07-13-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
It looks like RazoRock (IB) put out a new razor on their website yesterday and it quickly sold out. A stainless steel standard head on what appears to be an iKon bamboo handle (although they claim the razor is 100% made in Canada) also in stainless steel and finished in some type of DLC coating. The price was $120. I have no idea if Joe is going to sell anymore.

http://www.italianbarber.com/collections...fety-razor

121 13,128
 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Good find! I can't help but think that iKon manufacturers Italian Barbers razors.

13 611
 07-13-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
Slant, thanks for the information.  I guess this is the one he was working on.  Looks nice.

61 3,796
 07-13-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
They sold out fast, I heard 12 went (someone on Instagram said this) and there may be more in mid August according to an Instagram post.

When I questioned the "Made In Canada" claim on the site when I saw the handle maker, minutes later the description had changed to reflect it. I'm guessing others noticed it too and perhaps he got a few emails or questions on it.

I sure wish he had kept the handles in house and not outsourced them. It is what appealed to me with the Stealth and Baby Smooth, both were full out Made in Canada.

8 2,718
 07-13-2015, 02:59 PM
User Info
(07-13-2015, 02:24 PM)Entasis Wrote: Good find! I can't help but think that iKon manufacturers Italian Barbers razors.

iKon doesn't make IB razors. The iKons are made in Texas and Thailand and IB made in Canada. However, the bamboo handle sure looks like an iKon. Same length and made from 316 stainless steel.

121 13,128
 07-13-2015, 05:38 PM
User Info
(07-13-2015, 02:59 PM)slantman Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 02:24 PM)Entasis Wrote: Good find! I can't help but think that iKon manufacturers Italian Barbers razors.

iKon doesn't make IB razors. The iKons are made in Texas and Thailand and IB made in Canada. However, the bamboo handle sure looks like an iKon. Same length and made from 316 stainless steel.
The handle on this razor IS an iKon (USA) and RazoRock (Canada) head with coating on both done by RazoRock (Canada). It was confirmed in the razor description on Italian Barber. It's the main reason I didn't try for one.

8 2,718
 07-14-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
Nice looking razor. It's another one that sells out quickly. I have given up on newer Razorock products, because I am never fast enough to get online and purchase.

0 12
 07-14-2015, 07:48 AM
User Info
I was in on it and even got one in my cart but by the time i hit the checkout it said they were out of stock and was taken out of my cart. ..very frustrating. In the very first instagram post joe said there were a few dozen available. This is the one that Joe claims to be a game changer...I would like to try it but I will just have to wait until I can over pay for one on the bst or ebay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11 61
 07-14-2015, 08:24 AM
User Info
Every new item is a game changerWink

But seriously, I know Joe is making good products and I did have the same experience you had when the slant was produced and in my cart.. three times!

Don´t know if it was worth it back then! Considering the value of my spare time it sure was not...

I am very interested to see what is coming up, RR might be pulling off a few things. The DLC coating is a nice treat for sure.

Even if Aluminium is off the charts for now. I can make up a few razors that would be pretty unique being machined and DLC coated.

If you found the ultimate razor, Joe, make a few more units  =)

21 1,175
 07-14-2015, 08:44 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-14-2015, 08:24 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Every new item is a game changerWink

But seriously, I know Joe is making good products and had the same experience you had when the slant was produced.. three times!
I am very interested to see what is coming up, RR might be pulling off a few things. The DLC coating is a nice treat for sure.

Even if Aluminium is off the charts for now. I can make up a few razors that would be pretty unique being machined and DLC coated.

If you found the ultimate razor, Joe, make a few more units  =)

Following the SMdF demand gen/pipeline model. Limited supply, huge buzz, email registration, limited availability. Yahtzee!

2 1,180
 07-14-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
It looks nice, but I would not trade my SS Slant for it Wink

61 3,796
 07-14-2015, 10:17 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(07-14-2015, 10:16 AM)hrfdez Wrote: It looks nice, but I would not trade my SS Slant for it Wink

Trade? You have been here long enough to know better. ADD! Wink

2 1,180
 07-14-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
(07-14-2015, 10:17 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 10:16 AM)hrfdez Wrote: It looks nice, but I would not trade my SS Slant for it Wink

Trade? You have been here long enough to know better. ADD! Wink

Biggrin

61 3,796
 07-14-2015, 06:22 PM
User Info
At some point, it would be nice to see a regularly available production model of one of these prototype razors everyone goes nuts for. Isn't that the general premise behind creating a prototype, to eventually produce in commercial quantities?  Just my opinion, but seems like the goal is more hype at this point.

1 69
 07-14-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
(07-14-2015, 06:22 PM)michaelAD Wrote: At some point, it would be nice to see a regularly available production model of one of these prototype razors everyone goes nuts for. Isn't that the general premise behind creating a prototype, to eventually produce in commercial quantities?  Just my opinion, but seems like the goal is more hype at this point.
I don't think we'll ever see a regular production original razor like the Stealth, Baby Smooth, Mamba or any others.

8 2,718
 07-14-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
The hype will definitely generate sales. Say what you will but I doubt anyone creates a protoype solely for his own enjoyment. He will plan to make a profit, even on these prototypes, to generate income for himself and his site. In order to get one of these razors, many register an account or save their information on his site, making it easier to purchase his stuff now and in future. That's smart!

0 82
 07-14-2015, 06:44 PM
User Info
I like my SS Stealth, having said that, for the price at the time was a bargain, I would have never paid more than that for an untested razor.  So at the time, the price was right.  I have been offered crazy money for it, but I like so I won't sell it.  It was a good Proto and cheap.

61 3,796
 07-14-2015, 06:53 PM
User Info
(07-14-2015, 06:38 PM)merepekking Wrote: The hype will definitely generate sales. Say what you will but I doubt anyone creates a protoype solely for his own enjoyment. He will plan to make a profit, even on these prototypes, to generate income for himself and his site. In order to get one of these razors, many register an account or save their information on his site, making it easier to purchase his stuff now and in future. That's smart!

Others seem to be following suit.

The Varlet was hyped more than any product I've seen in a long time, and then praised for their quick sell out of what may have only been 3-4 brushes. Wolfman has a waiting list (Mongoose too I think) and his prices are going up. What I give RazoRock credit for is always being up front and honest with how many will be released, price and has been very forth coming about the Prototype label.

If people don't want one, they don't need to follow him on Instagram or register on his site. There are plenty of other razors on the market. Some are easy to obtain and others have long wait times and waiting lists. Now we are seeing Falcon razors being discussed at over $100 and they have never released a razor or proven anything....RazoRock has proven to me that they make great hardware.

It's all business and RazoRock seems to know how to generate talk and keeping their name relevant.

8 2,718
 07-14-2015, 08:30 PM
User Info
I may trade my V1 slant for a mamba if anyone has one I have a babysmooth as well but not willing to lose that.

0 4
 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
User Info
I had a Baby Smooth and sold it after a month or so of never being able to get a decent shave with it. I'd rather wait for a known, well-performing production razor than get on the prototype hype train again.

34 508