07-11-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
Hey guys, playing around with a Simpson duke 3,ill be honest I'm not used to badger brushes, I prefer synthetics. Anyhow I loaded my brush for what I thought was a good time 30-45 seconds, but the amount of lather I got was maybe only enough for 1 1/2 passes. So without going overboard here and getting enough lather for a weeks worth of shaving about how long should I load??, I know the hardness of the soaps comes into play and I have all kinds of soaps if that helps any.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM
User Info
I also prefer synthetics. Regardless, with a badger 30 seconds.  This is even with a super hard soap-- Pre de Provence.

18 713
 07-11-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
30 seconds with both MWF, razorock SMdF and some other razorock maybe xxx, and I barely had anything.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 06:15 PM
User Info
Bowl lathering or face? I have a Simpson Commodore X2 and have always had issues bowl lathering with it. However when I use it to face lather its a champ. I have a Duke 3 as well and havent had any issues with it but I pretty much face lather exclusively now. I usually load about 30 seconds as well, but I try and go by how the brush looks and not the amount of time that has passed.

3 78
 07-11-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
Face with the SMdF bowl just messing around with the rest. I went with what I thought looked like enough too. I guess going from not so dense synthetics, to dense badgers it needs more. Oh well i have plenty of soap, that's why I brought the Duke 3 out was to chew through some soaps. Guess it just chewed a little more than I thought.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 06:25 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 06:06 PM)Otis375 Wrote: 30 seconds with both MWF, razorock SMdF and some other razorock maybe xxx, and I barely had anything.

I load roughly 20-30 depending on the soap. I find the trick with MWF is to add just a small amount of hot water, seal it, let it absorb over night. After that I have never had an issue. How much water are you leaving in your brush when you try to load? Huge difference with water retention between synthetic and badger. I strictly face lather and like to have an almost pastey consistency with the soap on my badgers then just dip a touch in water if needed and load from there. The water I splash between passes is enough for me to continue to work my lather on second pass and 3rd/touch up.

147 3,534
 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
User Info
When I am dealing with a dense badger it is more difficult and needs more water than you would think. With my sparse Muhle Black bagdger, less water is needed, and it is almost as easy as with my Plisson or Muhle STF.

18 713
 07-11-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 06:25 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 06:06 PM)Otis375 Wrote: 30 seconds with both MWF, razorock SMdF and some other razorock maybe xxx, and I barely had anything.

I load roughly 20-30 depending on the soap. I find the trick with MWF is to add just a small amount of hot water, seal it, let it absorb over night. After that I have never had an issue. How much water are you leaving in your brush when you try to load? Huge difference with water retention between synthetic and badger. I strictly face lather and like to have an almost pastey consistency with the soap on my badgers then just dip a touch in water if needed and load from there. The water I splash between passes is enough for me to continue to work my lather on second pass and 3rd/touch up.
That's what I do too brb. I'll go try it again I may not have enough water in the brush brb.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 06:34 PM
User Info
I was shaking too much water out of the brush. Thanks for the tip, just loaded for about 20 seconds but usually I'll get the brush pretty dry and add water as needed, this time I let it drip out until it stopped and gave it 2maybe 3 shakes it started out a little runny but I was able to build it back up, one a side note does anyone else think razorock XX smells a lot like Phoenix artisan the beach.? I had read the beach was a collaboration but they smell pretty close to my sniffer..

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 06:40 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 06:34 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I was shaking too much water out of the brush.  Thanks for the tip,  just loaded for about 20 seconds but usually I'll get the brush pretty dry and add water as needed,  this time I let it drip out until it stopped and gave it 2maybe 3 shakes it started out a little runny but I was able to build it back up, one a side note does anyone else think razorock XX smells a lot like Phoenix artisan the beach.? I had read the beach was a collaboration but they smell pretty close to my sniffer..

The more you work with it you will dial it in and be golden. 2 to 3 small shakes is about all I do with my badgers. 

Can't say the same on the XX/The Beach. I love XX but the beach had to go. After about an hour the splash smelled like cat pee and B. O. First and last time I ever used it.

147 3,534
 07-11-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
Yea that thin lather you get when you have water in your brush kind of had me worried so I just always shook the excess water out. The other day I had some runny mess with a new soap and I kept act it and it thickened up. Had I not done that I may of tossed my badger brush.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 06:57 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 06:47 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Yea that thin lather you get when you have water in your brush kind of had me worried so I just always shook the excess water out.  The other day I had some runny mess with a new soap and I kept act it and it thickened up.  Had I not done that I may of tossed my badger brush.

Never toss a badger. Somewhere a bald badger shivers in the cold for the sacrifice he made for your brush. Honor him. 
Smile

147 3,534
 07-11-2015, 07:05 PM
User Info
If your loading properly, you should see the typical 'gooey' paste that almost mimics toothpaste. I usually load for 30-45 seconds depending on which brush I am using and I also prefer a thicker lather. Having said this, I use shave sticks 100% of the time as this allows me more time on my face with my brushes for a lovely massage.  Shy

82 21,077
 07-11-2015, 07:09 PM
User Info
It may be better if you just load until you get a thick protolather, disregarding load time. A lot of lather issues are just from not using enough product. I just load and keep checking the thickness of the protolather on the knot. Once its pretty thick, I start adding water slowly as I face lather. Works the same for bowl lathering.

40 1,166
 07-11-2015, 07:10 PM
User Info
20-30 seconds for me. I'm using SMdF right now too and loading for 20 seconds seems plenty as it is so soft and almost like cream consistency.

I have fairly hard water, face lather, two pass and one on my face during clean up. I prefer thick and creamy lather and don't hold back loading. I am probably using about 3g per shave.

As for the brush, I soak it during the shower, hold it bristles down and then give a squeeze at the base of the knot. This seems to allow me to get the water out while keeping the bristles and tips damp.

Some soaps will take 60 seconds +, but I haven't had to do that in a while.

8 2,718
 07-11-2015, 07:29 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 06:57 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 06:47 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Yea that thin lather you get when you have water in your brush kind of had me worried so I just always shook the excess water out.  The other day I had some runny mess with a new soap and I kept act it and it thickened up.  Had I not done that I may of tossed my badger brush.

Never toss a badger. Somewhere a bald badger shivers in the cold for the sacrifice he made for your brush. Honor him. 
Smile

Badger are viscous creatures, maybe the cold will make him a little nicer. 

@celestino,that was the type of lather I was getting at first all paste and no puff if that makes any sense. It was too dry. Synthetics are just so easy to build a lather I had got off my game a little bit.

To be honest the amount of water my Simpson hold is ridiculous, to me it seemed like I needed to get most of it out, but I wasn't thinking of how dense the brush was.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 07:32 PM
User Info
Justin, you can always add a bit more water to the paste/protolather if you find it a bit dry and keep loading. A few more days practice with your badgers and you'll be right back to getting the desired lather. Good luck.  Smile

82 21,077
 07-11-2015, 07:36 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 07:32 PM)celestino Wrote: Justin, you can always add a bit more water to the paste/protolather if you find it a bit dry and keep loading. A few more days practice with your badgers and you'll be right back to getting the desired lather. Good luck.  Smile

When Freddie said more water a light bulb went off in my head, I went back and tried it again this time just a few shakes and I let the water drip out on its on. I loaded maybe 20 seconds and gave it a try and I got the results I was looking for. I appreciate all the help guys.

3 1,356
 07-11-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 05:59 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Hey guys,  playing around with a Simpson duke 3,ill be honest I'm not used to badger brushes, I prefer synthetics.  Anyhow I loaded my brush for what I thought was a good time 30-45 seconds, but the amount of lather I got was maybe only enough for 1 1/2 passes.  So without going overboard here and getting enough lather for a weeks worth of shaving about how long should I load??, I know the hardness of the soaps comes into play and I have all kinds of soaps if that helps any.

Just load it like you hate it  Biggrin

I load any of my badgers for 1-2 minutes and always seem to get a nice lather out of it.

When I was a rookie, I would load MWF for maybe 30 seconds and expect magic. Ain't going to happen  Tongue

Magic happens when you load the heck out of your badger.
Then the badger brush will make ANY SYNTHETIC feel like a cheap set of nylon strings attached to a handle  Badger 2vikoro Badger

24 5,963
 07-11-2015, 07:41 PM
User Info
Lol I bought 2 pucks of MWF and put them in this big Ole mug I have.  I did the same as you did maybe 30 seconds and I had soup on my face,  Since I have 2 pucks I loaded that soap like you said I know for 2 minutes,  I had lather overflowing out of the bowl, that was when I realized what MWF was supposed to be like.

3 1,356