07-13-2015, 06:53 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Over the last couple of years we have seen a substantial increase in the number of branded, less-expensive, DE razors offered.  Brands other than Merkur, Muhle, etc.  Obviously, I am not including Ikon, Above the Tie, etc.  When I peruse these newer offerings I cannot help but be stunned by the similarity in the appearance of the heads of these different brands; usually a Muhle-like structure.  My question to youse guys is whether or not you've tried any of them, and if so, was there any difference?

Examples of these brands are, Maggard's, SABI, Cadet, Parker, some low-end RRs and other "house-branded" razors offered at some vendor websites.  To me, they all look the same.  What say you?

1 796
 07-13-2015, 06:59 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Reverse engineering at it's finest Smile I am sure most of the house brands are all manufactured in the same subset of facilities and just rebranded.

Having said that, I have only directly used a Maggard OC of those you listed. It is very different than any of my other OC razors, including mainstream such as Muhle.

I have not used, but given several Parkers to friends as part of "Starter" kits and the ones I have seen are in fact very similar visually but not quite the finish work as Muhle etc.

2 1,180
 07-13-2015, 08:14 AM
User Info
Parker have been around for years, and Cadet isn't exactly the new kid on the block no longer...

The basic head geometry havn't changed much since the first Gillette DE back in 1903, and imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. As long as they shave well (and my Parker and my Cadets do shave very well) I don't care too much if they are copies or original designs.

3 4,675
 07-13-2015, 08:15 AM
User Info
(07-13-2015, 08:14 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Parker have been around for years, and Cadet isn't exactly the new kid on the block no longer...

The basic head geometry havn't changed much since the first Gillette DE back in 1903, and imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. As long as they shave well (and my Parker and my Cadets do shave very well) I don't care too much if they are copies or original designs.

This is about as good as it can be stated.

61 3,796
 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(07-13-2015, 08:14 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Parker have been around for years, and Cadet isn't exactly the new kid on the block no longer...

Parker may have been around for years, but I did not notice them until about 7-8 years ago.  Even then, they never generated much interest in forums until more recently.  Cadet may be gone, but they are referred to merely as an example of the kind of razors I was inquiring about.

But my issue is that if they all look alike, do they all perform alike.  Your response would seem to suggest that they are all alike, and that they are all quite similar and effective.  This could very well be correct as my Parker 24C is excellent, whereas my Parker 82R is merely OK.  But I also believe that not-easily-perceived-by-the-naked-eye differences in structure between razors can affect their respective performance.

1 796
 07-13-2015, 08:52 AM
User Info
I have used a few and they can all vary, really, to either similar aggression to a very pronounced one. I still find the standard Muhle and EJ head geometry is slight to mid-agression compared to most of the ones you have mentioned, Ted and I also believe that the former are of much better quality.

83 21,111
 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Thanks Celestino for your input.  I got curious because I've gotten such excellent shaves from my Parker 24C that I am wondering why I should spend >$150 for a razor [which I have done].

1 796
 07-13-2015, 10:11 AM
User Info
(07-13-2015, 09:55 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: Thanks Celestino for your input.  I got curious because I've gotten such excellent shaves from my Parker 24C that I am wondering why I should spend >$150 for a razor [which I have done].

I get 90% of the shave from a $2 Gillette ball end Tech vs a Feather AS D2 but I just can't bring myself to offloading the Feather in favor of the Tech. Maybe even with practice and a Feather blade loaded in the Tech I could get even closer to 100% but I haven't crossed that road yet.

19 775
 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM
User Info
(07-13-2015, 09:55 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: Thanks Celestino for your input.  I got curious because I've gotten such excellent shaves from my Parker 24C that I am wondering why I should spend >$150 for a razor [which I have done].

No problem, Ted, and no need to spend so much money on another razor if these are working well for you. Smile

83 21,111
 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
You can do just so much to a razor head and after awhile they become redundant. However, because of RAD we keep buying (and selling). It's like a revolving door.

122 13,210
 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The new PARKER OC,s are a new "tuning" and are quite different and improved over any other OC razor I have.....The Wolfman BBS-1 and DC are a vast improvement in design and quality....and Ikon,ABT and Tradere are excellent....so was Weber.....for your money hard to beat those Parkers...mind you just the OC,s.....a couple Cadet,s are pretty good as well....the TTO/OC and the TTO,s.....great value and excellent shavers.

6 2,045