07-11-2015, 02:52 PM
User Info
For me:

Pre-shave--- no expensive pre shave preparations for me, I just use Noxzema face wash at $3 a tub.
Post-shave-- Nothing marketed as a balm specifically for shaving. I don't even use lotion marketed for the face-- just non-comedogenic hand lotion which is cheaper and still has essentially the same ingredients. Target-brand.
Brushes: Sort of. I float around brushes costing around $30-60 but synthetics coincidentally are about that price, and I use synthetics near-exclusively. You won't find me spending $200 but you won't find me spending $10-- cheap boar brushes are actually a terrible value since they are so inefficient. 

I go all out on soaps if I think they are worth it. I am not using Arko...

18 713
 07-11-2015, 03:00 PM
User Info
I will not spend over a certain price for anything shaving. Preshave when the proraso runs out I'll use noxema or whatever else I have lying around. Post shave I have a couple of aftershaves, nothing expensive really and the ones I have I rarely use ad I prefer an alum block and trumpers skin food. I don't really skimp on anything.  Razors for instance I will never own a stainless razor because for me I don't want to spend that much on a razor.  I'll never own a super expensive badger brush, and as far as soaps go I'll never buy MdC or aqua di Parma.  Not saying they aren't good products I just won't allow myself to buy things in that price range.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
No pre shave products.
No brushes in my house over $70.00, and right now I am liking my Plisson synthetic.
My most expensive razor is $35, and recently purchased a Maggard head that is a "second" for $4, that is becoming my daily driver.
Soaps?!?  I wanna try them all, and find I have become pretty picky. I prefer meringue type lather over yogurt consistency (VERY much so!), and apparently I am mostly a tallow snob. Only veggie I have found acceptable is R/R Zi'peppeno.
Paying prices of soaps is tough for me, I remind myself it is SOAP, and cannot justify spending more than $10 a puck. I mean really, would you spend more than a couple bucks for a bar of bath soap? I realize it's Apple's and oranges, but it's still soap.

Before becoming enlightened with soap and brush method of lather, I would giggled hearing of a $10 dollar soap!

Moral of my story- I'm cheap.

0 24
 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
I don't skimp anywhere. I have far too much!

0 278
 07-11-2015, 03:23 PM
User Info
My wife thought the razorock SMF was on of those crazy expensive soaps because of the packaging, luckily I had the bill handy before it got thrown at me.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 03:27 PM
User Info
I don't do preshave but that's because I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, not to save $.

Everything else I use is low end to mid range. I won't buy anything super expensive but I might if I thought it would make my shaves better.

32 6,445
 07-11-2015, 03:39 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I used to skimp on brushes keeping them under $100. Now I have this...
[Image: jHdquRW.jpg]

No more skimping.

59 4,385
 07-11-2015, 03:41 PM
User Info
I don't really skimp as I have found what works for me and I am fortunate enough to have been able to acquire the gear I have which I know is excessive. I could be just as happy with 2-3 boar brushes and 2-3 badgers, two DLC razors, my main soap and unrefined shea butter + EO. 
I don't use pre-shave products and try to keep things as simple as possible. The main reason I have so many brushes is principally for my photos and to pass some to my son! I guess I could always stop taking photographs if I ever wanted to minimize my den.  Biggrin

82 21,056
 07-11-2015, 03:44 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 03:20 PM)tinashubby Wrote: Soaps?!?  I wanna try them all, and find I have become pretty picky. I prefer meringue type lather over yogurt consistency (VERY much so!), and apparently I am mostly a tallow snob. Only veggie I have found acceptable is R/R Zi'peppeno.
Paying prices of soaps is tough for me, I remind myself it is SOAP, and cannot justify spending more than $10 a puck. 

I used to be a tallow snob... I have not tried any razorock but it is a coconut oil soap and none of those I've tried are as good as a tallow soap, including MdC. I use mostly veggie now. The best of those being: Dr. Dittmar, Provence Sante, and Pre de Provence. 

Anyways the price of a soap is irrelevant by your criteria of "spending more than $10 a puck." Soft soaps such as Proraso are seemingly cheap but are actually twice as expensive to use as a hard triple milled soap that costs $15-- Pre de Provence. What you really need to look at is price per use. Here is an example of this: http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...red-tested

(07-11-2015, 03:27 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I don't do preshave but that's because I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, not to save $.

Careful there, on some forums you could get banned for spreading subversive information  Biggrin

18 713
 07-11-2015, 03:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Water, H2O, Liqua vitae, Aqua.
I'm in a severe drought zone . I recycle and pull out CA redemption containers from unredeemed neighbors and pull in cash.
A shocking amount is unconsumed bottled water, the ultimate environmental monstrosity on a personal level. On an average
week I refilter @ 5 gallons. I use this to shave and water my modest patio herb and rose garden. With the money I am saving
there will be a rather decadently expensive Simpsons brush someday. My fellow environmeddlers will see this and  condemn
my materialism. I will straighten the sash on my Zen robe, stand taller and say YES! I love material things; redwood trees, 
redheads, red sunsets and red wines; A leviathan surfacing near Phil on the whale road. 
Skimping on proper shaving kit would be, well, the first sign of my embracing mindless consumerism.

2 3,171
 07-11-2015, 04:12 PM
User Info
The nearest I come to skimping is limiting myself to one of each major choice:  one DE razor, one boar brush,  one badger brush, and one synthetic brush. Although I don't buy a large quantity of products, I get good examples that I can be happy with but don't indulge myself with a collection. I do own several soaps but have decided to put a hold on new purchases after the LPL that was ordered last week until I've used most of the soap up. Then I will repurchase my favorite soaps. Pre-shave is Proraso, after shave will be Floid Blue, which is a birthday gift. Indeed, some of my nicest items were received as gifts. Now that my hardware has been purchased I don't expect to purchase any hardware, but if I do, I will sell the duplicate that is created. For example, if I bought a simpsons chubby 2 I'd sell my tulip 3, which I bought used.

1 142
 07-11-2015, 04:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Gordon,
Owning multiple brushes may appear indulgent. But remember a brush needs to dry and rest like a quality pair of dress shoes between wearing and having a rotation extends the life of each. Also, it is my learned opinion that different brush handles exercise the hand and wrist's grip and reduce the danger of carpel tunnel syndrome.

2 3,171
 07-11-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
Serious? Carpel tunnel from a shave brush?? Not being sarcastic even though it sounds that way, but seriously?

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 04:41 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 03:20 PM)tinashubby Wrote: No pre shave products.
No brushes in my house over $70.00, and right now I am liking my Plisson synthetic.
My most expensive razor is $35, and recently purchased a Maggard head that is a "second" for $4, that is becoming my daily driver.
Soaps?!?  I wanna try them all, and find I have become pretty picky. I prefer meringue type lather over yogurt consistency (VERY much so!), and apparently I am mostly a tallow snob. Only veggie I have found acceptable is R/R Zi'peppeno.
Paying prices of soaps is tough for me, I remind myself it is SOAP, and cannot justify spending more than $10 a puck. I mean really, would you spend more than a couple bucks for a bar of bath soap? I realize it's Apple's and oranges, but it's still soap.

Before becoming enlightened with soap and brush method of lather, I would giggled hearing of a $10 dollar soap!

Moral of my story- I'm cheap.

I pay $8.00 for my bath soaps. I gave in one day and ordered Pre de Provence bath soap in Lavender and will never buy a cheap soap again, and probably won't buy any other brand again. The performance of PdP bath soap is insane, the lather is plentiful, and the smell is strong all the way to the end of the bar. And the plus is my wife loves it too. L'Occitane is $12.00 for the same size soap but reviews I read said they are nearly identical to PdP.

13 947
 07-11-2015, 04:48 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 04:29 PM)kav Wrote: Gordon,
Owning multiple brushes may appear indulgent. But remember a brush needs to dry and rest like a quality pair of dress shoes between wearing and having a rotation extends the life of each. Also, it is my learned opinion that different brush handles exercise the hand and wrist's grip and reduce the danger of carpel tunnel syndrome.

LOL the carpel tunnel syndrome is a good one. I rotate my use of brushes so each has at least 48 hours time to recover from the last use. Regarding the rotation extending the life, I agree that makes sense but that still is where I skimp. If I didn't feel the need to skimp, I'd probably have a brush for each day of the week (at least).  Smile

1 142
 07-11-2015, 04:50 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 04:37 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Serious? Carpel tunnel from a shave brush?? Not being sarcastic even though it sounds that way, but seriously?
We need to find out what soap he's using and add it to the "do not buy" list.

I skimp of Cologne. I can't justify hundreds of dollars for a bottle. $30-40 is fine for me.

8 2,718
 07-11-2015, 04:53 PM
User Info
I have carpel tunnel, but I build cars for a living, mainly metal fab, I got it in 6 months which I thought was too early but I was wrong that's why I was wondering if he was serious or not

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 04:55 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
All depends on what you deem to be skimping. One man's skimping is another man's extravagance. 

Bob

0 1,694
 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 04:53 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I have carpel tunnel, but I build cars for a living, mainly metal fab, I got it in 6 months which I thought was too early but I was wrong that's why I was wondering if he was serious or not

Justin, No offense was intended. I took it as a joke and in no way meant to make light of anyone with the condition. If you took offense, please accept my apology.

1 142
 07-11-2015, 04:57 PM
User Info
Bar soaps for me too. I can't spend $10-15 on a bar, no matter how good it works and how nice it smells.

8 2,718