06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I recently acquired an A type, the original Repeating Razor in decent shape for $60 delivered. You don't see too many for sale so I figured it was worth the gamble.

Anyway, I loaded it up with a new blade today and after 2 passes had a close comfortable shave.

I got a couple small weepers, which I suppose is to be expected when using a new razor, especially a style I'm not used to. I only did 2 passes, but was able to do an ATG on my neck which I can't do with DEs (but do with straights)

Has anyone tried one of these? Do I need to do more passes? I was expecting a closer shave, but I've heard these are pretty mild.

I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences and recommendations.

Thanks!

9 541
 06-21-2012, 01:57 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've never tried the A Type but always wanted to try it and I don't know that I've ever seen one for sale. How do they compare to other injectors?

116 3,804
 06-21-2012, 02:05 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-21-2012, 01:57 AM)Dave Wrote: I've never tried the A Type but always wanted to try it and I don't know that I've ever seen one for sale. How do they compare to other injectors?

Dave, its actually the first and only injector I've ever tried, so I can't comment yet. I do have a C type though, so I'm going to give that a spin to see how it compares.

9 541
 06-21-2012, 02:09 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The only ones I've ever tried are an E,G, L, M, and an adjustable type M. They are great shavers.

116 3,804
 06-21-2012, 02:16 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-21-2012, 02:09 AM)Dave Wrote: The only ones I've ever tried are an E,G, L, M, and an adjustable type M. They are great shavers.

Can you comment at all on the different types? I hear the E is the most aggressive, even more so than the adjustable. Would you recommend the adjustable? Is there only 1 variant?

9 541
 06-21-2012, 02:20 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Oops I forgot I'd tried an "I" as well. The adjustable is my favorite of all of them and honestly is the only vintage adjustable that I enjoy using. Here's how I rank the ones I've tried from Mild to Wild

Type M (non adjustable)
Type L
Type I (hydromagic) If you run across one of these, it has the lever to open and clean your blade. Way more helpful and not a gimmick at all. It's mild though
Type G
Type E

The Adjustable to me isn't as aggressive as the "E". It's really smooth and a great shaver.

116 3,804
 06-21-2012, 02:23 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Thank you Dave for the information.

Do you still get a very close shave from the adjustable?

And also, what blades would you recommend? On the A and C types you can't use injectors, you have to manually refill a carrier. So if I decide to stick with it regularly I might as well buy blades in bulk as opposed to the dispensers as I have to remove them by hand from the dispenser anyway

9 541
 06-21-2012, 02:28 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
When I bought my first injector off eBay it came with some Schick Plus Platinum injector blades. Those were amazing blades. Since then, I've always used the Chinese Schicks that are available at the grocery store here. They are nice and sharp and last about 8 shaves or so for me. Johnny recommends the Personna injector blades that you can buy in bulk. I'd imagine those would suit you better since they don't come with a key and might make loading easier in a type A or C. I'm interested to read more of your thoughts since the A is one I've always been fascinated with, but well out of my price range

116 3,804
 06-21-2012, 02:40 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
You enablers......

I had my first Injector shave last night too.
I was able to get a NOS L1, still unopened in the original packaging off of the Bay. I used one of the Chromium blades that came with it and it was fantastic. Milder than the Cobra Classic, I didn't feel like I was on the edge for the whole shave.
It was a great experience.
I have a NOS M1 adjustable in the mail as well. I likely over paid for both of these but for NOS, still in the packaging, I felt it worthwhile.

Can anyone compare the old Chromium blades to the old Platinum blades mentioned as well as the Chinese Injector blades?

6 905
 06-21-2012, 02:47 AM
User Info
I've tried an A type before (gave it away - who knew these were rare? Biggrin). It is cool, but very mild -- almost as mild as my L-Type.

I'm a firm believer in the E-G types - best balance of looks and aggressiveness for me. Cheap too!

37 1,731
 06-21-2012, 03:05 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-21-2012, 02:47 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: I've tried an A type before (gave it away - who knew these were rare? Biggrin). It is cool, but very mild -- almost as mild as my L-Type.

I'm a firm believer in the E-G types - best balance of looks and aggressiveness for me. Cheap too!

Yohann, have you tried the D type? It has that 30's look but appears similar to the E type in design.

Also, what blades do you use?

Dave: I need to track down another blade carrier for my C type (the little cartridge looking component that was found on the old repeater refills), but once I do I'd be more than happy to send you my A type to try. It's a little finicky to load a blade, but I could certainly get it loaded up for you with a new blade and that would give you a whole week of A testing bliss

9 541
 06-21-2012, 03:28 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Nick I'd love to try one eventually. In the mean time, I'll see if I can find my E type to send to you. Thanks for the offer!!

116 3,804
 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
Nick,
Good luck with the injectors, but since you use straights, i think you are going to find all the injectors a bit mild.
i have very limited experience with them, but i have tried the Schick Adjustable, an E series that i gave to Johnny, and a PAL adjustable. They were all too mild for me and the Chinese Schick blades were terrible for me. i have also heard that the E series were the most "aggressive". Good luck my friend.
If you want a real injector, you could try the Cobra. Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nick,

I shave everyday with either an E3, G1, or I1 Schick. I find the E3 and G1 to be about the same as for as aggressiveness. The I1 is the mildest. No matter which one I use, I just do two passes but with the I1 I usually have to do a little touch up.

For the blades you can buy today, I find the Chinese Schick blades give the best shave and last the longest (usually 7 shaves minimum and as long as 15 shaves). I buy my blades at drugstore.com and right now they are having a sale for $5.xx

I am not familiar with the type C and A razors.

173 23,493
 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(06-21-2012, 03:28 AM)Dave Wrote: Nick I'd love to try one eventually. In the mean time, I'll see if I can find my E type to send to you. Thanks for the offer!!

Dave, that is extremely generous of you. I'd love to give it a spin!

(06-21-2012, 07:32 AM)celestino Wrote: Nick,
Good luck with the injectors, but since you use straights, i think you are going to find all the injectors a bit mild.
i have very limited experience with them, but i have tried the Schick Adjustable, an E series that i gave to Johnny, and a PAL adjustable. They were all too mild for me and the Chinese Schick blades were terrible for me. i have also heard that the E series were the most "aggressive". Good luck my friend.
If you want a real injector, you could try the Cobra. Biggrin

Celestino,

Thank you for your thoughts. I used it again tonight and I think that may be why I find it so mild, I'm just used to straights. It is certainly VERY cool and fun to use, and is undoubtably a fantastic option for traveling, which is what piqued my interest to start.

Due to Michael's generosity, I will hopefully be trying the cobra in a couple weeks Biggrin

(06-21-2012, 09:48 AM)Johnny Wrote: Nick,

I shave everyday with either an E3, G1, or I1 Schick. I find the E3 and G1 to be about the same as for as aggressiveness. The I1 is the mildest. No matter which one I use, I just do two passes but with the I1 I usually have to do a little touch up.

For the blades you can buy today, I find the Chinese Schick blades give the best shave and last the longest (usually 7 shaves minimum and as long as 15 shaves). I buy my blades at drugstore.com and right now they are having a sale for $5.xx

I am not familiar with the type C and A razors.

Johnny,

I took advantage of the special at drugstore.com. Even got free shipping! (of course, a good excuse to order some AS)

Have you tried any of the personna/ted pella/EMS blades?

9 541
 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Has anyone tried trimming the Feather blades for an injector? I read it can be done, but I don't know how you would go about trimming them

9 541
 06-22-2012, 05:30 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I know Seraphim modified a few to use with the Parker Shavette, but I'm not sure that I've seen trimming them to fit in an injector.

116 3,804
 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
User Info
Hiya,

If I may, I'll just ramble on a bit about injectors tried before. I have only one in my rotation and it fits me the best of the many types sampled over the years.

Done right, the injector can provide an extremely close and comfortable shave. It takes some trial and error to reach that point though. Yep, you gotta match up the blade to the razor......just like DE shaving. It's certainly the case of not all injectors shaving about the same......they can be different as night and day.

I've always heard the weak link to injectors is the blades available. That's really not true, since many excellent blades are available to bid on. To me, none of the currently made blades are anything special, but there's some vintage blades that are magical in the right razor.

It takes 4-5 shaves or so to figure out the technique. Gotta learn about pressure and angle and it's not automatic. A very sharp blade will be surprisingly unforgiving if you screw up in any way.

There's lots to be learned about injectors.....just depends how far that rabbit hole you wanna slide down.

Martin

1 79
 06-24-2012, 05:23 AM
  • Dino
  • St Helens, England
User Info
I have a type A, I like it (only used it twice) due to rotation and new aquisitions etc...
I was mild but not overly so more an effective mild, less passes than a super speed, I kinda took me awhile to get the angle right and yes I got a couple of weepers due to the angle. I already have a L model and a tennis grip which is similar to the L which are more refined in performane to me.

1 68
 06-24-2012, 05:34 AM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
[Image: PAL.jpg]

This is a dandy of a razor.

PAL Stainless Adjustable Injector.

Often on eBay for a decent price , beautiful razor.

7 243