07-12-2015, 01:46 AM
User Info
Hello all,

Been using the Atlas M1 that I ordered in june on a daily basis during the past week. It is very well made and shaves like a dream, peach smooth in two strokes. And how forgiving it is: no need to think about how to shave when using it in the morning.

However I cannot feel it 'working' and am wondering if I should change the base plate to get a bit more agressiveness.

During the week before last week I tried my newly aquired R 41 (thanks to the reviews on this forum). Also a fantastic shaver. Loaded with a Feather (the only blades I use) it gives perfect results. However the R41 likes to be handled with a satin glove so to speak. Using it reminds me more of shaving with a straight razor. But after 6 shaves with it there was no skin irritation.

What I cannot quite figure out is why the Atlas gives a perfect result without any effort from my side. Even a 34c requires more attention. I do notice that the Atlas is machined to a higher standard then say a Mühle r41 or a Merkur 34c. It's made very tight and the blade fits tight too. Could it be that the lack of sensation I experience with the Atlas is caused by a blade that does not flex and remains rigid? Mühle and Merkur make good razors that I cherish, but the Atlas is in a league of its own.

Anyway, the question now is whether or not to get a new base plate (R1/H1).

Any suggestion?

Tilly1648

Ps: I was able to aquire an Ikon Standard and a Shavecaft 102 thanks to two forum members who offered them for sale. The Ikon arrived last week and I am waiting for the 102 to be delivered. Tried the Ikon this morning: perfect shaver.

1 42
 07-12-2015, 05:22 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have the m2 with Atlas handle and I find it to be mild and efficient as well. If you can handle the r41(I don't even want to try it with my sensitive skin), then you should be able to handle the r or h plates. If the m1 gives you the closeness you want without irritation, I don't see much benefit in moving up. I would try the r plate if you're looking for a closer shave.

3 561
 07-12-2015, 05:45 AM
User Info
Don't see any harm in trying the R1 or H1 if you've already had the R41. You might also want to consider getting a S plate seeing as most reviews have mentioned that it has the efficiency of the R plate but is more comfortable.

0 82
 07-13-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
If it works there's no need to change anything.  But it's always fun to try something new.  Personally, the M1 plate couldn't give me a good shave no matter what I did with it.  The R1 was definitely a step up for me in terms of efficiency, but at the expense of comfort.  I eventually settled on the R1 as my daily driver, finding it works very well using the high angle method.  Naturally, as always, YMMV.

9 329
 07-14-2015, 09:29 PM
User Info
Quote:Don't see any harm in trying the R1 or H1 if you've already had the R41. You might also want to consider getting a S plate seeing as most reviews have mentioned that it has the efficiency of the R plate but is more comfortable.

Yes, many have suggested the S1 or S2 are smooth and efficient, but you need the S cap in addition to a plate, effectively doubling the price.
I have an M2 & R1 and both are great, but the R1 is more efficient and maybe a bit smoother too (YMMV). Both are comfortable, especially with the Atlas handle.

4 100
 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
(07-12-2015, 01:46 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Hello all,

Been using the Atlas M1 that I ordered in june on a daily basis during the past week. It is very well made and shaves like a dream, peach smooth in two strokes. And how forgiving it is: no need to think about how to shave when using it in the morning.

However I cannot feel it 'working' and am wondering if I should change the base plate to get a bit more agressiveness.

During the week before last week I tried my newly aquired R 41 (thanks to the reviews on this forum). Also a fantastic shaver. Loaded with a Feather (the only blades I use) it gives perfect results. However the R41 likes to be handled with a satin glove so to speak. Using it reminds me more of shaving with a straight razor. But after 6 shaves with it there was no skin irritation.

What I cannot quite figure out is why the Atlas gives a perfect result without any effort from my side. Even a 34c requires more attention. I do notice that the Atlas is machined to a higher standard then say a Mühle r41 or a Merkur 34c. It's made very tight and the blade fits tight too. Could it be that the lack of sensation I experience with the Atlas is caused by a blade that does not flex and remains rigid? Mühle and Merkur make good razors that I cherish, but the Atlas is in a league of its own.

Any suggestion?

Tilly1648

Ps: I was able to aquire an Ikon Standard and a Shavecaft 102 thanks to two forum members who offered them for sale. The Ikon arrived last week and I am waiting for the 102 to be delivered. Tried the Ikon this morning: perfect shaver.

"What I cannot quite figure out is why the Atlas gives a perfect result without any effort from my side."

So what comes after "perfect"

10 130
 07-17-2015, 09:08 AM
User Info
 07-17-2015, 10:17 AM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 08:45 AM)dad3*3 Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 01:46 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Hello all,

Any suggestion?

Tilly1648

"What I cannot quite figure out is why the Atlas gives a perfect result without any effort from my side."

So what comes after "perfect"

A question mark ? Biggrin

1 42
 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 09:08 AM)celestino Wrote: Shave? Biggrin

61 3,796
 07-17-2015, 04:04 PM
User Info
"Peach Smooth" in Two Passes... Must be nice!  Biggrin

The Best Razor on planet earth couldn't get me BBS in two passes.

46 1,102
 07-18-2015, 12:33 AM
User Info
(07-17-2015, 04:04 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: "Peach Smooth" in Two Passes... Must be nice!  Biggrin

It is! Smile As a matter a fact I did it again 20 minutes ago with an R41. The Mühle is good razor that I like very much. But it could hardly qualify itself for the title 'Best Razor On The Planet' could it?

There are certainly better made razors out there. Although qualifications as 'good' and 'best' are to some extent highly subjective I like to think. Maybe the question how one handles any razor is crucial here.

When I write 'in two passes' this is true. I am not boasting or inventing fairy tales in order to impress the shaving community here. Neither do I have need to satisfy narsistic ego demands.

What I think helps me is what I learned when starting shaving with straight razors 10 years ago. I treat myself to a straight razor shave once a week. I get the same results, however in 3 passes. The third pass here is without soap on a wet face completely against the grain, short upward stokes with the knive almost flat against the skin (also under the nose). Yes I do knick myself from tie to time but this is my own fault. Not the razors's.

When I shave with a DE the passes go like this.

1st pass
  • Cheeks: diagonal (bordering on the horizontal) downwards towards the corners of the mouth.
  • Top of jaw and chin bone: horizontal towards the middle of the chin from both sides.
  • Area directly underneath jaw and chin: horizontal.
  • Upper lip area: diagonally downwards towards the centre
  • Neck: Slight diagonal strokes downwards toward the centre.
2nd pass
  • Across the grain upwards short strokes, more diagonal towards the tip of the nose on the upper lip area (I do not use much soap for the second pass just a light application that leaves  the skin visible).
This leaves me with 2 small horizontal rough spots in the neck and directly underneath the lower lip. These are removed with a little water and a few short strokes.

As you can see I never make vertical downward strokes during the first pass.  They are always diagonally in variying degrees. The aim is to make oblique cuts.

During the shave I do not apply pressure to the blade and I always use my left hand (I am right handed) to stretch the skin at all times. For one thing this makes the hairs stand up and so makes it easier to cut them off. I have a reasonably tough beard (and probably also a tough skin).

This is my way of shaving. If still in doubt you're happy to come over for a coffee and an inspection of my irritation free  peach smooth skin (achieved in 2 passes) Shy

Tilly1648

1 42
 07-18-2015, 04:30 PM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 12:33 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 04:04 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: "Peach Smooth" in Two Passes... Must be nice!  Biggrin

It is! Smile As a matter a fact I did it again 20 minutes ago with an R41. The Mühle is good razor that I like very much. But it could hardly qualify itself for the title 'Best Razor On The Planet' could it?

There are certainly better made razors out there. Although qualifications as 'good' and 'best' are to some extent highly subjective I like to think. Maybe the question how one handles any razor is crucial here. 

When I write 'in two passes' this is true. I am not boasting or inventing fairy tales in order to impress the shaving community here. Neither do I have need to satisfy narsistic ego demands.

What I think helps me is what I learned when starting shaving with straight razors 10 years ago. I treat myself to a straight razor shave once a week. I get the same results, however in 3 passes. The third pass here is without soap on a wet face completely against the grain, short upward stokes with the knive almost flat against the skin (also under the nose). Yes I do knick myself from tie to time but this is my own fault. Not the razors's.

1st pass

• Cheeks: diagonal (bordering on the horizontal) downwards towards the corners of the mouth.
  • Top of jaw and chin bone: horizontal towards the middle of the chin from both sides.
2nd pass

• Across the grain upwards short strokes, more diagonal towards the tip of the nose on the upper lip area (I do not use much soap for the second pass just a light application that leaves  the skin visible).
This leaves me with 2 small horizontal rough spots in the neck and directly underneath the lower lip. These are removed with a little water and a few short strokes.

As you can see I never make vertical downward strokes during the first pass.  They are always diagonally in variying degrees. The aim is to make oblique cuts.

During the shave I do not apply pressure to the blade and I always use my left hand (I am right handed) to stretch the skin at all times. For one thing this makes the hairs stand up and so makes it easier to cut them off. I have a reasonably tough beard (and probably also a tough skin).

This is my way of shaving. If still in doubt you're happy to come over for a coffee and an inspection of my irritation free  peach smooth skin (achieved in 2 passes) Shy

Tilly1648

LOL really, do you think I was being sarcastic? If so, I really wasn't and it must seriously be nice to get Peach Smooth in 2 passes. I wish that were the case for me, SERIOUSLY! I had an M1 and couldn't get BBS and needed 4 passes with a Feather for a DFS. I hope you continue to get PSS's sir, but please keep in mind that everyone's hair growth is different so don't get offended when I say I couldn't get BBS in two passes with the Best Razor on planet earth. I have never met you, nor spoke to you, so understand I have no reason to disrespect you. Good Day Sir.

46 1,102
 07-18-2015, 09:11 PM
User Info
(07-18-2015, 04:30 PM)Ellas318 Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 12:33 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 04:04 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: "Peach Smooth" in Two Passes... Must be nice!  Biggrin

It is! Smile As a matter a fact I did it again 20 minutes ago with an R41. The Mühle is good razor that I like very much. But it could hardly qualify itself for the title 'Best Razor On The Planet' could it?

There are certainly better made razors out there. Although qualifications as 'good' and 'best' are to some extent highly subjective I like to think. Maybe the question how one handles any razor is crucial here. 

1st pass

2nd pass

During the shave I do not apply pressure to the blade and I always use my left hand (I am right handed) to stretch the skin at all times. For one thing this makes the hairs stand up and so makes it easier to cut them off. I have a reasonably tough beard (and probably also a tough skin).

This is my way of shaving. If still in doubt you're happy to come over for a coffee and an inspection of my irritation free  peach smooth skin (achieved in 2 passes) Shy

Tilly1648

LOL really, do you think I was being sarcastic? If so, I really wasn't and it must seriously be nice to get Peach Smooth in 2 passes. I wish that were the case for me, SERIOUSLY! I had an M1 and couldn't get BBS and needed 4 passes with a Feather for a DFS. I hope you continue to get PSS's sir, but please keep in mind that everyone's hair growth is different so don't get offended when I say I couldn't get BBS in two passes with the Best Razor on planet earth. I have never met you, nor spoke to you, so understand I have no reason to disrespect you. Good Day Sir.

Dear Ellas,

I didn't feel offended, disrespected or whatever.

I wish you many happy shavings.

Cheers

Tilly

1 42
 07-18-2015, 09:13 PM
User Info
Thank you Tilly, I wish you the same!

46 1,102
 07-19-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If you get a smooth face after two passes or two strokes you said (forgot how you worded it), then it's pretty efficient for you and there is no need to move on, unless you feel that your BBS/DFS is not lasting long enough or if you still feel stubble.

That's actually what I felt with my M1 plate.  It was the most comfortable shave I could ever hope for, but it just wasn't cutting, even with feather blades in it.  It's not like I have super tough beard, it's just normal, daily growth, but I had too much stubble left over with 3 passes and light touch up.  Didn't want to push my luck with irritation, so I stopped after achieving DFS.  Didn't shoot for BBS.

When I upgraded to S1 plate, it was a complete different story.  Shaves like a hot knife in butter.
I might try R1 when i get the chance, but for now I am very happy with my s1 plate.

53 760