07-13-2015, 08:13 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Some time ago I had a problem with the tops on a couple of Coates creams breaking off. My wife had some empty make up containers that look like half-sized tubs for shaving creams so I "decanted" the above mentioned tubes of cream into them and quickly realized how much I prefer tubs over tubes, except for travel. Now I try to do likewise with all my tubed creams like my other Coates and La Toja to name a few but also keep  two or three tubes for the increasingly rare bit of travel. Anyone else do this?

7 2,360
 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I really only use creams for travel along with sticks so just leave them as is so that they are easier to pack in my dopp kit. Sounds like a good idea for home use as long as they are sealed and the cream doesn't dry out.

Well done!

2 1,180
 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
Ken, I don't use creams so I have never tried this, but it sounds like a good remedy. Funny thing is that I transfer all of my soaps in tubs into shave-stick containers. Biggrin

83 21,115
 07-13-2015, 11:59 AM
User Info
I transfer mine to containers all the time, learned my lesson with a tube of Speick SC.

1 181
 07-13-2015, 02:32 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(07-13-2015, 08:27 AM)kwsher Wrote: I really only use creams for travel along with sticks so just leave them as is so that they are easier to pack in my dopp kit. Sounds like a good idea for home use as long as they are sealed and the cream doesn't dry out.

Well done!

There's no problem with them drying out, the tubs are screw-tops. I prefer soaps so my cream collection will eventually whittle down.Funny thing is Speick is the only one I haven't done it with, I like the look of the tube so much. Well, that and and the two Crabtree & Evelyn creams.

7 2,360
 07-14-2015, 11:47 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I decant my Penhaligons tube but I have an old BB jar.  For others I saved old shave cream jars (Castle Forbes).  They work great.

2 479
 07-16-2015, 12:35 AM
User Info
I'm of the opposite camp. Well, I wish I could be at least. I'd prefer to stuff my creams that are in tubs into tubes. They seem to do a better job at holding onto the scent vs tubs. Maybe I've been unfortunate and only bought creams with poor quality sealing tubs, but I've never had an issue with the tubes, other than the fact that they tend to be less value per ounce.

4 63