “After the New Wears Off” (I think). What it offered was a reassessment of a car after a long period of time living with it. Did you still like what you initially liked? Have you found some quirks that annoy you? You get the point.

I have been thinking about my shaving equipment and products recently in the same way. I looked at what I use on a routine basis. I pick up my Duke 3 Manchurian most every time I shave. I enjoy the heft, the quality, and the luxuriousness it offers. It just brings me enjoyment. [This doesn’t mean that I don’t want a Paladin brush, it just means that I don’t NEED a Paladin brush.]
The same can be said for my BBS-1 razor/ bulldog handle. It feels good in my hand, looks great and shaves like nobodies business.
I am wondering if there are there any products (razors, brushes, blades, soaps etc.) that give you fellow nookers the same pleasure now as they did when new?  Do the long time wet shavers (I'm not calling anyone old Wink )  still use some items from years ago on a daily basis? Do you still enjoy them after the new wears off?
Thanks for reading.

1 34
 07-10-2015, 12:40 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Great idea.

102 18,669
 07-10-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
I do.  I sometimes use a Super Speed or even a pocket edition.  Just to mix things up.  

I know what you mean, I have stuff that I got out of want and not because of need, but the older I get he wiser I have become.  My collection is big, but not as big as I used to be, say 5 years ago.

Good thread!  Refreshing!  Thanks!

61 3,796
 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
When I got my Duke 3 in Best, I was very high on my expectations. It was my first Simpson and my first badger I paid +100$. It had some story attracting me, Alexander Simpson's nickname was Duke, and the it is first brush I fell in love when I started reading about wet shaving. When I first got it, it was little, it was scratchy and I was a bit upset. Then I used it exclusively. It only got better. Story up to now is nothing interesting, usual stuff. 

I'm not shaving for 2 weeks. It is tough thing to do believe me. I'm occasionally doing test lathers or washing with my face with my favorite soaps. It really helps. But today, before reading this topic, I used my Duke. I felt blessed. Even holding the iconic handle was such a luxury with heft and comfortable grip. I face lathered to exfoliate. I felt blessed again. Such a great backbone with a nice scrub on the tips. Exquisite!

It is after 5 months I got the brush so I think it suits the topic. Great idea for the topic by the way.

0 1,053
 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I purchased a custom shaving brush from a European artisan. It's a silvertip and very dense, but as much as I initially loved it, it went into a drawer for storage. After purchasing Saponificio Varesino soaps, I again fell in love with it. Sometimes it's a different combination that rekindles the love.

13 626
 07-10-2015, 03:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info

MWF
ALT INNSBRUK
SUPER IRIDIUMS

There have been others, some much loved. But I will always use these.

2 3,171
 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
My opinion and views have not changed after almost four years with the following:

* Weber DLC (smoothest shaver I have ever tried and still haven't found anything comparable!)  Biggrin
* Super Iridiums
* Mystic Water soaps
* WSP Manchurian + original Stubby 2-Band knots; Chubby 2 Super knots;  all knots in an assortment of custom handles (all-amber being my favourites)  Shy  
* Unrefined Shea Butter

83 21,115
 07-14-2015, 09:39 AM
User Info
The only stable item in my shave den is my Plisson Acetate Burgundy synthetic brush (see review here).

I've tried multiple razors, blades, soaps, and aftershaves without finding any "grail" items.

1 135
 07-14-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
Great topic. The problem with instant gratification is it doesn't come quick enough. As I tell my wife, many soaps, one wife.

36 913
 07-14-2015, 12:59 PM
User Info
My keepers since day one are... 

MWF
Gillette Silver Blues
AstraSP 
Merkur 34C 

I have a good bit more that works but those four are my "staples" so to speak.

148 3,604
 07-14-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
My initial setup a few years back was:
- Merkur Progress
- Derby blades
- Semogue 1305
- Speick Aftershave
- Musgo Real original cream

Of the above, Speick is the only product that is still a regular. Musgo I keep for nostalgia and do use from time to time. But Derbys are not for me, the Progress I sold and the Semogue was retired and not replaced. I did love and appreciate the progress and Semogue for many months of daily use before moving on to other products and not looking back. 

Other products that have stayed in the rotation for a long period of time....

Mystic Water
Mike's Natural
Tabac
Rooney brushes
Merkur classic head

42 1,200
 07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I'd say my thater brush I used it for a solid couple months then it dropped and the handle broke so until I get it fixed I can't use it and it's eating me up inside no other brush has been able to make me feel ok without it.

23 598
 07-14-2015, 06:46 PM
User Info
I would say that I still use my Nathan Clark brush and RazoRock xxx  with my Kramperts frostbite aftershave in my rotation and haven't gotten tired of them.

0 46
 07-14-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
Thanks acotler.

The only product I've changed my mind on over the years from a user standpoint has been Williams soap. There was a  time that I used it and made excuses for it. But as time went on and I saw that it lathering gymnastics to get it to work I stopped using it as being not worth it, and stopped excusing it.

There have been one class of brushes that I changed my mind on as well; synthetic brushes. When I started blade shaving the only ones available were the nylon brushes from the '40s. They were horrible and I wouldn't even let one near my face. The all of that began to change and today I not only let them near my face but I think they are every bit as good and better than natural fiber brushes. It has been interesting to watch their evolution over the last few years.

Of course there are new products, mostly my own anymore, and they push the old standbys to the side. (if they weren't better I wouldn't waste my time to make them)

32 6,472
 07-14-2015, 06:59 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I have always gotten along with my Cobra Classic. Still use it the majority of the time. I regret selling my backup.[Image: WEBxq3A.jpg]

61 4,645
 07-15-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
I started with boar brushes due to their low price and then a year or so after starting wet shaving, I took a plunge with a Semogue 2012 Special Edition mixed. I lucked out because I enjoy everything about it and even bought another to keep in reserve for when the first one wears out. I rotate between the 2012 and a Barbear Classico Mistura (love the knot, not the handle) - and that's it. It's great when you find an item that you are truly content with and one that mutes any potential BAD.

2 127
 07-15-2015, 05:45 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(07-14-2015, 06:59 PM)eengler Wrote: I have always gotten along with my Cobra Classic. Still use it the majority of the time. I regret selling my backup.

The Cobra Classic is an excellent shaver. I wish it was widely available at a decent price all the time.

I did go down the Mongoose route - but it did not match the Cobra experience for me.

17 535
 07-15-2015, 05:55 AM
User Info
My all time favorites
- SE: King Cobra
- DE: Merkur 38C HD, Weber HP, WR1-SB
- Soap: Mystic Waters & Mike's Natural
- Brushes: Simpson's Manchurian, Rooney Finest, Rooney Gel tip,

75 2,322
 07-15-2015, 05:59 AM
User Info
Razor : Pils &BBS1
Brush: Simpson Manchrian
Soap: Mystic water (tallow), SV(veggie)
Blades: Kai DE blades
AS: Jack black double moisturizer cream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 07-18-2015, 07:21 AM
User Info
two razors still do it   weber ph and wolfman oc;  polsilver super iridium blades, cannot choose just one brush I am a hopeless brushaholic on these, adp and mdc for soaps and xpec for cream.  murad razor burn. yep, kramperts bay rum is right next to my computer  life is good for this old man

76 1,332