07-14-2015, 04:00 AM
User Info
Does anyone have a good recipe for plantains? My wife and I received a few and cannot find a recipe that makes them tastes good.

0 48
 07-14-2015, 04:33 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Made these Plantain Pancakes last weekend and they are very tasty:

Ingredients:

2 large green plantains (about 2 cups pureed)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1/8 tsp salt (a generous pinch)
½ tsp baking soda
Extra coconut oil for frying

Peel plantains (I find it easier to quarter them before I peel them) and place pieces in your blender (preferred) or food processor (okay) with the eggs. Blend to form a smooth batter (if your blender has a smoothie function, that works well here).

Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender or food processor and process on high for an additional minute (or 2-3 with a food processor to get a really good smooth batter).

Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a frying pan or on a griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter into the frying pan until your pancake is the desired size.
Let cook 4-5 minutes on the first side, until the top looks fairly dry with little bubbles in it (just like regular pancakes!).

Flip! And cook on the second side for 1½-2minutes.

Repeat with remaining batter, adding a little more coconut oil to your pan as needed.

2 1,180
 07-14-2015, 06:49 AM
User Info
I like the idea of the coconut oil Kevins recipe above uses. That will help to add flavor.

I've only had them fried and they were delicious. But I can understand how they might be flavorless if not done right since they really have little or no flavor on their own. Even a potato needs help and both are a somewhat similar starchy foodstuff.

It's pretty simple to do, and I learned to make them by watching the gents from the islands make them where I worked. They'd make them fresh on the job, so it's pretty easy to do.

Peel and cut them into disks about 3/8" thick. Place in shallow neutral oil (try it this way before using coconut oil) in a hot frying pan to cook to a very light brown; you're really only precooking them at this point to only make them soft. Remove from the oil and allow to cool for handling. In a bowl put some water and some garlic. This is your flavoring agent. Smoosh the plaintain rings to flatten and create a rough edge that will crisp up and also hold flavor. I just do the smooshing with my thumb. Submerge the disks into the garlic water and then fry again. This is the final frying and you want them golden brown and crispy on the edges.

For the garlic flavor you really need to play it by ear. It should be a hint of garlic and not strongly flavored by it. But you're cooking to your taste. I used granulated garlic, made one plaintain disk and tasted, and either added more or diluted the garlic water as required.

I can eat so much of them that I can get sick, they're that good. Eat them as you would a French fry.

32 6,445
 07-14-2015, 01:34 PM
User Info
A neighbor of mine was Puerto Rican and told me how to make them. Slice thin, fry in lard and salt. I still do that today and love them.

2 226
 07-14-2015, 05:12 PM
User Info
I like maduros best. Let them ripen till the peel is all black, and they're slightly sweet. Then saute in slices.

8 896