06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
User Info
Ok, so I'm new to this forum 'business', so bear with me.

I just wanted to share some initial thoughts on using my new razor.

To cut a long story short (no pun intended), up until about a week ago I had been shaving with a mixture of Braun electric (8590), Gillette Sensor and Gillette Mach 3 razors with mediocre results.

I had bought a Merkur Futur sometime ago, maybe three years, but for some reason that I can't remember, I had given up on it. This razor I had purchased from The Art of Shaving, together with a nice fine badger brush - No.5 and some Merkur blades.

Well, a week ago I started to think about trying to get a better shave again and so I dug out the old Futur and put a new Merkur blade in it. I was pleasantly surprised at the results and couldn't think why I had stopped using this razor. After all it's great looking - right?

I was doing OK until the third morning, when I nicked myself pretty bad and I thought uh oh!

So I started researching the web for a 'professional' razor, and after much reading and staring at pictures I decided to order an iKon OSS from Bullgoose together with a large blade sample pack and some RazorRock Caprician Lemon soap.

This morning I got to have my first shave with the iKon with a 3-day old Merkur blade from the Futur, and the RazorRock. I'll tell you right now - the results were like night and day compared to all my previous shaving endeavors.

I got a very close shave with no nicks and so much better than with the Futur. My faith has been restored in Double Edge razors and I can't wait for my next shave.

Good Job iKon!

0 1
 06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Glad to hear you returned to double edge shaving and thanks for joining TSN. To me there is nothing worse then an electric shaver. Cartridge shaving is not bad but can be very expensive considering the end result. A Futur is an excellent razor but its heavy and you have to pay attention each and every step of the way. The OSS is a fine razor which features an open comb and straight bar and should produce very good shaves with little effort. And of course single edge razors and straight razors also give excellent results with consistency.

100 12,438
 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM
User Info
Slantman said it all quite well.

I like my OSS,my best results have been with Astra SP or Feather Blades and a light to moderate coating of lather.

I haven't liked the Merkur blades

You've stumbled onto a wonderful razor,amazing handle and great over-all balance.

7 414
 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Great razor and great soap for sure. RR Caprician Lemon is one of my favorites

116 3,804
 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
User Info
IMO the best ikon out. Greg did a fantastic job.

7 1,179
 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard and Congratulations on seeking a better shave! If I can offer one word of advice and I think many will agree(but to each their own). LOSE THE MERKUR BLADES!
Or, at least try something different, in fact- PM your address and I will send you a couple to get you started!

9 333
 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM
User Info
(06-21-2012, 11:23 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Welcome aboard and Congratulations on seeking a better shave! If I can offer one word of advice and I think many will agree(but to each their own). LOSE THE MERKUR BLADES!
Or, at least try something different, in fact- PM your address and I will send you a couple to get you started!

+1

0 140
 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Welcome to the Nook! I'm looking forward to your future posts as you get more and more experience at DE shaving. Biggrin

0 396
 06-21-2012, 04:36 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Why Hello Biggrin
don't be shy!

Go on over and post in Introductions too Wink

I like the look of the iKON razors. I bet you are thrilled to have that piece of art, not only look nice, but shave nice Cool

9 1,684
 06-23-2012, 02:43 PM
User Info
Ikon OSS is on sale right now at the Ikon site for $99.00.
Great deal, I snagged one.

0 2
 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
It is on sale! What is this I see on the left?????
[Image: ikonphoto-main-3.png]

9 408
 06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
THAT on the left... is hope for the future!

Greg has *something* brewing!

9 1,684
 06-23-2012, 08:20 PM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
Welcome! Glad to hear you are giving wet shaving a second chance! Sounds like you are on your way to some great shaves with a great razor. The Gents on this forum will be more than happy to help with any of your questions. Just hang in there, it gets better and better! Cool

6 448