06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
Well, i guess it is time to do a review seeing that i have never done one on the Shave Nook. i usually do not like doing them as this is always so subjective and i do not like influencing new folks, but here goes as i have not seen much mention of this soap, here, on the forum, and possibly helping someone onto a very good product that they may enjoy.

*The lathering was done with a very-well-broken-in Semogue 830
Mystic Water (Bay Rum):
Artisan soap made by a wonderful lady, Michelle, in Maryland.

*ease of lathering = very easy to do and i usually start off with a drier brush and add water little by little. Provides a rich and creamy lather. In the photos, i loaded the brush for 15-20 seconds and worked it for 2 minutes from my 4-month-old puck.

*Very stable lather; had it on the brush in the last photo for over 5 minutes. However, i have to mention that i face-lather, exclusively, and have not tried it in a scuttle with hot water and i have heard from some that it can break down in that situation, but YMMV, as always and i can NOT verify this. i guess i need to review this point to be fair.

*Best skin care along with Mike's Natural Soaps that i have ever tried. Leaves your skin feeling very smooth and moisturized all day.

*Bay Rum is my overall favourite scent and Michelle makes the best one that i have smelled; intoxicating! i sold a brush to a member on another forum who wanted to know which soaps i was using when he received the brush. Hehe.

*Price is very, very reasonable for a 4 oz puck.

Overall, along with Mike's Natural soaps, i think this is the best soap that i have ever tried as the ingredients are very simple and natural with fantastic results. Highly recommended!
Last photo are the brushes with both Mystic Water and Mike's Natural.

75 20,883
 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Thanks for the review! I've ordered a few samples from them and have had wonderful performance even with a small sample. Once I work through a couple soaps I plan on buying full sized tubs of MW.

35 1,732
 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
User Info
Well done! One of my absolute favorite soaps and so, so easy to lather!

0 836
 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
User Info
Well written review, Celestino. Mystic Water is high on my priority list of things to acquire(whether it was your intention or not).
A quick question regarding "natural"... Do you believe the fragrance that is listed in the ingredients are natural? Ive noticed depending on the product that certain frags irritate my skin.

9 333
 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(06-21-2012, 11:03 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Well written review, Celestino. Mystic Water is high on my priority list of things to acquire(whether it was your intention or not).
A quick question regarding "natural"... Do you believe the fragrance that is listed in the ingredients are natural? Ive noticed depending on the product that certain frags irritate my skin.

I believe Michelle uses a combination of fragrance oil (frequently synthetic) and essential oils. She's very responsive, so if you email her w/ your concerns I'm sure she could help you figure out which scents would work best with your skin.

10 1,858
 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM
User Info
very nice review Celestino.

great looking lather. nice and thick, no bubbles (as MW always seems to be) and one of the best, if not best, post shave feeling soaps i have every used/tried (i have not tried Mikes, but it's up there with RR KL & 888)

i'm tempted to get the "new" coconut scent, but am waiting to see if Michelle can get it scuttle friendly with a tweak. i'm tempted to give MW another go round after figuring out after numerous test and shaves, that is was my "hot water" scuttle that was breaking down and making my lather unshaveable.

again, nice job.

8 2,718
 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
*Noah, Michelle does make an unscented soap as well, so you would not have to worry about the scent. i would highly recommend it as the scented ones have never even come close to causing irritation and i do have sensitive skin as Cella and P160 have caused irritation for me.

*Bruce, thanks and i think Michelle's soaps work beautifully for face-lathering and in scuttles if the water is not too hot. Good luck

*Pat, i would have to agree with you as both Mystic Water and Mike's Natural soaps are extremely easy to lather and provide such a rich, creamy and moisturizing lather!

75 20,883
 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
I've been using Michelle's Marakesh scent for a while now. Great soap and thanks for the review, Celestino.

9 1,199
 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
Wish I could say that I have had good experiences with Mystic Water, but I cannot. First several tries were disappointing in lather and scent. After seeing many rave reviews I tried again; same lack of success. Gave it away.

3 543
 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 02:03 PM)john parker Wrote: Wish I could say that I have had good experiences with Mystic Water, but I cannot. First several tries were disappointing in lather and scent. After seeing many rave reviews I tried again; same lack of success. Gave it away.

*That is very unfortunate as i have had nothing but amazing results with this great soap. i wish i could upload a video to show you how i do it. What was the problem that you were having?

75 20,883
 06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
Celestino, I cannot get it to make a decent lather; thin with no body after spending I don't know how much time loading the brush. End up with no cushion. Earlier recommendations included not to use hot water; I rejected that suggestion. Smells vaguely like suet. Life for me is just much easier with other soaps like D.R. Harris, Klar, TOBS and GFT.

3 543
 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
Celestino, Thank you for the review. Your comments and the other favorable comments I have come across have piqued my interest in making a purchase. I would be interested in hearing about the favored scents. I recall the MW Sandalwood was a recommended scent.

29 1,731
 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well Celestino, you've done it again. You have cost me money.Biggrin

After reading your review I ordered this today.

173 23,490
 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I ordered 3 samples and never could get decent lather with any of them. This is the first shave product that ever got thrown away in my house.

116 3,804
 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
I love the MW Coconut scented soap.Very easy to lather and plenty of cushion for a straight razor.

0 17
 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
wow, not sure if it is just me but whenever i see such mixed results of a product it just makes me want to try it out that much more, Celestino you lather looks so great and your review sure isnt helping the matter,
the mw is a oft soap yes ?

3 748
 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
(06-22-2012, 06:36 PM)syngent Wrote: wow, not sure if it is just me but whenever i see such mixed results of a product it just makes me want to try it out that much more, Celestino you lather looks so great and your review sure isnt helping the matter,

yes it's a soft soap. a bit firmer then CF and Cella, but not as firm as MWF or IK

8 2,718
 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
*John, that is unfortunate as it is an amazing soap with so much cushion and moisturizing capacity. Again, i wish i could show a video of me lathering it, but here is one if you would like to see it: http://www.mystic4men.com/ There are two videos you can watch. Regardless, if you are happy with your soaps, then that is what is important, my friend.

(06-22-2012, 03:08 PM)john parker Wrote: Celestino, I cannot get it to make a decent lather; thin with no body after spending I don't know how much time loading the brush. End up with no cushion. Earlier recommendations included not to use hot water; I rejected that suggestion. Smells vaguely like suet. Life for me is just much easier with other soaps like D.R. Harris, Klar, TOBS and GFT.

*William, i am not sure what scents you like, but the Bay Rum is extremely intoxicating and the Sandalwood is very nice, maybe a bit strong for you. It really is up to you as to which scent is best for you. You could order the Bay Rum with samples of the rest.Biggrin

(06-22-2012, 03:41 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Celestino, Thank you for the review. Your comments and the other favorable comments I have come across have piqued my interest in making a purchase. I would be interested in hearing about the favored scents. I recall the MW Sandalwood was a recommended scent.

*No worries, my friend. You can watch the videos also or ask me for suggestions. i find the best way to lather it is by starting with a drier brush and adding water little by little.

(06-22-2012, 03:52 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well Celestino, you've done it again. You have cost me money.Biggrin

After reading your review I ordered this today.

*Good luck, James. i would highly recommend it, my friend. i still do not understand the controversy unless it has to do with the very hot, or hard water issue. i have the softest water in the world i imagine, here, in Vancouver, so i have no issues lathering it, but i also do not use very hot water. i have never used one of Michelle's samples, but i am sure there is enough to make a lather with. As you can see in my photos, i do not have very much remaining in my dish and i can still get great lather. It could be the hard water combined with the high temperature that some are using, possibly.

(06-22-2012, 06:36 PM)syngent Wrote: wow, not sure if it is just me but whenever i see such mixed results of a product it just makes me want to try it out that much more, Celestino you lather looks so great and your review sure isnt helping the matter,

75 20,883
 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
  • jss
User Info
Sounds like Mystic Waters should be added to my list..Thanks Celestino....

Julian

0 264
 06-23-2012, 04:16 AM
User Info
excellent review. I have yet to try MW, and this thread isn't helping, since i have paypal open!

14 210