07-13-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
http://www.wcvb.com/news/giant-lobster-h...t/34138958

I couldn't find local news video.

Maine law prohibits keeping lobsters of this size since they are excellent breeders. It was thrown back.
There are scuba diving rumors of even larger bugs down there.

32 6,459
 07-13-2015, 02:15 PM
User Info
Wow Brian now you've made me hungry..!! I wish that was on my plate tonight :-)

20 1,335
 07-13-2015, 02:25 PM
User Info
But then it wouldn't breed more legal Maine lobsters. But I know exactly what you mean!

3# is about as big as a legal Maine lobster can be, and they are just superb. I can't imagine how much meat would be in that monster. Even I would have enough lobster meat for satiation with that one.

32 6,459
 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM
User Info
LOL he's a bute no doubt, your very lucky to be where you are, I'm sure you have access to sea food I can only imagine ;-)

20 1,335
 07-13-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
Human males can't even keep it up at that age.

18 713
 07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
Dang!!!  I didn't know they could get that big and of that age.

31 1,800
 08-24-2016, 04:50 PM
User Info
I think 5 pounders are the best, mosttender and sweetest meat.  Should share but I can eat the whole lobster myself

1 53
 08-25-2016, 02:47 AM
User Info
I'm quite happy with a 1 1/2 pounder and a little steak to go with it!
Baked potato and ear of corn round out the New England dinner.

8 915
 08-25-2016, 05:25 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for sharing, Brian, it brought back memories. Far too many years ago I was interning at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md and was caring for a dear woman from Maine with a blood disorder. Out of appreciation, her husband brought me a half dozen live Maine lobster when he drove down to visit her over a weekend. I'll never forget her, nor probably the best meal I've ever had which I shared with close friends.

38 5,107
 08-25-2016, 06:09 AM
User Info
Good memories Richard!

I like lobster, but I'll pass up lobster if there are steamer clams every time. I just love piss clams as some folks call them. Walk on a tidal flat and one figures out why they got that name. They "piss" when someone walks close by as they close their shells tightly. There's a place on the coast in Wiscasset, it's nothing to look at, just a hole in the wall and a few tables right next to Rt.1 and all of the traffic. Red's Eats is the name. They have the best fried clams that I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a mess of fried clams. They are known nationally for their lobster roll and while it's good, I drive the 60 miles for the clams. Their haddock is fantastic to. My wife doesn't know what she's missing; she doesn't like seafood and always gets chicken or beef. She's inexpensive to take there. :-) We never go during tourist season, Memorial Day through Labor Day, as the lines are just too long, but my time for fried clams is rapidly approaching. Out of season there may be a handful of people on  line at most.

I'll eat lobster, but never in the shell when dining out; it's just too messy. When I do eat lobster "out" it's always in a lobster roll.

Click here for Red's Eats

One reviewer mentions Debby at the counter, and yes, she is the owner now that her father died a few years ago. Go there once or twice and she knows you. She definitely is the right person in the right job and she's been working the counter for years. Yes, that really is what the lobster roll there looks like. There's more than an entire lobster in one of their lobster rolls and it can be had with either butter or mayo.

Just over the Rt.1 bridge (north) and hang a right to go down the peninsula there is Glidden Point Oysters, go a few miles further and there is the last manually operated swing bridge in Maine. Right next to the swing bridge is a place to get a lobster roll, but it's not as good as Red's Eats. But it's a nice place to sit and watch the bridge and operator work. The video shows the bridge being operated and 2 lobster boats entering the area. The tide is going out as can be seen by the current in the water.

)

Immediately to the right of where the video was shot is the Mom and Pop store with the lobster rolls, pizza, and such. It's not a bad place for lunch.

Just up the road is a few hundred acre "coastal" horticultural garden, and a bit further down the peninsula is Boothbay and it's harbor. It's a busy area, but like all of Maine, just a few miles off of the beaten path and fewer people are found and hidden gems.

But now I'm incredibly far off the subject of the thread.

32 6,459
 06-27-2017, 04:39 PM
User Info
(07-13-2015, 02:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: http://www.wcvb.com/news/giant-lobster-h...t/34138958

I couldn't find local news video.

Maine law prohibits keeping lobsters of this size since they are excellent breeders. It was thrown back.
There are scuba diving rumors of even larger bugs down there.

Dear Brian;

That lobster in amazing.  I love lobster too.  I love it so much that i have an aquarium in my living room with lobster all the time.  

[Image: ITjrzbU.jpg]

I harvested 8 pounds of meat from that tail.  Of course, caribbean spiny lobster and maine lobster are two different kind of animals.  they are not even related.  that guy probably got 8 pounds out of the claws alone, jeje...  Its very rare that i order any lobster in a restaurant.  I have em home and cook them just the way i want.  But believe me, whenever i visit Maine, i will have one of those rolls, no questions asked.  Btw, its been almost 20 years since i had a Maine lobster in my plate.  Not that i am complaining, jajajajaja..

Best regards, my friend,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM
User Info
Florida lobster are nowhere near as big as what you gentlemen are talking about.

50 6,057
 06-27-2017, 06:14 PM
User Info
Lobster tank in the house?

I got to see this.

9 1,407
 06-27-2017, 06:17 PM
User Info
(06-27-2017, 06:14 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Lobster tank in the house?

I got to see this.

There you go my friend![Image: 9edc8c9bd7ec87406fbbe5f7b547cbcd.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 06-27-2017, 06:52 PM
User Info
 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM
User Info
Carlos is a unique individual and I mean that in a 100% good sense.

32 6,459